Tuning questions from a newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuning questions from a newbie

How do you know what the right brace height is for your bow? And how do you change it? Get a different length string?

I have often heard guys talking about twisting a string to make it shorter. Does that mean making additional permanent twists in the string or just giving it a few twists each time as you're stringing the bow?

What kind of knock do you use that you can easily adjust to tune the bow? How does that work?

Are the rules pretty standard about shot impact such as: impact left= too stiff, impact right= too weak? Are there others? What about impacting high and low?

Not the best explainer! But yes to some of statements. Rick or Bish others on here will can explain alot better. Just remember to do one step at a time via nock or brace height adjustment!!!

Comment

Most bows have a published brace height from the maker of the bow. You can't tune much until the brace height is right because that's where the bow shoots, sounds, and feels the best. Shop for a string by the amo length written on the bow. If they want the actual string length I would Google the general rule for string length for a Longbow vs a recurve. Shortening the string to get the proper brace height is done by twisting the string about 5 twist and then recurve string the bow and check brace height. I would suggest Googling string tie on nocks they are easiest to tune.

Comment

So each time as you're stringing the bow, in the process you twist the string before you place it on the bowtip? Does this work with an endless loop string?

Comment

Originally posted by TXbowman View Post
          So each time as you're stringing the bow, in the process you twist the string before you place it on the bowtip? Does this work with an endless loop string?
          Once you get the right number of twists in the string to reach the proper brace height, string length will only change through stretching. When you unstring, just twist the top loop and let it slide down the limb, leaving the bottom loop on the bottom tip. You should be able to reverse the procedure to restring without effecting brace height.

Comment

Do not twist up an endless loop string... Twisting should be done on a Flemish Twist String - to shorten twist with the string rotation to drop brace height go the opposite way. Do not untwist too many times as this will cause failure.
            An endless loop string can be twisted maybe several times but, would recommend not even doing that.

Twisting the string isn't done every time unless your brace height has dropped. Once you establish the correct brace height - every bow and every person is different so there is no hard fast rule! Longbows are different than recurves as well!

If you have a recurve starting at 7 1/2" would be a safe bet for you. Longbow would be 7".. Hope this helps a bit and doesn't confuse you too much! Good luck!

Comment

I do not know where you are located, but finding an experienced trad guy to talk to in person will clear all this up in a matter of a few minutes!

Bisch

Comment

How do you know what the right brace height is for your bow? And how do you change it? Get a different length string?

I have often heard guys talking about twisting a string to make it shorter. Does that mean making additional permanent twists in the string or just giving it a few twists each time as you're stringing the bow?

What kind of knock do you use that you can easily adjust to tune the bow? How does that work?

Are the rules pretty standard about shot impact such as: impact left= too stiff, impact right= too weak? Are there others? What about impacting high and low?
                For adjustable nock points, use the search tool and look up RickBarbee's thread on adjustable nocking points. This will help you out alot with the nock point.

Also search "arrow tuning" in the traditional section and you will find a wealth of info on the subject with alot more detail.

Comment

[QUOTE=Ol Man;7397676]Do not twist up an endless loop string"

I'm just wondering why you say that. When I build endless loops strings for a compound bow one of the steps in the process is twisting and burnishing prior to serving.

I know that we are talking apples and oranges when it comes to trad and wheeled bows, but the twist isn't going to hurt the endless loop any or it would not work for compounds.

Comment

[quote=60 Deluxe;7407357]
                    Originally posted by Ol Man View Post
                    Do not twist up an endless loop string"

I'm just wondering why you say that. When I build endless loops strings for a compound bow one of the steps in the process is twisting and burnishing prior to serving.

I know that we are talking apples and oranges when it comes to trad and wheeled bows, but the twist isn't going to hurt the endless loop any or it would not work for compounds.
                    You can put a couple twists in an endless loop before it starts to "roll over" on a trad bow. But you definitely can't twist near as much as a flemish. So your range of adjustment is much smaller.
                    To the OP, like bisch said find somebody nearby you to go fool around with. You will pick info up alot quicker than on here. Have fun its addictive man.

Comment

[quote=TP3;7407413]
                      Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post

You can put a couple twists in an endless loop before it starts to "roll over" on a trad bow. But you definitely can't twist near as much as a flemish. So your range of adjustment is much smaller.
                      To the OP, like bisch said find somebody nearby you to go fool around with. You will pick info up alot quicker than on here. Have fun its addictive man.
                      Hey, wait a minute! I never told the guy to go mess around on his wife!

Bisch

Comment

Is there anybody in the San Antonio area that wants to get together for some shooting and trad talk? I'm a teacher and with school about to start I'm going to be pretty busy but I can make some time. Thanks

Comment

Is there anybody in the San Antonio area that wants to get together for some shooting and trad talk? I'm a teacher and with school about to start I'm going to be pretty busy but I can make some time. Thanks
                          I am relatively new to the board and archery, but I'm always looking to talk archery and/or shoot. Just got fresh straw bales today!

Steve

Comment

Working...
                          X