Duck hunting help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duck hunting help

My duck hunting partner has retired from the Army and moved back to Louisiana. I don't have a boat, nor a dog and I am located in the San Antonio area where there is no public hunting avail for hunting ducks. I have shot my fill of redheads in the Corpus area and I am looking for ideas on where to go without spending a fortune. I thought about joining a lease in the Houston area but since I am a solo hunter I didn't want to spend $3K to be added to a group of strangers who decides when/where the group hunts on the lease, nor did I want to do a day lease for $250 bucks a hunt. Any ideas on opportunities near me that I could do some Daffy whacking?

Choke Canyon has a big variety of ducks. Lake Corpus Christi is also pretty good during the week with good fronts. If you hunt on Choke you will need your annual public lands permit. But not needed for lake C.C. Get a guide at first and learn the lakes. Or you could scout it out a day or two and figure out where there at. Just be careful at Choke Canyon they have some monster gators that are not as spooky like the Aransas area.
    Last edited by Muddy Bud; 06-24-2017, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Man, I would just keep hunting the coast, not too far, and as good if not better public hunting than you'll find anywhere in TX.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
        Man, I would just keep hunting the coast, not too far, and as good if not better public hunting than you'll find anywhere in TX.

I agree with this.... last year at the coast in two trips I killed pintails, red heads, green wing teal, blue wing teal, shovlers, gadwall, wigeon, woodies, mottled, and one lost greenhead.

Comment

Yep, there can be good public hunts else where in TX. But it takes a lot of work. I haven't found any spots yet where you can roll in and wack them first hunt.

I'm hoping to get some coast hunts in this year! I want to move there.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
            Choke Canyon has a big variety of ducks. Lake Corpus Christi is also pretty good during the week with good fronts. If you hunt on Choke you will need your annual public lands permit. But not needed for lake C.C. Get a guide at first and learn the lakes. Or you could scout it out a day or two and figure out where there at. Just be careful at Choke Canyon they have some monster gators that are not as spooky like the Aransas area.

I called the Lake CC office last year and they said you have to do your hunting from a boat and can not hunt from any shore/island on the lake. Do you have the name of any guides that hunt on it so I can get an idea of what they charge?

Comment

Originally posted by hoytassassin View Post
              I agree with this.... last year at the coast in two trips I killed pintails, red heads, green wing teal, blue wing teal, shovlers, gadwall, wigeon, woodies, mottled, and one lost greenhead.
              PM Sent

Comment

Look up Hired gun duck hunts. I guide for them

Comment

Man you guys are in a good spot. If I can find a friend to go, I will definitely look ya'll up. Besides airboat rides and the best!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X