Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 04-18-2014, 09:37 AM   #6001
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Hunt In: granger, victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_hunter86 View Post
Hear is an easy solution, if your out hunting just put on a vest and if you do hunt with a vest more power to you. It would really suck if we couldn't hunt at granger anymore. Hell i cant afford a lease so this is the only hunting i get to do. New rule for grxh should be if you hunt without your orange you have to do a bunch of waterfalls than jump in the river.
Did you see anyone hunting GRXH hunting with out their orange on?

Waterfalls and jumping in the river sounds like my kinda party.
Dirtymike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2014, 10:25 AM   #6002
bho0351
Ten Point

Hunt In: Blanco County, Granger, and wherever invited

Quote:
Hear is an easy solution, if your out hunting just put on a vest and if you do hunt with a vest more power to you. It would really suck if we couldn't hunt at granger anymore. Hell i cant afford a lease so this is the only hunting i get to do. New rule for grxh should be if you hunt without your orange you have to do a bunch of waterfalls than jump in the river.
Waterfalls and jumping in the river? Where do I sign up for that part?
bho0351 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2014, 02:19 PM   #6003
Austinhunter30
Four Point

Hunt In: where ever i can!

Quote:
Ha, good idea. Or you could put them on trash duty for the campsite and surrounding area. Most on the GRXH follow the rules and are respectful of the land and river, but every group has a few who think differently. Besides the blaze orange point, I'll throw out another friendly reminder to be respectful of others on the river during GRXH. I know a few kayakers / canoers who made formal complaints after almost getting hit by a member on this board. From what i remember, that member was drinking while operating his boat.
Austinhunter30 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2014, 03:15 PM   #6004
RickyS
Eight Point

Hunt In: Port Lavaca, Tivoli, Green Lake, Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhunter30 View Post
Ha, good idea. Or you could put them on trash duty for the campsite and surrounding area. Most on the GRXH follow the rules and are respectful of the land and river, but every group has a few who think differently. Besides the blaze orange point, I'll throw out another friendly reminder to be respectful of others on the river during GRXH. I know a few kayakers / canoers who made formal complaints after almost getting hit by a member on this board. From what i remember, that member was drinking while operating his boat.
Pretty safe bet Five-0 will be on the water next time. Ain't it!
RickyS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #6005
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a Tripod usually or Ground Blind.
Cool

Dang Dano !!!! Guess I should get my hunting license, APH pemit, hunter safety card, note from the teacher, dispensation from the Pope, etc... for the next GRXH. Orange vest, orange hat, change of undies. Probably should have me PFD and water safety card for my canoe, as well. Alot to remember for next year.

Last edited by Wudstix; 04-18-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Wudstix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #6006
Archer23
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can, primarily Granger

I really thought hard austin30 maybe LOE. He's seems really professional and well spoken. I'm not surprised if he was a former Seal who left cause it wasn't exciting enough for him and decided to work in the CIA before getting hired by the TPWD to investigate and handle Infractions at granger. Great to have someone like him looking out for us
Archer23 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2014, 12:48 PM   #6007
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Quote:
Sorry that was my bad. TXPEPPER boat is a beast to handle. Did not realize my wake was going to swamp them.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:28 PM   #6008
Txpepper
Ten Point

Hunt In: everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtymike View Post
Sorry that was my bad. TXPEPPER boat is a beast to handle. Did not realize my wake was going to swamp them.
That must have been before you were stump bustin!!!
Txpepper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2014, 09:17 PM   #6009
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Cool

Has this weather helped put any pigs on the ground.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:28 PM   #6010
Austinhunter30
Four Point

Quote:
All good, no harm done. I think their biggest problem was that you operating the boat while drinking.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:01 PM   #6011
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Quote:
All good, no harm done. I think their biggest problem was that you operating the boat while drinking.
cant drink all day if you dont start in the morning
Old 04-26-2014, 02:05 PM   #6012
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Thats what Camelbaks are for.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:02 AM   #6013
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Cool

Thinking about a trip in mid to late May with my new Big River longbow and Grizzly Instinct three blade heads. I'll let you fellas know when I'm going.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:25 AM   #6014
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Good luck with that. Bring your snake boots, and permethin, tick remover, poison ivy soap and machette. You wont be going to far with that long bow in that jungle.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:55 PM   #6015
Sneaky
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hays, Milam, Caldwell, Hamilton, Burnet, Williamson, Bastrop

Quote:
Good luck with that. Bring your snake boots, and permethin, tick remover, poison ivy soap and machette. You wont be going to far with that long bow in that jungle.
Yep!

the only way to hunt Granger in the hot months, is to bait and wait near a place where they are going to wallow.
Sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2014, 03:49 PM   #6016
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky View Post
Yep!

the only way to hunt Granger in the hot months, is to bait and wait near a place where they are going to wallow.
Will consider that, have the permethin, did not plan on doing too much walking anyway. Will probably have another longbow that should be here this week, or so. MOAB will get a rest. Killing all thos pigs at GRXH got her tired. New bow is a Big River 21st Century clone that pulls @3# more (63# was a bit light) and will be pushing the new Grizzly Instinct heads. They got through 1/2" plywood like a 12 gauge slug.

