Pier and beam foundation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pier and beam foundation

Has anyone built with one of these lately? As I understand it they are better than typical slab with piers but quite a bit more costly. Are they worth it?

I bought one 2 years ago. Its pier and beam but probably not like a professionally built system. As a result i had to do quite a bit of work to get it right.
    I really like it and always wanted a pier and beam house. When there are problems ( plumbing) i can fix it. Ground shifts, I can fix it.

Comment

it has been 15 years since I built mine.

Reasons.
      Did it myself no need to hire a crew.
      Floor gives, a little easier on your back and legs
      If it settles, It is cheaper and easier to repair.

Disadvantages.

Harder to resale.
      Floor can get cold.
      If doing it yourself can be time consuming.

I do not know what todays cost comparsions are.

Comment

Are you talking concrete with pier and beam, or old style? I checked on adding piers with my slab, and it was an additional $45K. I passed on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Laszlo View Post
          Has anyone built with one of these lately? As I understand it they are better than typical slab with piers but quite a bit more costly. Are they worth it?
          Why would you say they are better? They are definitely less expensive.

Comment

I have always heard they cost more and take longer. One of the bids I'm getting for our new house will have pier and beam spec'd as thats all he does. Just googling it gives me lots of different styles and approaches. Soil reports that ground is stable. Recommended typical slab with piers.

Can anyone give me some info on what to watch for quality wise. Builder has a good rep and is giving me references.
            Last edited by Laszlo; 09-28-2017, 03:36 PM.

Comment

I would have someone else in the know take a look at the soil reports if your not familiar reading them.

Comment

I do not have recent experience but, our house was built in '66. It's a 3200 sqft ranch style pier and beam with solid brick exterior. Even the great room (18' x 35') is brick flooring. You won't find a crack anywhere. The only structural issue is the garage floor which had one corner sink 8" and it is slab.

We did fight moisture for awhile. I put in a French drain and put three roof mounted exhaust fans that are humidity controlled and pull air from under the house. No more moisture. I am considering doing a spray foam under the house to make floors warmer in Winter.

Being an older home, we have done a lot of remodeling. Being able to easily redo or move plumbing (water, gas and sewer) has been priceless.

As to whether it is worth it? That's a personal decision based on how long you will stay in the house. You won't get the money back in resale.
                Last edited by Rush2Judge; 09-28-2017, 04:08 PM.

Comment

The soil report tells you all you need to know regarding the type slab required. If you have great soil why spend money on a pier and beam slab that you dont need?

Comment

I think some of you do not know what a pier and beam foundation is.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry H View Post
                      That's what I was thinking Jerry.

I built my house myself and we went with a pier and beam. The plumbing was the last thing I did and is usually the first with the slab. I wouldn't have done it any other way even though it was more expensive. I have 4" of washed river pea gravel under the house and lights as well.

Comment

It's OK Draco I am not going to hold their youth and inexperence against them

I would bet they don't know said that the first time either

Comment

Well educate us.

Comment

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
                            Well educate us.
                            Ok

A pier and beam foundation is where you have a concrete perimeter (beam)
                            and piers in the middle to support the floor joist with a crawl space in between the ground and the floor joist. There have been several on this thread mention a slab and pier and beam foundation is not a slab foundation.

You're welcome

Comment

Ok

A pier and beam foundation is where you have a concrete perimeter (beam)
                              and piers in the middle to support the floor joist with a crawl space in between the ground and the floor joist. There have been several on this thread mention a slab and pier and beam foundation is not a slab foundation.

You're welcome
                              ...what are you saying???

Piers run vertically (into the ground), beams run laterally and are supported by the piers. a slab can have piers, a good one should have them. The perimeter around the foundation is called a 'footing'

Comment

Working...
                              X