Clear All

22-250 VMax vs Deer

Rifle: Remington ADL 22-250
    Bullet: 50 gr Hornady Superformance VMax
    Range: 345 yards
    Placement: Shoulder

Deer went 10 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22-250’s make a nasty wound. One of these days I’m gonna get me one.

Comment

I just bought my dad some v max for his .222 mag. I hope they work, its not his go to rifle it just has a lot of sentimental value and ammo is hard to find.

By the way 345 yards with a 50 gn bullet in the shoulder is a heck of a shot! good job

Comment

shot a doe with a Winchester white box 45 gr. hp @343 yards right behind the shoulder she made it about 15 yards. 22-250 is under rated.

Comment

Gf shot her first deer (mature doe) a week ago with a 22-250 slinging some 55 vmax. Doe ran but fell within site. Vitals were absolutely smashed.

Comment

Just stay off the shoulder on shorter shots with it, by the time it gets 300+ yards it has slowed down enough to do ok on deer especially out hill country deer. Try a shoulder shot with same bullet at 50 yards and it might do as well. Years ago tried 60gr Hornady SP loads in a Sako Forester handy hunter carbine with a 20 inch barrel. Buck at 280 yards through the ribs dead within 30 yards, didn't exit the field. Doe at 30 yards looking straight at me centered the white throat patch, trailed her over 1/4 mile and she was still alive an hour later when found. That after noon a 4 year old buck shot in shoulder then back of head as he was running off put him down, first shot on him did not penetrate the shoulder blade at 100 yards, head shot also did not exit but got into the brain.
            Last edited by kmon; 11-27-2017, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Killed a lot of deer with a rem model 788. Great caliber

Comment

Love mine I don't hesitate shooting behind shoulder it's a nasty round

Comment

I've killed more deer with my 22-250 than all my other rifles combined and that's no small feat. My syory is a doe at 330 yards with a 55 grain Sierra BTHP. Shoulder shot and she went 20 feet and front flipped. Blew a softball-sized hole on its way out. It's a vicious little S.O.B.

Comment

Shot a doe a couple years back with a 22-250. She ran 10 yards as well. Opened her up and the bullet bounced around inside of her destroying everything. Talk about a nasty gut process.

Comment

Wow, I thought I stretched mine out a few weeks back by taking a cull buck at 215. I'm running a 22-250AI with an 80 grain ELD-M at 3100.

It actually hit the opposite side shoulder blade and splintered it into three sections with the remaining bullet just under the skin. DRT.

Comment

I used the Remington 55 gr. but Have the same results. Dad shot a big bodied buck 2 weeks ago at 250 yards behind the shoulder and the bullet blew through him, buck went 40 yards. I prefer hunting with mine over any of my other guns.

Well done!

Comment

Nice job OP. To each his own, but the "V" tells me that I will not use this round for deer sized game. I think there is a reason that Hornady puts "the ultimate SMALL game bullet" on the boxes of these bullets.

I try to use the appropriate bullet for the game that I am hunting and in my opinion, a varmint bullet used for deer is not what it is intended for, as evidenced by the manufacturer recommendation. Kind of like using a ratchet as a hammer. Will it get the job done, sure, but there are more efficient and correct tools to use for the job.

Go ahead and flame me and tell me how I am wrong and all that. I know it is coming.

Comment

love the 22-250

Comment

my daughter shot a doe Thanksgiving day with hers. 55gr fusion, right behind shoulder, exit was about quarter size, shot was 65-75yds, she went maybe 10yds.

Comment

Working...
                              X