Stock Bedding Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock Bedding Question

Is bedding a gun stock really necessary in y'all's opinion? I have a remington 700 308 stainless fluted, larue base, Zeiss rings and scope, just recently put on a HS precision stock and a Timney trigger. I was getting good groups out of this gun before the upgrades I made but haven't got a chance to shoot it since. Anyways I'm heading to the gunsmith Friday to drop off my AR for some work and was wondering whether y'all think getting a stock bedded is really necessary or not. I think he charges about $80 to bed them.
    Thanks

You shouldn't need to with the HS precision stock. Just make sure the screws are torqued correctly (65 in/lbs IIRC).
    Wood or the cheap composites factory stocks... Definitely would

Comment

I would have the barreled action skim bedded into the stock.... simple job for any competent GS

recoil lug area should definitely be bedded

HSP makes a great stock but there is not 100% contact between bedding block and action

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
        I would have the barreled action skim bedded into the stock.... simple job for any competent GS

HSP makes a great stock but there is not 100% contact between bedding block and action

I would listen to this 100%

Comment

Bed it. Most definitely. If you're inclined you can DIY.

Comment

Ok guys thanks for the advice

Comment

Absolutely, 100%. I just got done putting a Remington into one of the HS Pro Series stocks. While the fit was was pretty good, a skim bed job made a lot of difference in the way it fit. Like Blake said, nothing made with any kind of mfg tolerances is perfect. Skim bed job is simple and easy (and cheap) compared to the money you have already spent on that rifle. Let it work to it's full potential.

Comment

^^^^This^^^^

Comment

Looks like the smith is going to charge $90 to glass bed

Comment

That's why I do it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                      That's why I do it myself.
                      I'm not that smart. Lol

Comment

$90 to bed it isn't bad at all.

Comment

It's really not that hard, just makes you a little nervous the first few times until you are pretty sure you aren't going to end up with a glue-in job, lol. But like Trophy8 said, $90 isn't bad either. Whichever way, I just think you will be better off with it done.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                            $90 to bed it isn't bad at all.

That seems to be the avg. price

My smith charges $200 to pillar and glass bed; $85 to skim bed an HSP stock

Comment

That seems to be the avg. price

My smith charges $200 to pillar and glass bed; $85 to skim bed an HSP stock
                              I forget what mine charges. Normally there is so much other crap im paying him for that I say just do it and forget about it hahahahaha. If I think about it too much my cheap *** may change my mind

Comment

Working...
                              X