Millennials...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
    Technically I am a millennial by definition. I was kicked out of my parents house at 17 when I graduated hs. It ****** me off more than anything to see people associated with my generation as one of he biggest hand out generations around. I was raised with the idea that if you want something, work for it.

Too many silver spoon, everyone gets a trophy kids these days
    X2 I grew up in a split home and chose to live with my dad for this exact reason. I have a younger brother that is exact opposite of me in everyway but was raised by my mom and is a true definition of millennial.

Comment

I don't think it matters what generation you are of, Reagan had it right even back in 1969.
      https://youtu.be/ggUeDa48V4g

Comment

I am a millennial but I don't really associate myself with what many people think of millenials to be. To me, there are two distinct kinds of people in this group: those who work for what they have and are proud to do so, and those who are constantly looking for the easy way IE believing that a college degree is all the experience you need to get a high paying job, a promotion should be guaranteed, and generally taking a more progressive/entitled stance on things.

Entitled attitudes get you no where, and this isn't news to anybody. Nearly all of the older people I've worked with in my 6 years in the workforce can see it from a mile away, and consequently, the entitled folks typically get no where. I've seen hardworkers bust arse and be awarded accordingly with the others left scratching their heads.

It's really simple, you either bust your can and watch the good things roll in, or you loaf and pout and get nowhere.

Comment

I'm a millennial.

Graduated high school, went to college, learned from liberal professors, acquired a bachelors degree, I've worked 40 hrs a week since I was 19, went to the police adademy, became a cop and voted for McCain/Palin, Romney/Ryan, and voted Trump/Pence.

There's a few of us out here that were raised right.

Comment

It's group think and exacerbated by sites like Twitter. Anyone that disagrees with the group is promptly shouted down and marginalized. Group think is pervasive in this country. Thinking for ones self is not as wide spread as could be hoped.

Comment

Wait, if millennials are so bad why are we blaming their generation for the current state of our countries popular culture if they just arrived at adult age. Pretty sure the generation that raised them and created them are the ones to blame.

Comment

Uncle Bubba---whether or not your age definition of millennial is correct is immaterial. Your behavioral description is spot-on. And, thanks to my dad for guidance and steerage, and his work ethic. He was a Pontiac master craftsman and the best mechanic in our small town. I often came home to find a Jaguar, Mercedes, BMW, MG, etc parked at the house--as he was the go-to guy for all foreign cars--this was back in the '60s. He never fired me, but fired me up.

Comment

Originally posted by bk913 View Post
                  Pretty broad generalization you're making there, not accurate of all of us.
                  x2

Comment

I guess i did paint a broad brush of Millennials. I like texan4ut's description "Lazy Millenials." I'm glad I was raised in a hard working, faithful, and strong family that shaped who I am today. I never finished college as I couldn't stand it and quit frankly didn't want to go. My brother and sister both have degrees and are successful teachers/coaches. I'm successful in running our 30+ year family business and doing so through hard work. I do wish I had more of an education, business wise, and may pursue that in the future. Sorry for the broad brush description...

Comment

My parents didn't teach me about crap about the value a dollar, work ethic, etc etc etc. If it would have not been for my grandparents indirectly teaching me the benefits of working hard and self sustainability after high school (with farming and cattle raising).....I would be a flaming libtard right now. Thank you grandparents.

Comment

Almost 25 years old, graduated from an incredibly liberal college (UT), and have held a 'real' job since I was 16. Oh and I voted for Trump. It's not all 'millennials' that have the 'me-me-me' problem. And I was thinking about this yesterday regarding the 'lazy millennials'- Granted they make their own ****-poor decisions using their own brain, is it their fault or their parents fault for being raised like a brat? If it's the parent's fault, was it their parents (the grandparents) fault for raising them wrong also? It's a trickle down effect IMO and the 'lazy millennials' are a result of more than just their own generation. Too many millennial parents were/are in favor of participation trophies/everybody wins/etc. Regardless of the cause- it make me sick seeing/hearing some of the crap people may age come up with and believe. Put me in the crowd of 'don't lump me with those millennials'- they are a disgrace.

Comment

My sons are 27 and 23, both went to work right out of college, are completely off the parental teet and are busting their humps to develop careers. I would like to think my wife and I had something to do with helping them form a work ethic but some part of it is probably just luck. (we are very blessed in that regard) Among their friends/peer group there are those who fall across the entire spectrum from hard-working and responsible to whiny entitled lay-abouts. I'm not sure this generation is any better or worse than mine (tail end of the baby boomers) but I think the difference is, now there are more parents willing to enable lazy behavior in their unmotivated offspring. I had a few friends that were unmotivated lazy bums, but once they were of age they had to sink or swim on their own.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                            My parents didn't teach me about crap about the value a dollar, work ethic, etc etc etc. If it would have not been for my grandparents indirectly teaching me the benefits of working hard and self sustainability after high school (with farming and cattle raising).....I would be a flaming libtard right now. Thank you grandparents.
                            ^^^^^Ding Ding Ding for the Win Win Win!!!^^^^^

There are lazy arse bastages from all generations. including from the greatest generation of all, yes I said it flame away if you must. What are parents teach us along with we learn in our school s day care) is what we basically turn into.

No need to paint all of a certain group off peeps wuth the same brush!!

Comment

Believe it or not, I think cell phones deserve a big part of the blame. Think about it; 30 years ago if you're faced with a very tough decision you had to look at the consequences of your decisions, and choose what you thought was best. Nowadays, what do kids do when presented with a huge decision? Call Mommy or Daddy to ask, "what should I do"? Making your own decisions and learning from your mistakes and bad decisions create character and self-reliance. That does not exist in many younger people today.

Our entitlement government and colleges aren't helping the situation either.

Just my opinion.

Comment

I was born in 89 and graduated in 08, so I guess I'm one. I don't think I complain about things very often. I wake up five days a week and go to work, get off work and go work on my house or cars and odd jobs for extra money, then go home to be the dad my son needs me to be and the husband my wife needs me to be. Then I spend the weekends working on the house, I will be doing this until the renovations are to be done and I can move in then I'll get to hunt.. I don't ask for anybody to come help me, if someone comes to help me that's their choice.

My parents taught me from an early age, if I want something I have to work for it and when you need it from time to time you can ask for help but don't expect it. last weekend my father in law forced me to take a break from working on the house and my dad "forced" me to go hunting with him (opening of general season). That weekend while I was explaining my daily goals for how much work I wanted to get done for the next week my dad told me "When I was your age I never was working as hard as you are, you need to just calm down a little bit. Heck I don't think I was ever working as hard as you are."

A lot of my friends my age don't get that. They get on to me for not being able to come hang out or go get a drink or why I wouldn't by the newest greatest thing. They don't understand why I don't have a Facebook or twitter or whatever the newest mode of social media is. They don't understand why I like to be 30 minutes early to work and I am almost always the last one to leave. They get mad when they tell me something stupid that upsets them and I tell them oh well life goes on or suck it up or something a along those lines. I just don't get it, my guess would be that every generation had folks like that. Ours might just be a little worse because of the technology that we were raised with, gave them a crutch that they can and are still leaning on. I believe we will grow up eventually, just as every generation before has.

Comment

Working...
                                X