Transitioning Dog Food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transitioning Dog Food

My lab is a year old this month. I've had him on large breed puppy food from Diamond Naturals, but I'm looking at moving him to Muenster.

What ratio and how long should I make the transition so he loves over to the new food well?

Probably should keep your dog on puppy food till after the season. Then transition to adult. When your ready to change make it when you have 1/4 bag left of puppy food. Start mixing in the adult more each day until it’s gone, then do straight adult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Maybe I’m a bad dog owner but mine can go from one brand of food to a completely different one the next day and never skips a beat. Heck I got to the lease for opening weekend and realized I forgot her food so I ran to the grocery store and they didn’t have any of the IAMS I usually buy, so she got pedigree and ate it just fine.

Comment

Transitioning Dog Food

I do 75/25 old to new for a week, 50/50 for a week, 25/75 for a week then 100% of the new in a one month transition. Seems to work well and give the digestive system a chance to adjust if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
          I do 75/25 old to new for a week, 50/50 for a week, 25/75 for a week then 100% of the new in a one month transition. Seems to work well and give the digestive system a chance to adjust if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is always what we have done. Meunster is a good food. We have been feeding my St. Bernards Meunster for a couple years now. Cant beat local foods without Chinese vitamins

Comment

I would go the raw food route - my dog has loved it since he was about 6 mos. old. The difference was insane even at that age.

There is a company that has a delivery route, and it is not bad on price either. We get 40lbs. of beef/bone mix for $75. That amount lasts 3 weeks for 100lb dog.

And to your question - I would just ease into it. Start small as was stated and then work up to half. Once you get to half I believe I would just do the switch completely.

Comment

I kept my lab on puppy formula until 2 year old. Then when I switched, I went straight to the new food. She is a lab. She loves food. She will eat it.

Comment

I switch them over gradually myself. I had dogs with sensitive stomachs that would eat the new food then throw up a little later. Its best to slowly introduce it to them IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
                  Maybe I’m a bad dog owner but mine can go from one brand of food to a completely different one the next day and never skips a beat. Heck I got to the lease for opening weekend and realized I forgot her food so I ran to the grocery store and they didn’t have any of the IAMS I usually buy, so she got pedigree and ate it just fine.
                  Agreed, my dog is happy to eat whatever. Been a lot of dogs lived a long life on Ol' Roy. I've seen a dog eat poop before.

As for switching, I've never phased anything and my dog eats it all just fine and never gets the runs or anything.

Comment

I have always feed my dogs puppy food until they reach two years old.

Comment

Update: I went ahead and switched my dog over to large breed adult food, starting the transition about a week shy from his birthday.

I should've done it sooner...

I have seen an increase in energy level, muscle build, coat shine, etc. I moved him to Muenster's Large Breed, and I actually understand what each and every ingredient in it. There's more calories per cup than his Diamond Natural puppy large breed he had before, and more than the adult version of the same brand. He didn't have an issue with the transition, and he would actually wait till the new food was mixed in before he would start eating at all.

Long story short, I'm impressed. If anyone had any doubts or questions s about what food to get for their dog, I highly recommend Muenster.

Pictures are opening day vs. current day

Comment

Working...
                      X