build or buy 6.5. creedmoor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

build or buy 6.5. creedmoor?

This gun will end up as a long range competition gun mostly might take it hunting but very rarely as I have several good hunting rifles.

So my question is this:

Should I buy a remington 700 in 308 $380 and convert it to 6.5 creedmoor

all my other rifles are remington 700s just the LA version.

Or should I get one of these

Savage model 10 FCP-SR $653

OR

Savage 10BA Stealth which is already blueprinted from the factory $935

I like how easy Savages are to read barrel and work on in general compared to remington 700s but I know and trust the remington action. My buddy has a savage 300 win mag and it shoots great just never owned one my self.

Really the only 3 options I'm considering full custom is to expensive and in not a ruger fan for the most part.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TxKronik; 04-24-2017, 06:51 AM.

This one seems pretty nice.

The 6.5 Creedmore was certainly the big news from this year's SHOT Show and likely to be future of long-range shooting. If you are serious about going long, Savage's new Model 10 GRS will be a must have regardless of whether you go with the newer, sexy 6.5 Creedmoor or the venerable .308 Winchester. Here is the full release from Savage Arms.

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
      You get a lot for your money with that one haven't seen that one before.

Comment

Tikka T3X TAC A1 6.5

Comment

I don't have any first hand experience, but from what little I have read it seems that Savage in competition don't hold up to long due to I think extractor issues. I'm not sure how many rounds they usually last but it seems as those parts will need to be replaced at the worst possible time.

For an off the shelf rifle it seems like Tikka is a little more reliable than either Savage or Rem for a little more $.

Comment

I just bought the 10 BA Stealth Friday. I have put 18 rounds down it doing my normal break in process 1 round clean brush clean brush oil 1 round for the 1st 10 rounds and then repeat every 3 rounds 10 more times. I can say this is the most accurate gun I have ever owned. I have only shot it out to 100 but using Hornady 129 grain SST. I have made 2 3 shot groups where all 3 holes were touching. The biggest group would have been just over an inch but I guarantee you that is the shooter. I am going to try and hit the range again tomorrow. I will set it up on the lead sled and see what it is really capable of.

Comment

The Tikka CTR comes in Creedmoor.. It's pretty slick..

Comment

Competition? Do you trust your own gunsmith ability? I'd never leave it to manufacurer for competition level.

Comment

For competition build one exactly the way you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Archery View Post
                    Competition? Do you trust your own gunsmith ability? I'd never leave it to manufacurer for competition level.
                    I'm just asking which base to start with there will be modifications done.

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter74 View Post
                      I just bought the 10 BA Stealth Friday. I have put 18 rounds down it doing my normal break in process 1 round clean brush clean brush oil 1 round for the 1st 10 rounds and then repeat every 3 rounds 10 more times. I can say this is the most accurate gun I have ever owned. I have only shot it out to 100 but using Hornady 129 grain SST. I have made 2 3 shot groups where all 3 holes were touching. The biggest group would have been just over an inch but I guarantee you that is the shooter. I am going to try and hit the range again tomorrow. I will set it up on the lead sled and see what it is really capable of.
                      I read they are awesome off the shelf since they are blueprinted from the factory.

Would love to see photos of its abilities from a sled.

If I spend a little more up front and have to do less on the back end that's worth it to me.

I am just curious which action to choose remington 700 in 308 and ready barrel or a savage action off a gun already in 6.5.

Comment

This is my Savage 10t with 5R rifling. That's a 200 yard group with a hand load I worked up. I like the savage platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice I also like that savage is easier to rebarrel then remington if I want to change calibers or just upgrade barrels

Comment

Originally posted by TxKronik View Post
                            Nice I also like that savage is easier to rebarrel then remington if I want to change calibers or just upgrade barrels

Exactly... $60-70 in tools and I had everything I needed to pull the barrel and have it shortened/threaded. It's a shooter for sure. GrabAGun had some some really good deals the other day on some savages. I think savage is running a rebate right now. Have fun with your build.

Comment

I would look at the Bergara HRM as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X