Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-16-2021, 04:29 PM   #101
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Heck, i been running my fire pit for 3 days so my wife's plants are happy!!!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2021, 04:31 PM   #102
djohnson
Eight Point

Hunt In: LaSalle County

All the advice about running it all the time is valid but the problem that most of us are having is that we have no electricity. Mine was running constantly but when we lost power night before we were out of power for 23 hours. Obviously everything in the equipment froze. So I cut power to the system to keep the pumps from coming on when the power kicked in and pushing against ice and burning themselves out. Just praying that the expanding ice inside the system didn't do damage but with power outages it's become least of two evils.
djohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2021, 04:45 PM   #103
JayB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cass County

I ended up opening the pump port and disconnected the filter to let the water drain. I expect all will be ok during the upcoming thaw.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2021, 04:53 PM   #104
DXT Steve
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas
Default Lost Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgilbert View Post
Run all pumps 24/7 all you do.
We lost power, pump froze and ice popped the top off of a new Hayward pump! Sucks!
DXT Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2021, 05:50 PM   #105
Adgerc15
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Big Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
All the advice about running it all the time is valid but the problem that most of us are having is that we have no electricity. Mine was running constantly but when we lost power night before we were out of power for 23 hours. Obviously everything in the equipment froze. So I cut power to the system to keep the pumps from coming on when the power kicked in and pushing against ice and burning themselves out. Just praying that the expanding ice inside the system didn't do damage but with power outages it's become least of two evils.
I’m in the same boat, fingers crossed
Adgerc15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2021, 06:06 PM   #106
SabineHunter
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
No, the advice to run 24/7 was bad advice. Refer to post 29. I guess they cancelled that online class for you. Lol
SabineHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2021, 09:54 PM   #107
MikeyG
Ten Point

Power was off for 31 hours. I used blankets and created heat tents over equipment with space heaters connected to my generator and ran it almost the whole time. It got toasty under there! Nothing I can do about the pipes in the ground.
I shut off my breakers to not burn out the pump if the underground pipes were frozen.
Fingers crossed.
The only thing I should have done was drain my filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 12:14 PM   #108
Adgerc15
Ten Point

pools frozen solid across, maybe an inch or more by now. Is my pool or surrounding coping/patio at risk of cracking as the surface expands?

ac
Old 02-17-2021, 12:26 PM   #109
simek
Ten Point

We never lost power so pool was ok. Had a half inch of ice on it. Broke it up and we were good. Sorry to those that lost pumps or plumbing. Had we lost power, the plan was to drain the lines then wit for the thaw. Fortunately, it did not come to that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
simek is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 12:27 PM   #110
simek
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adgerc15 View Post
pools frozen solid across, maybe an inch or more by now. Is my pool or surrounding coping/patio at risk of cracking as the surface expands?

ac
Can you break the ice? Seems like this could relieve pressure.

simek is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 12:33 PM   #111
SabineHunter
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adgerc15 View Post

ac
Yes. Break up the ice as much as you can. Tie a brick on a rope. After broke up, throw a log or two in.
Old 02-17-2021, 01:21 PM   #112
Adgerc15
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabineHunter View Post
Yes. Break up the ice as much as you can. Tie a brick on a rope. After broke up, throw a log or two in.
Thanks, I'll try brick on a rope. 3 large pieces of lumber frozen into the ice....

ac
Old 02-17-2021, 01:22 PM   #113
MikeyG
Ten Point

welp....looks like my auto-fill line (from the hose bib) is busted. I hope that's all that's wrong....
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 05:45 PM   #114
Adgerc15
Ten Point

Got to do some evaluating today. My waterfall pump housing is cracked, pool/spa auto valve busted, a few main line pipe busted above ground. My main pump housing doesn’t appear to be cracked but the lid popped off with ice pressing up so I hope I got lucky and it just popped up and didn’t crack. That is all I can see above ground and I am hopeful this is the extent of it.

