Suppressor possession question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruark View Post
    Got a question: I was talking with a guy who sold suppressors (I don't have one yet). He was saying that you MUST have your stamp, or a copy of it, with you ANY time you are in possession of the suppressor: at home, in the car, in the field, wherever.

He also said, if I recall correctly, that only the owner of the stamp can be legally in possession of the suppressor. So, say, if your wife or friend is driving your car and the suppressor is in it and they get stopped, they could get in bad juju. Or letting your buddy borrow it and take it to the rifle range or hunting. No can do. Same goes for, say, taking it over to somebody's house and leaving it.

This was the first I've heard of this, but I guess both make sense legally. Can any suppressor veterans out there confirm and/or comment?
    As other have indicated, in short, the above statements are correct^^^^^^

Comment

Listen to SC

Also have been told Digital copies of stamps are fine too

Comment

Rampant misinformation as some have provided in this thread is not something you need to mess around with when dabbling in NFA items.

If you are unclear, seek professional legal counsel BEFORE getting into the NFA stuff.

There’s been a few threads on here that made me wince in concern lately, especially since eFile Form 1s came available again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I got a one shot trust from Silencer shop. I can add anybody at anytime to the trust on my gun without paying the trust fees and cost. I just have to get a piece of paper notarized and it is legal for them to have possession.

Like said above, anything you 2nd guess with a suppressor get professional help. No worth risking anything for a suppressor.

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you planned on getting searched by a cop.

Yes legally you should be with the person if they are not on the trust

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post
              I don’t see how that would be any different than an efile approved stamp. You don’t get the actual stamp, just an electronic version to be printed.
              I'm not worried about being legal...I get concerned with LE being ignorant. I got stopped about 3 years ago by a young'n who was in a black & white who saw a suppressed SBR & was informed I was going to get arrested because he didn't know any better. Three back ups & a supervisor later, it was all good.

All my other FORMs have a stamp & can see where the M16 certified copy may cause some confusion if ever checked only because it's clearly different. I know it can all be somewhat quickly verified.

Was mostly just curious if Sean had ever had a client get some grief with a certified copy since he sees so much of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                I'm not worried about being legal...I get concerned with LE being ignorant. I got stopped about 3 years ago by a young'n who was in a black & white who saw a suppressed SBR & was informed I was going to get arrested because he didn't know any better. Three back ups & a supervisor later, it was all good.

All my other FORMs have a stamp & can see where the M16 certified copy may cause some confusion if ever checked only because it's clearly different. I know it can all be somewhat quickly verified.

Was mostly just curious if Sean had ever had a client get some grief with a certified copy since he sees so much of this.
                Always afraid of this also when traveling with cans or sbr’s

Been stopped once with cans and luckily he didn’t snoop around much or it’s a 50/50 chance how he would’ve reacted and how much of my day is ruined from someone being uneducated.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                  Sean,

Have you ever run across anyone having problems with a certified copy of Form?? By that I mean my stamp was never received for my M16 & had to get a certified Copy for verification. The original has an initial embossed on the lower left instead of the stamp, but when you go to make a copy it looks to be a plain ole Form. Other than the initial...the embossment doesn't show.

Thanks...
                  No. A duplicate copy of the form for is the same as a copy with a stamp. There should not be an issue

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post
                    I don’t see how that would be any different than an efile approved stamp. You don’t get the actual stamp, just an electronic version to be printed.
                    The problem is that the duplicate copy does not have a stamp on it and someone who is ignorant of what a duplicate copy is might question the lack of a stamp.

This would be because of their expectation that a valid form four has a stamp on it.

Comment

The best way to deal with the issue of ignorant Law Enforcement Officers pawing through your Firearms is to keep them in lock cases and not tell them about them

Comment

If anyone has any questions feel free to call me. 281.451.4175 or look at the website www.Texasguntrust.com

Comment

Originally posted by SC-Texas View Post
                          The best way to deal with the issue of ignorant Law Enforcement Officers pawing through your Firearms is to keep them in lock cases and not tell them about them

But I'd rather show them off and try to sell them one.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                            But I'd rather show them off and try to sell them one.
                            Well there is that

Comment

Originally posted by SC-Texas View Post

No doubt...that same said LE looked at me funny when he saw the Oehler 35P crony & didn't understand why anyone would need to know bullet speed.

It's all out of sight / mind now...that was quite the fiasco.

Comment

My general answer is no and it's none of your business

Comment

Working...
                                X