No announcement yet.

String Trackers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well Randy I've killed 5 deer every year I've been on this lease. These deer are democratic deer just looking for a free meal. Not one has jumped the string in three years. Guys who have come to this lease freak out because they aim low expecting them to duck then shoot under them. These deer were not on high alert. There were several at the feeder feeding. I've killed as many or more deer with a bow than most. Albeit with compounds but some of them old compounds weren't quiet.
    I shot it at home and it didn't seem as loud. But from inside that pop up it was really loud and those deer freaked out. Granted it was a still morning with only a slight breeze on both of them. One I was lucky enough to spine her. The one this weekend was too fast and she is still laughing at me. I aimed low to boot. Fact is it sounded similar to a bunch of small birds flushing. A doe I missed out of a tripod last week never moved until the arrow hit the other side of her. About the same distance as well. Just not for me. I have enough factors against me being new in the game without handicapping myself with that. I will try it on pigs, if we can ever get them back to the feeders, but for deer it will stay in the box.

Comment

Jones county deer spook at the sound of beating butterfly wings.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
        Jones county deer spook at the sound of beating butterfly wings.

Rick
        I can't argue that. It's wild how spooky they are. A dove flies in and lands and they act like a pack of coyotes is on them.

However this was in San Saba county.

Comment

I want one of them wireless transmitter tracking devices.
          Anyone want to donate to the cause?

Rick

Comment

String Trackers

Well, I’ve killed a pile of deer with the string tracker, and pigs too! I have not been using it lately, partly because I’m just too lazy to go dig it out of storage. Make a great shot with a great blood trail, you don’t need a string tracker! Make a shot, good or bad, that does not leave a good blood trail (I’ve had 2 out of 3 do this this year with near perfect shots) and the string can be a very valuable asset in recovering your deer!

Everybody has to make up his own mind what will or will not work for himself!

Good luck the rest of the way out!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I just want my young eyes back. When I could see the smallest drops of blood. It's a shame we have to make up for getting older by having gimmicks/tools to compensate for our weakened state.

I helped a fellow lease mate look for a wounded buck. Blood trail was meager to start and stopped after 50 yards. The chest shot he thought he had was a bit further back and there was little blood even where we found it. I went in the direction I thought the deer would go and ended up spotting it under a tree still alive. Blood trail wise though I was lost. Believe me I want the string tracker to work. But I suspected the first doe ducked but was so focused on following through and being in an elevated stand I wasn't positive. After reviewing the arrow angle of penetration though it was obvious she was turning away and leaning away when it hit her. This one this weekend there was no doubt and unfortunately that string running out through there was enough to keep them spooked away that morning.

That said I've shot deer at this lease and the group scatter. During the mandatory let them bleed out waiting period the other deer will return to the feeder for their free meal. It's not like these deer are on edge.

Comment

Not disputing the fact that they are definitely louder than without. Just stating the fact that deer at a feeder are notoriously on edge. In my experiences I've never had a deer spook because of the tracker. But I don't shoot at wired deer either.
                I've also hunted deer in south Texas off of feeders (back in my compound days) that would come right back after shooting a different one. The last time I hunted there I took 3 shots in about 5 minutes killing 2 deer. Won't talk about the first shot! Lol
                Those deer seam to depend on the feeders and will do some stupid stuff that they won't do around here. Like commit to coming in while looking at someone in a tripod. Never understood that

Comment

I think numbers and familiar scent has something to do with it. I'm amazed how calm those deer are normally. Now this last weekend I did have two on Monday that were wired, two spikes, but not sure why. Their snorting and acting crazy was causing all of them to spook. Deer were snorting everywhere. But all way up wind. Not sure if coyotes were moving through or what.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Whirrrrrrrrr.

Anybody feed line out to reduce chance of line breakage? A little slack to gauge pace?
                    Last edited by Briar Friar; 12-19-2017, 08:17 PM.

Comment

I was advised to pull a bunch of line out when new, till the hole inside the spool is about as big as a pencil, if thats what you mean. With the string attached to the point end of the arrow when nocked, there will be some slack when you draw.

Comment

I'm with you DRT. Never had one jump the string until I tried this tracker. If I can't sell it I'll try it on Turkey. Pigs are about as quick as deer.

Comment

does anyone notice any change in arrow flight? seems it would change it enough to matter.

Comment

Not at 15 yards.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dragonsdaddy View Post
                              does anyone notice any change in arrow flight? seems it would change it enough to matter.
                              I don't starting noticing any "significant" change in trajectory until about the 30 yard distance. Any distance 20 yards & less is nothing to worry about.

Rick

Comment

I shot a doe just a few days ago using one. While she never moved until the arrow was completely through her, the shot was a "a little back". She ran almost the entire spool out, around 1500 yards. I walked straight to her with the string sliding through my fingers. I won't stand hunt with out one and I have a **** fine deer dog.

Comment

Working...
                                X