Ac
Old 02-17-2021, 05:50 PM   #115
BigL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyG View Post
Power was off for 31 hours. I used blankets and created heat tents over equipment with space heaters connected to my generator and ran it almost the whole time. It got toasty under there! Nothing I can do about the pipes in the ground.
I shut off my breakers to not burn out the pump if the underground pipes were frozen.
Fingers crossed.
The only thing I should have done was drain my filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much what I did using my Mr buddy heater until I ran out of propane. I drained my filter and opened the tops of the pumps to let pressure escape. Now its just a wait and see.

I've been using the pole for my leaf net to bust up the ice on the pool.
BigL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 10:30 AM   #116
RJK70
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen County and Western States

My only casualty of the freeze. Auto fill valve for the pool and koi pond

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
RJK70 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 10:40 AM   #117
Tex_Cattleman
Ten Point

Hunt In: ... a Gametamer or Double Bull

Straight pool equipment made it through with no issues. Hit tub filter housing cracked top to bottom. Filter basket housing for hot tub is toast. One pipe for waterfall busted.

Hot tub over-all is an absolute money pit. I've spent well over $5,000 on the thing over the last few years. We might use it three times a year. I figure it costs us roughly $416.66 everytime I turn it on. That doesn't count what I'm about to spend to fix it.

Tex_Cattleman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 10:54 AM   #118
Tommyh
Pope & Young

Soooooo, howd the power hold up for you? Waiting until tomorrow to test on the ol plumbing and pump housing. Removed lids and opened what wasnt frozen, and tried to wrap what i could.

Our pool guy said parts were hard to com by with just covid, and now everyone will have to compete for plumbing and pool parts.
Tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 11:02 AM   #119
luv2hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County

You go out at 10pm and 7 am with an axe and break it up. At least that is what my neighbor does
luv2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 11:04 AM   #120
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hebbronville
Default Hard freeze and pools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
Straight pool equipment made it through with no issues. Hit tub filter housing cracked top to bottom. Filter basket housing for hot tub is toast. One pipe for waterfall busted.

Hot tub over-all is an absolute money pit. I've spent well over $5,000 on the thing over the last few years. We might use it three times a year. I figure it costs us roughly $416.66 everytime I turn it on. That doesn't count what I'm about to spend to fix it.

I hate my pool in general. Always something. Water chemistry, plugged up filters, etc.

Every time a friend says they’re thinking about building one, I tell them If I could dig mine up and pay them $5,000 to take it, I would.
kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 11:10 AM   #121
Tex_Cattleman
Ten Point

Hunt In: ... a Gametamer or Double Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1974 View Post
I hate my pool in general. Always something. Water chemistry, plugged up filters, etc.

Every time a friend says they’re thinking about building one, I tell them If I could dig mine up and pay them $5,000 to take it, I would.
I can understand, but we use our pool probably 150 days a year. We'll worth it for us.

Tex_Cattleman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 11:50 AM   #122
SabineHunter
Banned!!!

Just turned on the water to the filter and everything went like it was before the freezing, as I expected. No pressure in the lines, no frozen/broken pipes. Works like a charm. Forget the run 24/7 carp.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:53 AM   #123
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hebbronville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
I can understand, but we use our pool probably 150 days a year. We'll worth it for us.

We used to, then my kids started swimming in school and now a “pool party” is the last thing they want to do.

Maybe I’ll turn it into a koi pond. Lol
kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 02:57 PM   #124
dfkoon
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colemane, OK / Hagermann when lucky

Looks like my equipment and pool are damage free. Sorry for those who sustained damage. I was a bit worried when pool froze over (I'm one who drained my equipment prior to the cold). There doesn't appear to be any leaks or cracks including the skimmers.
dfkoon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 05:36 PM   #125
SabineHunter
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkoon View Post
Looks like my equipment and pool are damage free. Sorry for those who sustained damage. I was a bit worried when pool froze over (I'm one who drained my equipment prior to the cold). There doesn't appear to be any leaks or cracks including the skimmers.
You done good!
Old 02-20-2021, 05:54 PM   #126
lilavidhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Richland Springs

