Texas archery laws and felons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas archery laws and felons

I know its been posted a lot but nothing comes up in my search.... what is the texas law that permits felons to archery hunt...thanks ..

I'm not aware of a law "permitting" felons to hunt with Archery equipment. There are laws saying they can't own or possess a firearm.

Since the law is only banning firearms then Archery equipment is legal.

Comment

To my knowledge there is no law the prohibits a felon from owning archery equipment.

I do know of one individual who had a parole officer that denied him hunting with archery equipment. Don't know details but know that is what I was told

Most felons can own primitive blackpowder weapons also.

Are you trying to help someone with a past or restrict someone?

Comment

not that I know of...

matter of fact, I know a few POs who actually sign off on travel permits all the time for guys to leave the county to specifically go bow hunting...

Comment

There have been several threads about this on here before https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=125409

Comment

They can even use black powder

Comment

I’ve never seen anything that would restrict a felon from archery or bow hunting

Comment

My follow up shift foreman is a felon. He told me he is not allowed to bow hunt if he has a release. ANYTHING that uses a "trigger" he cannot use, according to his parole officer. No cross bow, no compound with a release.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                  My follow up shift foreman is a felon. He told me he is not allowed to bow hunt if he has a release. ANYTHING that uses a "trigger" he cannot use, according to his parole officer. No cross bow, no compound with a release.
                  Sounds like his PO is a dummy

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post

[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                      I'm not aware of a law "permitting" felons to hunt with Archery equipment. There are laws saying they can't own or possess a firearm.

Since the law is only banning firearms then Archery equipment is legal.
                      ^^^this is my understanding also, and if i'm thinking right you can use black powder??

Comment

The federal case of duke boys vs hazard county paved the way for convicted felons rights to use archery equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
                          Sounds like his PO is a dummy

No, judge can make specific restrictions on felons and sometimes they say no weapons period including archery.

Originally posted by stickerpatch59 View Post
                          ^^^this is my understanding also, and if i'm thinking right you can use black powder??
                          Can't use modern muzzleloaders

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                            No, judge can make specific restrictions on felons and sometimes they say no weapons period including archery.

Can't use modern muzzleloaders
                            Sometimes, sometimes not. I've "worked" in conjunction with some POs in the past, and yes, some are iduots. Some want to impose their own set of rules because, as they say, "I can do what I want to do." And I've been around enough in 30 years as LEO to know there are some good ones, but most are almost as bad as CPS workers.

Comment

I was in WalMart in line to get a hunting liscense about ten years ago. The guy in front of me was waiting when the lady behind the counter said I’m sorry sir I can’t give you a liscense. You are a felon. His response was “Ok. I thought I’d try”.

I don’t know if that was right or not but always thought you couldn’t hunt without a liscense.

Comment

Working...
                              X