Camera Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camera Help?

Ok here's the deal, I have never owned anything more than a little digital camera. But after looking at some off youll's work I would really like to get into photography as a hobby. My problem is I don't have any idea of what kind of camera to buy, or lenses. I would really like to be able to take pics of deer from a pretty far distance. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You have to look at buying a camera like buying a bow. You really need to get a feel for it and make sure that you like the way it handles becuase it is an investment. There are pro-camera stores around where you can look at cameras.

And you have to figure out the campfire you are at, Canon or Nikon. Both of which are great.

Poke around on B&H to get a feel for the amount of money that you will be investing (expensive hobby)

As for lenses. I am a firm believer in invest in a body and 1 great lens and that will last you a lot longer than the kit lenses. A 70-200mm (sorry my link is a Nikon lens, but that is what I shoot) with a smaller f/ would not only be a good choice for taking wildlife pictures, but would be a good lens to have all around. Investing in good glass will always be a good way to go.

And my 1 true piece of advice, if you are new to photography, but the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. That book helped me out with so much, and still helps me with a lot of questions that I have.

Comment

Solid advice above. I would add that you should look at going with a bit older camera body and a better quality lens. You can get a Nikon D70 for a reasonable price right now on Ebay, also check out Craigslist.com. Hillybgigem is also right regarding the lens length of 70-200mm. This will give you good coverage across a wide range of shots.

It's a great hobby and something that can blend into other areas/interests in your life. Good luck in your search!

Comment

Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Working...
        X