6.7L ford buying used checklist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.7L ford buying used checklist

I have both googled and YouTubed this, but wanted the green screen help on it.

What is a good checklist for buying a 6.7l ford? I’ll have Carfax pulled, check panels for ford marks, etc. I want to know the 10-20 things you look at on a 2014-16 F350 for the power train specificly..

Just your typical stuff honestly. Make sure all the fluids look and smell fresh. Check for blow by. Pray that whoever had it before you put quality fuel in it and changed filters often. That seems to be the biggest down fall on them. When you buy one, plan to replace the cold side intercooler pipe pretty soon. Specially if you ever pull anything. I didn’t and it left me on the side of the road on the way to the lease one weekend.

Enjoy it! My ‘15 King Ranch is my favorite truck I’ve ever had. It’s got a ridiculous amount of power and is as comfortable as can be. I plan on keeping this truck no less than 10 years!!

Comment

following... Just bought '15 kingranch from my brother with 88,000 miles so I know its been taken care of... ... A beast to say the least

Comment

Originally posted by Mace View Post
        following... Just bought '15 kingranch from my brother with 88,000 miles so I know its been taken care of... ... A beast to say the least
        That’s awesome when your aren’t trying to suss out what kind of a truck owner they were, cheers to you!

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
          Just your typical stuff honestly. Make sure all the fluids look and smell fresh. Check for blow by. Pray that whoever had it before you put quality fuel in it and changed filters often. That seems to be the biggest down fall on them. When you buy one, plan to replace the cold side intercooler pipe pretty soon. Specially if you ever pull anything. I didn’t and it left me on the side of the road on the way to the lease one weekend.

Enjoy it! My ‘15 King Ranch is my favorite truck I’ve ever had. It’s got a ridiculous amount of power and is as comfortable as can be. I plan on keeping this truck no less than 10 years!!
          Thanks! How much does that run and could you rate it on DIY for a slightly above average DIYer? (Meaning can you do the inetercooler pipe with an average dude’s garage of tools and time)

Comment

Originally posted by mjbtexas View Post
            Thanks! How much does that run and could you rate it on DIY for a slightly above average DIYer? (Meaning can you do the inetercooler pipe with an average dude’s garage of tools and time)
            You can buy them directly from H&S (that’s the brand i run) for around $250. I had my guy do it while it was in for an oil change for an extra $50. They’re not bad to do on your own. You don’t need many tools, just a PITA to get in place. I’d bet in a couple hours you could have her done.

Comment

The radiators are prone to breaking on the driver side...some of those trucks have two radiators

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post

This and plan on a “disaster prevention kit” or a FASS fuel filter system ASAP. Either of these will prevent a blown fuel pump from trashing the entire fuel system. Without this when the fuel pump fails,and it will sometime after 100,000 miles, the pump will send metal shaving through the fuel system which is an $8500 - $10,000 repair.

Comment

15+ models only. Buy one with emissions in tact

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                    The radiators are prone to breaking on the driver side...some of those trucks have two radiators
                    I’m on my 3rd radiator on my 2014. Solid truck other than that. 240,000 miles

Comment

For starters I would buy 15-16 if you can help it.

Comment

Thanks to all

Comment

Originally posted by Mtltx View Post
                          I’m on my 3rd radiator on my 2014. Solid truck other than that. 240,000 miles
                          Is your truck deleted? Im not asking because of the radiator failures just curious if you have that many miles stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Cullbuck View Post
                            Is your truck deleted? Im not asking because of the radiator failures just curious if you have that many miles stock.
                            It is not deleted. All stock

Comment

I just Sold my 2014 lariat f250 for the fuel contamination reason and bought another 6.7 cummins tradesman. Make sure you buy a 15 and up with the improved fuel system.

I didn't pay much attention to the problem until the only two buddies I know personally with 2014 6.7 powerstrokes got fuel contamination on their trucks. One got it around 90k miles. The other got it around 130k. Fried both their motors and left them both stranded. One truck was bone stock, the other had deletes and a upgraded fass fuel system and it still happened. My mechanic friend makes a living off fixing 6.7 powerstrokes with fuel contamination. Do yourself a favor and buy a 2015 or 2016.

I know a lot of guys will disagree with me on this, but my 2016 ram 2500 I just bought rides and handles so much better than my 2014 f250 did. My buddy just sold his 2017 platinum for a 2018 ram tradesman and says the exact same thing. The new 4 link coil system in the ram 2500 is so smooth. (I even had fox shocks in my f250). I would consider a ram if I were you. Only thing the ford has over the new ram is a better transmission. Also I'm getting 20-21 mpg in my cummins with the emissions still on. My deleted f250 would only get 15
                              Last edited by Arrowthreat; 06-04-2019, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X