A bad Leupold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bad Leupold?

Anyone hear of Leupold ever producing a lemon? My buddy just bought a Leupold VX-II 4-12x50 from a friend. And his new Nikon 3-9x40 scope with a BDC reticle is MUCH clearer. More light getting through the Nikon.

This scope is about 3 years old, and the previous owner sent it into Leupold. They checked it out and sent it back saying it is fine. But clearly you can see when the Leupold is held next to the Nikon.

Anyone else have issues with Leupold?

Nope never. But that is just me.

Comment

No, but there are knock offs that can be crappy.

My 2x7 rifleman is MUCH clearer than my 3x9 P223

Comment

Originally posted by super_dave View Post
        No, but there are knock offs that can be crappy.

My 2x7 rifleman is MUCH clearer than my 3x9 P223

yep, be aware of the Chinese clones

optical clarity is all about the lens coatings and how applied

Comment

Actually in the recent past leupold has been known to poor reticles in cockeyed and have scopes that don't track true, but any mass production can have that problem. The ones that I saw were mk.4 scopes

Comment

I have always had good success with their service department, I would try to send it back in. It might get traded out this time.

Comment

Yes this is why I only have 1 Leupold left. No more.

Everyone seems to be impressed with Leupolds' customer service. I would rather use scopes from companies that you never get to find out rather their customer service even exists.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudshack View Post
                Anyone hear of Leupold ever producing a lemon? My buddy just bought a Leupold VX-II 4-12x50 from a friend. And his new Nikon 3-9x40 scope with a BDC reticle is MUCH clearer. More light getting through the Nikon.

This scope is about 3 years old, and the previous owner sent it into Leupold. They checked it out and sent it back saying it is fine. But clearly you can see when the Leupold is held next to the Nikon.

Anyone else have issues with Leupold?
                I had a 3-9x40 that I had to send back to luepold. They replaced it, but never told me why. That was several years ago, and the replacement they sent me is still driving tacks.

Comment

They don't warranty for misuse which includes scratching off the lens coating with poor cleaning. That can leave any scope with less clarity. If bubba cleaned his scope with his shirt tail, you could have a scope that is basically ruined.

Comment

Years ago (probably 15 or so) I had a Vari XII and after owning about three years it lost noticeable clarity and would kind of fog up. After hunting season I sent it back to them and within a couple weeks had a brand new Leupold arrive at the door. Have your buddy send it back to them.

Comment

Never heard of a bad one. I have had nothing but success with their products and customer service

Comment

Dad had one he had to send back in, that was about 10-12 years ago. I can't remember exactly what the problem was, and I can't ask him now. Pretty sure it was a 4x12 Vari-X-II and had some kind of focus/clarity issue. At any rate, it clearly was not up to the same quality as the rest of the Leupolds we had at the time. Even after they "fixed" it, it was never quite right.

Comment

I have NEVER seen a Nikon that was clearer or brighter than a Leupold.

Nikon can suck it as far as I'm concerned their CS is horrible.

And yes beware of Chinese clones of Leupold scopes. They are out there.

Comment

Ill take the hunk of crap off your hands.

Comment

Years ago I did have to return one because it would not hold zero. They made it right though and I've used it ever since.
                              As far as clarity is concerned... I'm really thinking that it would not have made it past their quality control. Sounds like a knock off to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X