No announcement yet.

Camping at LBJ Grasslands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There used to be a hidden tank in Unit 39 that was phenomenal fishing. Could almost catch fish with a bare red hook.

Unit 15 in the pines is one of the best camping spots up there.

Comment

Stay away from those spots Skin! I'm joking.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post

Haha! The one area to the west of Black Creek Lake was a little sketchy. Lol. Dudes camping out, drinking big ole cans of beer while wearing machetes. We kinda just eased in and out of there. [emoji23]

Skinny

Comment

Did you see the big cow?

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
            Did you see the big cow?

Yep and my wife n kids were like who is Froggy??? Haha. Froggy said check this out, etc etc. lol

Skinny

Comment

We have camped at Black Creek Lake a few times. We set our camper up on the edge of the turn around before the entrance. The kids love it! Its a shame that its 20 minutes from my house and I don't spend more time out there!

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
                We have camped at Black Creek Lake a few times. We set our camper up on the edge of the turn around before the entrance. The kids love it! Its a shame that its 20 minutes from my house and I don't spend more time out there!

I hear that! Pretty cool place. We did come across a spot with about 60 vehicles...guessing it was a scout troop or something. Lots of kiddos. That was in one of the units leading up to the pines.

Skinny

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
                  I hear that! Pretty cool place. We did come across a spot with about 60 vehicles...guessing it was a scout troop or something. Lots of kiddos. That was in one of the units leading up to the pines.

Skinny
                  It is a group of LDS youth groups, (Mormons). They have their kids reenact the trek of their ancestors to Utah. They pull handcarts loaded with their supplies to experience what their forefathers went through. They drag those handcarts for miles on the trails.

Here's a FB page about the Caddo/LBJ where the District Ranger gave a heads up on this event.

This group will focus on Caddo-LBJ National Grassland users. It will promote and foster professional dialog between all user groups. This is a safe place where user groups can have constructive...
                  Last edited by Froggy; 05-11-2018, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Haha! The one area to the west of Black Creek Lake was a little sketchy. Lol. Dudes camping out, drinking big ole cans of beer while wearing machetes. We kinda just eased in and out of there. [emoji23]

Skinny
                    That's to bad. It is normally a nice little spot with some decent fishing. If you plan on doing any hiking with the kids just keep in mind it is still the last weekend of turkey season out there. Really wish I could make it out there more. I used to be out there all the time when I lived 25 min away. Now with being farther away I don't get out nearly as much.

Comment

Many moons ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
                        It is a group of LDS youth groups, (Mormons). They have their kids reenact the trek of their ancestors to Utah. They pull handcarts loaded with their supplies to experience what their forefathers went through. They drag those handcarts for miles on the trails.

Here's a FB page about the Caddo/LBJ where the District Ranger gave a heads up on this event.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/777734109005078/

Ahhhh. Good deal. I’m going to join that FB group to stay up to date on things. Thanks!

Skinny

Comment

Ahhhh. Good deal. I’m going to join that FB group to stay up to date on things. Thanks!

Skinny
                          Here's another one you might like.

LBJ Grasslands Deer Hunters

Comment

What about unit 60? Should I stay away from there? Just wondering. [emoji12]

Skinny

Comment

Never been on 60 that I recall, usually 29, 30, 31, 33, or 15.

Did you camp on the grasslands?

Comment

Never been on 60 that I recall, usually 29, 30, 31, 33, or 15.

Did you camp on the grasslands?

We are thinking about camping this weekend. Might camp at Black Creek lake in the pay to use area. Do you know if swimming is allowed in Black Creek lake?

Skinny

Comment

Working...
                                X