No announcement yet.

The other 13 thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The perfect morning to land him good luck!

Comment

Everything seems so good for him to slip on in. Activity is dead so far. I’m gonna sit as long as my body will let me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

See ya next season 13!
        Last day home and I might as well play in the snow with my kid, I gave it hell.

Hard to believe I couldn’t kill a deer that was so killable at times. I’ll be anxious to see him next year if makes it and hangs around here.
        I hope he summers on my place and I can watch him grow.

Comment

Thanks for taking us along

Comment

Followed this hunt.... awesomeness. Thanks for allowing us to come along. Enjoy the snow with you kid. That is what we will be doing.

Comment

Great thread, thanks

Comment

Awesome thread, fun to follow.

Comment

VERY good hunt thread!! Just think how nice he'll be next year!! Thank you sir for taking the time to bring the rest of us along on your hunts. It is much appreciated.

Comment

Hopefully next October!

Comment

Great thread and I have enjoyed following it. Just thinking.. he was extremely killable. I wonder if that one marginal wind hunt caused him to check things out before he came in after that. i have had it happen before when a buck busted me, he didnt quit coming but started circling around before he came in. I wrote a story about that on here somewhere.

Comment

Motivation for next year!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hix View Post
                          See ya next season 13!
                          Last day home and I might as well play in the snow with my kid, I gave it hell.

Hard to believe I couldn’t kill a deer that was so killable at times. I’ll be anxious to see him next year if makes it and hangs around here.
                          I hope he summers on my place and I can watch him grow.

Sounds like a win to me and you have a buck to look forward to hunting next season!

Comment

The other 13 thread...

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and for following along. I made a few mistakes along the way, some I knew better. But I learned a lot this season hunting one single deer. I’ll be adding an additional setup this spring and improving the existing stand. I really hope I can continue this next year and I am really looking forward to my new spot across the road. It’s full of deer and will be a hot spot during the rut and another place 13 visits.

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                            VERY good hunt thread!! Just think how nice he'll be next year!! Thank you sir for taking the time to bring the rest of us along on your hunts. It is much appreciated.
                            You’re welcome thank you for following.

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                            Great thread and I have enjoyed following it. Just thinking.. he was extremely killable. I wonder if that one marginal wind hunt caused him to check things out before he came in after that. i have had it happen before when a buck busted me, he didnt quit coming but started circling around before he came in. I wrote a story about that on here somewhere.
                            You may be right. The last two times he showed up in the morning the wind was in his favor and I wasn’t there. However when the wind is perfect like this morning there is absolutely no way he can circle me and know if I’m there. He would have to walk out in the field I walk through.

Unless he’s bedded extremely close and hears me climbing up I think it’s just bad luck or he won’t show when the wind is from the north.

This is the setup, the camera is mounted to the side of tree the fence is built on. I check it from the field side then step over 15 yards and climb up a big pine. My steps circle around ending up on the inside. Only time I go in is to corn midday.

Can’t wait to see if he stays and how much he adds on. He will be my only target for this county.
                            Last edited by Hix; 01-16-2018, 02:46 PM.

Comment

13 has been a rough number this year.

You gave it hell though for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Hix View Post
                                Thanks everyone for the encouragement and for following along. I made a few mistakes along the way, some I knew better. But I learned a lot this season hunting one single deer. I’ll be adding an additional setup this spring and improving the existing stand. I really hope I can continue this next year and I am really looking forward to my new spot across the road. It’s full of deer and will be a hot spot during the rut and another place 13 visits.

You’re welcome thank you for following.

You may be right. The last two times he showed up in the morning the wind was in his favor and I wasn’t there. However when the wind is perfect like this morning there is absolutely no way he can circle me and know if I’m there. He would have to walk out in the field I walk through.

Unless he’s bedded extremely close and hears me climbing up I think it’s just bad luck or he won’t show when the wind is from the north.

This is the setup, the camera is mounted to the side of tree the fence is built on. I check it from the field side then step over 15 yards and climb up a big pine. My steps circle around ending up on the inside. Only time I go in is to corn midday.

Can’t wait to see if he stays and how much he adds on. He will be my only target for this county.

Its very possible that he quit coming on a wind that didnt allow him to scent check it.

Comment

Working...
                                X