I drained my pumps and filter 5 hours after we lost power. Gonna mess with it tomorrow. Fingers Crossed.
lilavidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 06:12 PM   #127
LFD2037
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Over yonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilavidhunter View Post
I drained my pumps and filter 5 hours after we lost power. Gonna mess with it tomorrow. Fingers Crossed.
I did about 1.5 hours after losing power Monday morning. Didn't have power again until yesterday. Pool & strainers are still frozen so I'm going to wait another couple days.
LFD2037 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 06:34 PM   #128
BigL
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilavidhunter View Post
Same here. I covered the equipment with blankets and then a tarp, drained everything after 6 hours of no electricity and left the lids off the pumps to relieve any pressure in the system.

I put the drain plug for the filter back today but will mess with it tomorrow.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:42 PM   #129
mikeyb_23
Ten Point

Hunt In: Pleasanton, Public land

This is what happens when you can't have a real pool!!!

mikeyb_23 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 06:55 PM   #130
Jet Black
Ten Point

Hunt In: n/a

Our power went out way before I expected. Some time before 2am Sunday night. I attempted to drain in the dark by opening everything up but it didn’t seem to drain like it normally does when I did that. Later in the morning when it was light out I found the pump drain ports and the filter drain port. It took some heat from the torch but I got them clear and got a good drain on everything. Or so I thought.

When I went to put everything back together today I noticed there were drain port on both suction and discharge side of pumps. I had only opened suction side. But it didn’t seem to matter. Put it all back together and filled things up as good as I could with the water hose and let it rip. Main pump started right up. Waterfall pump seemed locked up so figured something was still frozen. Left it until the afternoon, and when I tried it again it fired up as well.

Draining the system is definitely the way to go when it’s going to freeze. It’s super simple and no reason to run the pump 24/7 if you don’t have to even if you have power. Plus you’re not putting unnecessary load on our fragile power grid either.
Jet Black is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 07:15 PM   #131
Landrover
Pope & Young

All good on ours as I had all the waterfall features going today. I had all the equipment triple wrapped with carpet remnants, cargo blankets and then a tarp to keep dry. This worked on the front yard fountain equipment also. This "round thingy" has a small leak but does not seem to be an issue. I will let my pool guy deal with it.. The pool is warm and the spa is hottt!! It was good to get everything, including plants 🪴uncovered today.

Old 02-20-2021, 08:41 PM   #132
Chad C
Pope & Young

Default Hard freeze and pools

Looks like ours will be ok, I haven’t fired it back up yet. I ran out as soon as we lost power and drained the two pumps and filter. Pool froze over solid on the surface and about 4-5” thick. No tile damage that we can see at this point.

Chad C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 08:55 PM   #133
rvd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

We made it unscathed in rockport, were without power for about 60 hours but my son was there and able to keep plumbing covered with cargo blankets and mr buddy heater.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 10:17 PM   #134
BigL
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad C View Post
Looks like ours will be ok, I haven’t fired it back up yet. I ran out as soon as we lost power and drained the two pumps and filter. Pool froze over solid on the surface and about 4-5” thick. No tile damage that we can see at this point.

I didnt drain the pumps but did pull plug on filter and opened the top of the pump. Most of the water drained out of the filter but they did have water in it but I kept breaking up any ice in it. Will see if they survived tomorrow.

As for the pool and ice, I wouldn't let the ice form. I was outside at least 4-5 times busting the ice with my brush pole trying to keep from having any tile damage.

My biggest concern right now is my cleaner pump. It kicked on after power came on and smelled pretty bad before I got it turned off. I will unhook the hose from the wall tomorrow and see if it can come on with no resistance.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:47 AM   #135
Bassdeer
Ten Point

Lost our booster pump, Brand new main pump ok thank god.
Bassdeer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 10:29 AM   #136
Humper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green Co.
Default My pool made it

I prepped my pool by adding a 30’ heat tape on my exposed pipes and then covered in foam insulation. I then covered everything in blankets and towels and a water proof tarp over that. Pool ran solid for a week. Got down to zero but never had an issue. Water temp hit 32degrees but stayed moving. We got lucky and have no issues to now that the equipment is back to normal ops.

