String hitting my wrist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

String hitting my wrist

Just got in my new Bear Grizzly. Every time I shoot the string hits me about where my wrist is. I ordered it from 3riversarchery and had them set it up. Should I go to my pro shop for help or does somebody have some advice they can offer?

More than likely its your grip. Try weakening your grip by letting the bow rest on the thumb pad of your grip hand, thus having your knuckles pointing up. This will naturally create a slight bend in your elbow.

Comment

Originally posted by Leef View Post
      More than likely its your grip. Try weakening your grip by letting the bow rest on the thumb pad of your grip hand, thus having your knuckles pointing up. This will naturally create a slight bend in your elbow.
      Good advise here...

You may want to try increasing the brace height slowly.

Comment

Like said above work with your grip and check the brace height.

Comment

Originally posted by texmexboy210 View Post
          Just got in my new Bear Grizzly. Every time I shoot the string hits me about where my wrist is. I ordered it from 3riversarchery and had them set it up. Should I go to my pro shop for help or does somebody have some advice they can offer?
          ================

Hello All
          U might buy and try cat whisker's or at least that's what I call them. They are a piece of rubber, that has been slitted. U tie it on to the bow string, and then cut it. It will flare out into a rubber band ball. Put one on top and one on the bottom of your bow string. It will reduce the osculation of the bow string.

Also it might be how you are getting into the bow grip.Lay that bow flat on something. Now pick it up . With out moving the bow hand. Now draw to anchor. Now notice the space you now have, while holding the bow.

You could have your draw length checked. You might have to long of a draw length. Causing you bow hand wrist to turn in. Hope this is of some help. [ Later

Comment

I'm not a bow expert by any means, but could his draw length be too long?

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
              I'm not a bow expert by any means, but could his draw length be too long?
              No probably not, he's shooting a Bear Grizzly Recurve.

Comment

I haven't found a way to kep a recurve from hitting my arm, and I do eveything correct (according to me). Wear an armguard.

Comment

Thanks for advice, gonna give it a shot here in a few mins. Its weird cause I have hit my forearm plenty of times but not my wrist. This is a first for me.

Comment

Originally posted by texmexboy210 View Post
                    Thanks for advice, gonna give it a shot here in a few mins. Its weird cause I have hit my forearm plenty of times but not my wrist. This is a first for me.
                    I'll add from what I said earlier to see if it helps you out better. - Check the brace height and make sure it is within the recommended brace height for your recurve. I had the same problem with my Sarrels bow when I first got it and it turned out my brace height was way to low, it was around 6.5 inches when it needed to be closer 8 inches. .Good luck!

Comment

Changed my grip and positioned back left foot(im a lefty) facing the target and stopped hitting my wrist. Only thing is it feels uncomfortable. Need to check brace height, seems a little short. If it is short, what do I need to do to make it higher?

Comment

If you need a higher brace; unstring the bow, twist the string to make it shorter, restring, and re-check the brace height to make sure it is where you want it. Repeat if you have not achieved desired brace height.

BTW only twist a little at a time. I usually do one twist at a time until I find my desired brace height.

Comment

If your brace height is too low, that very well might be the reason you are hitting your arm. Your brace height should be somewhere between 7"-8". If your brace height is less that 7" just unstring the bow, take the string off one end of the bow, and twist it in the direction that would make it get tighter to raise the brace height.

Bisch

Comment

Make sure it is a flemish twist string and not an endless loop that you are twisting up.

Comment

Grip or draw length. Head back to the pro shop and let them help you.

Comment

Working...
                              X