Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-07-2019, 05:58 AM   #1
duckman49
Ten Point

Hunt In: Chambers County
Default Pellet gun help

I grew up shooting a Benjamin pellet gun and have killed a ton of animals with it but never had any luck with a scope on a pellet gun.
I'm looking for a pellet gun with a scope for me and the kids to shoot at the house that will stay sighted in good enough to build confidence shooting. Thanks
duckman49 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2019, 06:04 AM   #2
mudbone
Eight Point

Look at the RWS brand and different models. I currently have the RWS 48. These are middle of the road $ price. They are accurate but they can be heavy.
mudbone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2019, 06:10 AM   #3
duckman49
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbone View Post
Look at the RWS brand and different models. I currently have the RWS 48. These are middle of the road $ price. They are accurate but they can be heavy.

Thanks, we will be shooting from a bench on the porch so that's not a problem. How far do you have yours sighted in for?
Old 02-07-2019, 06:56 AM   #4
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

We have 3 gamos with scopes. One my kid finally wore out and two whisper cats. I have been happy with the whispers. My wifes got drug out the other day and its still dead nuts accurate to 40 yards maybe more
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2019, 07:48 AM   #5
coop2564
Ten Point

Hunt In: STX, E. Texas and Louisiana!

I just cant get a springer to shoot consistently good. with or without scope.
coop2564 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2019, 07:54 AM   #6
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

You must use a scope specifically made for pellet guns. Even the very best rifle scopes will fail on pellet guns due to the sharp, reverse recoil that the spring or piston imparts to them.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2019, 08:15 AM   #7
Blackmouth
Six Point

I've also heard springers need a different type scope, not sure if your's is a spring action type or not though
Blackmouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2019, 08:28 AM   #8
ba1005
Four Point

Hunt In: Webb County

Another vote for a gamo. Got my son one for Christmas. Its super accurate with a nice scope and trigger.
ba1005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2019, 08:40 AM   #9
txtradesman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I have a Benjamin Titan Nitro piston in the classifieds less than a year old and only shot a handful of times
txtradesman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2019, 08:41 AM   #10
txtradesman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

22 caliber with a scope

Heck of a deal. If it doesnt sell this week Im keeping it
txtradesman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2019, 08:43 AM   #11
Johnny44
Eight Point

I went a different route and found complete happiness for my purpose.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JS72NCS...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2019, 09:11 AM   #12
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

For your application, probably your best bet would be to go with a spring air or nitro piston break-barrel gun. They are low maintenance and generally very accurate (one hole accuracy with good ammo out to 30 yards and beyond). There are 3 characteristics for break-barrel air guns that if controlled will make you a better shooter and happy with the results of shooting them.
1. They can be heavy. If a break barrel air gun is NOT heavy, it's not well made. It takes some steel to manufacture this type of gun because of the high energy stored in the spring or gas piston and sudden high dynamic forces involved in the firing of the gun.
2. Because of those dynamics of a piston slamming forward very rapidly to generate the air charge/energy to launch the projectile, they can destroy many rifle scopes. A scope no matter the quality must be spring/air rated in order to be successfully used on a spring air gun. FYI, ALL Hawke Sport Optic scopes are air gun rated AND they have a very nice free software/app for ballistics specifically designed for air guns (chair gun pro).
3. Again because of the recoil characteristics of a break-barrel air gun, they can be challenging to shoot accurately. The pellet travels down the barrel rapidly, but not like a powder burner bullet fired from a regular gun. The reverse recoil can cause the muzzle to be at a different place when the pellet exits the barrel from one shot to the next... They are almost impossible to hold still during the firing sequence. Therefore it is best to let them "do their thing"... let the barrel "jump" as it wants. If this is done, they are extremely accurate. If you want to learn how to do this consistently, you need to learn to master the "artillery hold" when shooting them. Just get on you tube or the googler and search that term for air guns... Basically, the gun is caressed rather than held tightly. The fore end rests flat in the palm of the forward hand so that it is free to move. The stock is held no tighter with the trigger hand than is necessary to keep in mounted and fired. With a little practice, you can become very proficient with this hold. And, this will in turn help your accuracy with a powder burner because by its very nature it teaches you better trigger control.
If you want to learn all about these guns and even a good place to buy them and quality ammo, go to www.pyramidair.com .
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2019, 07:44 PM   #13
tazhunter0
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can!!!

I have a Maurader .177cal listed for sale in the classifieds. Do a search of my name.
tazhunter0 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2019, 07:51 PM   #14
xman59
Pope & Young

I had a beman .22 cal that was stupid accurate out to about 80 yards,, I do not recall what scope was on it but I did try every pellet I could get my hands on till I found the one it really liked,,, I am thinking about getting another or a whisper pretty soon
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2019, 07:51 PM   #15
CTR0022
Eight Point

wrong topic....

Last edited by CTR0022; 02-07-2019 at 07:59 PM.
CTR0022 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2019, 08:03 PM   #16
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
You must use a scope specifically made for pellet guns. Even the very best rifle scopes will fail on pellet guns due to the sharp, reverse recoil that the spring or piston imparts to them.
That's very true. I put a centerfire rifle scope on my Beeman R1, shortly after I got it, it only lasted about 20 minutes of shooting before it killed the scope. I don't remember what the second scope was I put in the R1, but that scope lived through a few hundred thousand shots without any problems.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2019, 08:09 PM   #17
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

Hunt In: at home

I have a Beman R1 as well. You have to buy an airgun scope for those. I didn't pay much for the scope on it now and it works fine. It is something that I picked up at Cabelas years ago. I started out with one of the original Aimpoints on it and added a 3X multiplier. Fantastic gun but they were bought out and the quality went to pot from what I heard. I haven't seen one in a gun shop for a long time now.
60 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2019, 08:17 PM   #18
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mainly Guide Now

There was almost a decade where the most expensive scope in the house was on the RWS......
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 06:26 AM   #19
duckman49
Ten Point

Thanks for all the info!!