Name:  AF75D615-418A-4937-B9F6-7EECBA76F9DE.jpeg
Views: 338
Size:  133.5 KB
Humper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 10:31 AM   #137
Devildogg
Nubbin' Buck

Keep the water moving
Devildogg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 11:32 AM   #138
SabineHunter
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildogg View Post
Keep the water moving
Hmmmm.....how would you do that with no electricity? Running 24/7 is good until the lights go out.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:41 AM   #139
BigL
Pope & Young

Quote:
Keep the water moving
Until you're without power for over 16 hours and temp is single digits.

Looks like all the equipment and pipes made it. So far only casualties are one tile fell off and a skimmer basket. Going to turn on the pool heater in a few min and see if it survived. We put a new one in when we bought the house 4 years ago so hopefully it survived.
Old 02-21-2021, 12:49 PM   #140
Casey
Administrator

Hunt In: Frio, Blanco Counties

We were 37 hours without power. We piled towels, blankets and tarp over all equipment. Yesterday i rinsed out all ice i could from pumps and filter housing with hose and buckets of warm water. Pump would do nothing but hum. Tried this morning and everything fired right up. No issues. I feel like i got away with something.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 02:49 PM   #141
JayB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cass County

I drained the filter and opened the pump to allow water back to pool when the electric first failed. Pool frozen about 2+ inches thick but all equipment hooked back up and worked great today.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 04:26 PM   #142
LFD2037
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Over yonder

Quote:
Keep the water moving
We went right at 100 hours without power. I tried.
LFD2037 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 05:06 PM   #143
RINCON
Ten Point

Pool pump made it..copper lines in heater did not - cracked.

Any experience with this issue? Copper lines able to be replaced?

Thanks
RINCON is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 05:08 PM   #144
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RINCON View Post

Thanks

Was your pump running?

If not I don’t know if any way just to replace the coils.

Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 05:12 PM   #145
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humper View Post
I prepped my pool by adding a 30’ heat tape on my exposed pipes and then covered in foam insulation. I then covered everything in blankets and towels and a water proof tarp over that. Pool ran solid for a week. Got down to zero but never had an issue. Water temp hit 32degrees but stayed moving. We got lucky and have no issues to now that the equipment is back to normal ops.

Attachment 1041250
Looks like my setup and exactly how I protected for 62 hours without power to the pool! Actually about to jump in my pool and enjoy this 72 degree weather in a 81 degree pool Daggum spa is 91!!!!

Last edited by Landrover; 02-21-2021 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:12 PM   #146
RINCON
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Was your pump running?

If not I don’t know if any way just to replace the coils.

Not running...we lost power.
RINCON is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 05:12 PM   #147
RatherBhuntin
Six Point

Hunt In: Sonora

Quote:
Originally Posted by RINCON View Post

Thanks
They can be replaced, but usually most people opt to replace the heater. Once you factor in labor to replace the heat exchanger it's better to just replace the heater. Of course factor in age of heater to make this decision
RatherBhuntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 05:13 PM   #148
dfkoon
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colemane, OK / Hagermann when lucky

Just curious, if the copper lines in the heater are cracked, what difference does it make if the pump was running or not?

I'm sure someone could fix it. But I'd bump repair costs against replacement costs.
dfkoon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 05:15 PM   #149
jmac24
Six Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

I drained everything except the pump that runs my vacuum. I did not see the valve to open on that one. Cracked housing on that one but that is all I have so far.
jmac24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 05:22 PM   #150
RatherBhuntin
Six Point

Hunt In: Sonora

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac24 View Post
I drained everything except the pump that runs my vacuum. I did not see the valve to open on that one. Cracked housing on that one but that is all I have so far.
We are seeing lots of booster pumps broken, especially the polaris PB4SQ pump. They are great pumps but obviously the housing is pretty thin and does not like the ice.
RatherBhuntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top