Frustrated with my Kimber 84m Hunter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frustrated with my Kimber 84m Hunter

Yesterday I was in Able Ammo looking for a light weight / handy carrying around gun. I picked up a Kimber in 6.5cm and really liked it. My wife loved the way it felt and looked so she pressured me into buying it! I also bought a Leupold vx3i 4x14.5 to mount on it.

So far I've tried the following Ammo (Hornady eld-x 143gr, hornady sst 129gr, horndady gmx 120gr and Federal fushion 140gr) and the best 3 shot group I've had was around 4". This is shooting off a bench with a lead sled.

I bought the spur of the moment (very very unlike me) and have since done some research and it appears these guns either really shoot or are not consistent at all. Needless to say I'm pretty frustrated that I have about $1500 bucks tied up in a package that my cheap tc compass / vortex crossfire will out shoot.

Anyone dealt with Kimbers customer service or found a load these guns like ?
    Last edited by kkp005; 11-07-2017, 01:23 PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If it will not shoot those Fusions I would be surprised if there is a factory load it likes.
      I have had very good grouping with those in three different calibers out to 200 yds.
      Never tried and farther.

Comment

I have only shot 4 Kimbers but all were wood stocked and easily shot sub MOA. I have read about a few that would not do so and Kimber made them right for those people.

I would also make sure the rings and bases were right and if another scope is available try that, would not be the first Leupold to come out of the box with issues.

Comment

Originally posted by kmon View Post
          I have only shot 4 Kimbers but all were wood stocked and easily shot sub MOA. I have read about a few that would not do so and Kimber made them right for those people.

I would also make sure the rings and bases were right and if another scope is available try that, would not be the first Leupold to come out of the box with issues.
          This too^^^^

Comment

I love the look, fit and finish of Kimbers but have heard too many horror stories like this.

I don't know what their policy is but they need to fix or replace it for you.

Comment

Just looked at the ammo and the Superformance is always suspect I have wasted money on a few boxes in 243 and 7mm-08 that the guns just hated to the neighborhood of 3 to 5 inch groups from sub MOA shooters, go back to their favorite rounds and shoot their normal good groups.

never know what a rifle likes, Tikka T3 Hunter in 338 Federal 1.5 to 2 inch with Fusion factory and all touching with Barnes TSX factory loads.

Also the Kimbers doheat up pretty quickly so if not letting it cool groups can open up. 3 shot groups usually good then might start opening up until the barrel cools Nature of some light weight barrel.

Comment

Very thin barrel. Wait a good while in between shots. Kimber has always been hit or miss on accuracy

Comment

How long did it take you to test the ammo? Those small barrels heat up fast and affect accuracy.

Did you clean the barrel prior to shooting? I always clean and properly break in a rifle barrel prior to testing any ammo

A lot of folks like lead sleds but I hate them. From your pic the front rest is too far forward on the fore end for me. I like the front rest to be right below the recoil lug of the rifle so I know I’m not putting any pressure on the fore end that could cause it to flex and contact the rifle barrel. Also, there’s some thoughts that since the lead sled doesn’t allow the rifle to recoil naturally it affects the harmonics of the barrel. My suggestion would be shoot it off sandbags and make sure you don’t have any forward pressure on the stock.

That’s all I can think of, but I have heard some issues with the new Kimbers.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                    Very thin barrel. Wait a good while in between shots. Kimber has always been hit or miss on accuracy
                    the few I have read about though that were sent back to Kimber, the accuracy issues were fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by kmon View Post
                      the few I have read about though that were sent back to Kimber, the accuracy issues were fixed.
                      A $1000+ rifle shouldn't have to be sent back to begin with. I've had a few that were hammers. A couple that were not very impressive to say the least.

Comment

^ What Trophy8 said. At 1,000.00 a gun, I would not want to have to send it back to get fixed. Their customer service would not want me to have to either.

Comment

Can't add much to what's already been said except to say I feel for ya. Always sux to get a dud. I'd be on the phone with Kimber in the morning. Some good factory ammo is Prime and Copper Creek.

Comment

I had a Kimber that I had some issues with, as well. I think the pencil thin barrels do heat up fast and cause issues. Also, because they are light they really jump around and can have issues with whip if you do not hold the front end.

Here is a website with some recommendations for how best to shoot a light rifle.

I think I gave up on my Kimber too quick, as I sold it as soon as I determined it did not shoot the 3 different kinds of ammo I fed it very well. I wish I had tried a few different types, or some handholds.

I presently have a 6.5 Creedmoor that can shoot 1/2" groups but shot poorly with all hornady factory ammo, but shot bug holes with American eagle match ammo and with my handloads.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I've got a lot of money tied up in this thing which makes fighting the accuracy issues frustrating.

I took it home today to clean and did come across something. When setting the end of the gun barrel down against my carpet to drop in a bore snake I noticed a lot of play / wobble between the stock and barrel/receiver. Upon further inspection
                              I discovered the hex head screw on the rear (torques up the stock to the action) was very loose. Once I tightened it up there wasn't any play. We will see what she does tomorrow if the weather cooperates and I can get some more Ammo.

Comment

Working...
                              X