Chicken Scratch for Turkeys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken Scratch for Turkeys?

Does anyone use chicken scratch in their turkey feeders? I have use Corn, Milo, Sunflower Seeds and Rice with some success.

I wouldn't go with staight scratch you'll loose more to tweety birds than the turkeys get.
    But it sure wouldn't hurt to add some into the corn while the poults are on the ground. We usually add about 1 bag for every 3 bags of corn.

Comment

It does help and tex4k is correct on tweety birds. I have gone with a mix scratch,milo,corn,soybeans, and even throw protein in if left over from my protein feeders. Dont like to throw corn at all in summer as I have been told by my biologist and a buddy thats a deer breeder corn creates body heat somehow and they dont need that in the summer months.

Comment

I mix protein pellets and hen scratch together and put in my turkey feeders. The turkeys go nuts over it. As far as the tweety birds, they make challenging targets!!! LOL

Comment

Y'all are right about the tweety birds attacking the feeder. I mixed a bag of corn/milo/scratch and it was attacked by the tweety birds. I will mix in some protien next time.

Comment

Yes the turkeys will eat the scratch just fine, but you will lose some to birds and other animals but that is gonna happen no matter what you use.

Comment

Works fine mixed with corn, milo, protien and any other grain. We used to go to the places that crack pecans and get all the crap left over. Lots of meat left in them that the turkeys love to scratch around and get. Just spread them out on the ground.

Dave

Comment

Working...
              X