No announcement yet.

Growing Oaks from Acorns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Tx.....can you help me with Bur Oaks? I'm hoping to get a bunch started this next fall when they are about to drop.

Comment

My question is: Seeing that a burr oak acrons are so large with a hard outer shell, will deer still consume them?

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch914 View Post
        East Tx.....can you help me with Bur Oaks? I'm hoping to get a bunch started this next fall when they are about to drop.
        It is a White Oak so it can be fall planted. This is my first year to try any Bur Oak acorns.

Comment

I'm guessing a bur acorn in comparison to a much smaller acorn is like choosing between a little tiny piece of pizza or a much bigger piece of pizza lol
          I'll go for the big piece any day and twice on Sunday. I have an endless supply of bur acorns I can gather....and I have a decent idea on how to get them to grow....I think. haha
          How long do you leave them in moist peat moss in the fridge? Throughout winter?

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
            I have a three shelf grow light. I grew a ton of trees from seeds. I had two major problems. First, I did it in one of our unused bedrooms and the room had a swarm of fruit flies. Second, when put them in natural light, they all lost all of their leaves. I think they needed to slowly be put into natural light.

Good Luck.
            How did you solve the fruit fly problem? I am beginning to see some.

Comment

Really good thread, the info is great, gonna take a stab at it....

Comment

Does anyone know where to get the heavy mil bags to cold statifi?

Comment

I leave my acorns in the fridge until the root starts to come out of the shell.

Comment

Here are some pics of the tree, bark and a leaf to go with the acorns I posted earlier. Does this help identify?
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421867066.270249.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	24359416Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421867107.389827.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	24359417Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421867121.113724.jpg
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	24359418Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421867143.024332.jpg
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	24359420Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421867168.538264.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	24359421

Comment

Red oak. Also have heard them called chamorro read oak

Comment

Originally posted by Corn Sack View Post
                        Here are some pics of the tree, bark and a leaf to go with the acorns I posted earlier. Does this help identify?
                        [ATTACH]688039[/ATTACH][ATTACH]688040[/ATTACH][ATTACH]688041[/ATTACH][ATTACH]688043[/ATTACH][ATTACH]688044[/ATTACH]
                        Looks like a Nuttall Oak.

Comment

https://<br /> http://bowsite.com/b...ns/acorns.html
                          Good pictures.

Comment

I planted one tray of Chinese Chestnuts and Wildlife Hybrid Chestnuts today. My Chinquapin Oaks are not doing very well but my White Oaks and Allegheny Chickapins are really growing.

White Oak

Allegheny Chickapin

Chinquapin Oak and Hybrid White Oak

Comment

You pull off the Chestnuts, you are the man!
                              From what I have seen, they are hard to get going.

Comment

I have a few Swamp White Oaks beginning to sprout.

I have one more light to set up and I will be done with the closet.

Comment

Working...
                                X