Garage door fix it or call pro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Call a Pro.
    I had a cable break on mine last year. I replaced it myself.

I was as nervous as a veterinarian performing a vasectomy on an un-sedated pitbull with aids!

Comment

TBHer and hunting friend nearly lost his hand to garage door. Call an expert.

Comment

Didn't we just see a post on springs with tension and blood and broken fingers and missing fingernails? Not me

Comment

What everybody else said...call a pro.

I'm a DIY'er, but the risk of serious injury or death does not interest me.

Mine broke a few years ago one evening. A loud boom and I stormed out to the garage with my gun ready to neutralize the threat only to find a broken spring.

The guy I used replaced my spring, rollers, and a few broken brackets for less than $200.

Comment

Same thing happened to my door a year or so ago. Call a pro vote here. Messing with those springs can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

Comment

Call a pro, they have the tools to fix it EZ.

Comment

It is a simple job but needs to be done with care.
                If you end up hiring somebody, watch them do it and you'll face palm for dropping the $200... Then again $200 is different things to different people.

Comment

Fixed?

Comment

There are a lot of "old" garage door repairmen with missing or permanently damaged digits due to these broken garage door springs. Having the spring replaced by a repair company isn't going to break the bank and you might just save a finger or two.

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post
                      They can be done but I would highly recommend a pro
                      ^^^^^ this. As much as you are probably a do it yourself kind of person, this one does need to be done by a pro...IMO.

Comment

Garage door springs are like tables saws and radial arm saws—the accidents can be life-changing. Call a pro.

LWD

Comment

guess who's garage door spring broke tonight?

this guys

guess I'll be replacing a torsion spring or springs this weekend....may go to a dual spring setup

Comment

well, there's a great store in houston, www.parts4garagedoors.com, which sells parts for DIY garage repairs, they also have a service company side, spectrum overhead door that does garage door servicing. good guys, walked in, got the parts and they went over everything with me and i was on my way.

successfully got my torsion springs replaced and things are good.

Comment

Working...
                            X