Let the air outa a good one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let the air outa a good one!

Sitting in the blind on a cold, beautiful evening I decided to hit my axis call. I needed an axis for some jerky and roasts and had walked up on a few when I got to the stand. Didn’t seem to get the response I hoped for as the big buck I saw never came back out. Instead, a small, one horned axis buck suddenly appeared under the feeder. I waited for a broadside shot and took it. He made it about 30 feet and piled up. Feeling accomplished and thanking the lord for the harvest I decided to hang tight since it was so early. I had one buck tag left and needed to fill it but as I’ve stated before, I wanted to fill it with a mature buck.

I opted to hit the rattling bag I had and out popped two small 8 points. They came right in, milled around, two doe eventually came out to join them. Then a small 6 point. The feeder went off and they all scattered as deer do. I waited, they all came back with a few more they’d picked up along the way. I sat, occasionally glancing out the left window where the axis had dropped and at one point noticed a whitetail on the far ridge to the left. I glassed, it was a big doe. Then another. Then another. I decided to lightly rattle again and as I did I noticed the doe look behind them. I opened the left window a little more and saw a buck about 300-400 yards off. I picked up the binos and immediately knew this wasn’t a young buck. This guy was at a good pace coming right to me. I rattled a little more and he picked up speed then stopped. He looked around and I saw the younger bucks under the feeder decide to leave. The larger buck began walking in again and I watched as he crossed into the view of the front window and stood at 107 yards. He looked like the buck I had posted on here except he was clearly a ten point with a broken tine. I decided he was mature enough, a little shorter than I had thought but truly mature. Put the crosshairs on him and squeezed. He ran about 40 yards and piled up. I felt exhilarated and accomplished! Now it’s time to decide which form he will be mounted on and where to put him! Thank god for hunting!!

ill try and repost pictures as they aren't coming out like they should lol
    Last edited by mmlreiner; 12-20-2019, 02:46 AM. Reason: pic size

Alright:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Congrats. Wow very nice

Comment

awesome!! beautiful buck! congrats

Comment

Free range Kerr county? If so that’s a monster. Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
            Free range Kerr county? If so that’s a monster. Congrats!

Hah yes. Low fence, no protein, free range in Kerr county. I’ve managed this particular ranch for 5 years. He is the product of simply letting them walk. I sling a little corn and sometimes bring some alfalfa. Other than that, I shoot inferior bucks to fill tags and let the rest grow. That’s it.

Comment

Originally posted by mmlreiner View Post
              Hah yes. Low fence, no protein, free range in Kerr county. I’ve managed this particular ranch for 5 years. He is the product of simply letting them walk. I sling a little corn and sometimes bring some alfalfa. Other than that, I shoot inferior bucks to fill tags and let the rest grow. That’s it.

That’s a heck of a buck for that area for sure. I need to hunt axis with you! Put a tape to that buck and let us know. I’m guessing 153”

Comment

Lol no he isn’t that big. Score sheet for you. He’s missing some length on his brows, I can only guess what his broken tine was and to be fair, I only have it at 1” since that’s all I can measure currently. He’s also missing a little more mass.

Comment

I don’t think that can be read huh? His score is 142 6/8

Good spread at 21” and good mainbeam length at 23”. Just missing a few things that would have put him closer to the 150” mark. Still a fantastic hunt and a wonderful deer.

Comment

Good story and Congrats!

Comment

Congrats. Really nice buck. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow. That’s awesome
                        Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes you did, congrats.

Comment

Yep

Comment

score

can’t read it but guessing around 160