Sun Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sun Question

This isn’t necessarily outdoor related, more so family. When taking photos of people, is the sun supposed to be behind or in front of the subjects? We took family photos and the photographer put the sun at our backs. Our pics look washed out by the sun. To me the photos don’t look good.

Sun at the back or to the side, Side is best, but landscape doesn't move for you... and use a bright flash. If you put the sun in front everyone will be squinting and skin will get blown out, especially if you are white. Not good.

The best option is to wait until the sun is almost down at that "golden hour" where it is making the sky gorgeous but just behind or right on the horizon. This will minimize the contrast between the light and dark in the image, and make it easier. A little flash never hurt, especially if you can use a warm color gel over it; or if you are DIY like me, put a Chinese soup takeout container with thin layer of orange paint on it over the flash. Lol

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

Comment

So in these two random examples from Google, both were shot at the golden hour...

The one with just the girl is without flash...
      The one with the couple is with flash.

Big difference, both decent photos (technically with different objectives)

Comment

This happens too:

Issue is that the sky is blown out white because the time of day. If that's all you have you gotta work with it, but in this example at the back is still better.

Sorry for the huge dump of info here. But yes it's a balance between flash and sunlight!

Comment

Thanks for the information

Comment

Originally posted by brysdad View Post
            This isn’t necessarily outdoor related, more so family. When taking photos of people, is the sun supposed to be behind or in front of the subjects? We took family photos and the photographer put the sun at our backs. Our pics look washed out by the sun. To me the photos don’t look good.
            I've seen a fad recently among photographers who like the blown out sun look, or bright rays of sun coming through the trees, etc. Some people love it, some hate it. It can work, if done properly.

Comment

Depends on what look you are going for... a family portrait with the sun at your backs and no fill flash kinda tells me the photographer didnt really know what he/she was doing

Comment

Originally posted by FriscoAg View Post
                I've seen a fad recently among photographers who like the blown out sun look, or bright rays of sun coming through the trees, etc. Some people love it, some hate it. It can work, if done properly.

This.

But, that’s harsh light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Sun Question

I like shadows and will even put the sun directly in their face as it sets. There are gambles and settings, but I’m still learning.

Looking directly into a setting sun.

Like this shot, my gripe is her feet behind her and I took the pic.

Sun off to the right.

The golden hour is best...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                  Last edited by Chad C; 12-05-2019, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Following

Comment

Working...
                    X