Last edited by Wudstix; 04-27-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:26 PM   #6017
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky View Post
Yep!

Me and austinhunter30 usally cruise the river in the boat drinking beer and shooting them with our shotguns
Old 04-27-2014, 08:12 PM   #6018
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Cool

Quote:
Me and austinhunter30 usally cruise the river in the boat drinking beer and shooting them with our shotguns
So thats you!!!! Messed up more opportunties for a knife kill for me than you will ever know.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:22 PM   #6019
Sneaky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudstix View Post
Will consider that, have the permethin, did not plan on doing too much walking anyway. Will probably have another longbow that should be here this week, or so. MOAB will get a rest. Killing all thos pigs at GRXH got her tired. New bow is a Big River 21st Century clone that pulls @3# more (63# was a bit light) and will be pushing the new Grizzly Instinct heads. They got through 1/2" plywood like a 12 gauge slug.
let me know when you want to go, I'll be happy to join you

Quote:
can I tag along, if I bring beer to share and a whole bunch of blaze orange for us not to wear?
Old 04-27-2014, 09:12 PM   #6020
Archer23
Ten Point

Let me know Wood and I'll try and make it out. Prolly won't hunt much other than corn but it would be good to be out there
Old 04-27-2014, 09:34 PM   #6021
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Cool

I'm thinking about bringing some stinky corn and some fresh to set up a good site and maybe bring a short ladder to cut my scent signature. I'll PM you both if and when Iget to go. First look is the Wednesday thru Friday before the next holiday. Then head home saturday evening. Hopefully with a cooler full of pork.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:42 AM   #6022
bho0351
Ten Point

Hunt In: Blanco County, Granger, and wherever invited

Quote:
don't forget your spotlights so y'all can go after them into the wee hours of the night
bho0351 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2014, 07:18 PM   #6023
AdventureBoy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Granger, Somerville, Luminant

It's finally here after 2 months and 12 days. I'm in love with the look other than the cams, which will be going back to be coated to match the bow. Now for some accessory shopping.
AdventureBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2014, 07:19 PM   #6024
AdventureBoy
Eight Point

Old 04-28-2014, 07:40 PM   #6025
Austinhunter30
Four Point

Quote:
cant drink all day if you dont start in the morning

Real classy. I'm glad this group is so sensitive to those who had lost friends and love ones to DUI / BUI accidents.

Please re-think drinking next time you take control of a boat. If you don't care about your own safety, please consider the others you share the lake with.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:41 PM   #6026
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Cool

Should get good reception even at Granger, Hee-hee. Wood bows don't have any static. Looking to have a very pretty Big River Longbow in a few days.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:55 PM   #6027
RickyS
Eight Point

Quote:
Real classy. I'm glad this group is so sensitive to those who had lost friends and love ones to DUI / BUI accidents.

Please re-think drinking next time you take control of a boat. If you don't care about your own safety, please consider the others you share the lake with.
Austinhunterdude, I liked you a whole lot better when you showed some attitude and was punking some of these woodticks! You're no fun anymore.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:33 PM   #6028
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkuroski1973 View Post
That's just my color. I love it.
Orange you glad its finally here
Old 04-29-2014, 07:38 AM   #6029
HuttoHunter
Four Point

Hunt In: Wherever I get invited

Dirtymike - that is a sweet paintjob on that bow. Is that how it comes from the factory or did you have it done custom?

I've been reading the boards for a couple of weeks, may as well introduce myself. I've just taken up archery/bowhunting. Never hunted hogs, as a kid we'd drive around in my granddad's pickup and shoot deer on our ranch. That was over 25 years ago, so Im pretty much starting from scratch.

You may start seeing a blue dodge ram at some of the sites, that'll be me. Hope to meet ya'll in person.
HuttoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2014, 07:42 AM   #6030
Silent Assassin
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Suburban hunt, Public Lands and anywhere I'm invited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudstix View Post
I'm thinking about bringing some stinky corn and some fresh to set up a good site and maybe bring a short ladder to cut my scent signature. I'll PM you both if and when Iget to go. First look is the Wednesday thru Friday before the next holiday. Then head home saturday evening. Hopefully with a cooler full of pork.
Wife n girls going on a Girl Scout annual camp out in Marble Falls. I'd like to hunt this Friday or Saturday. Let me know if I can join up with y'all. Thanks. Pm inbound.
Silent Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2014, 09:38 AM   #6031
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoHunter View Post
Dirtymike - that is a sweet paintjob on that bow. Is that how it comes from the factory or did you have it done custom?

I've been reading the boards for a couple of weeks, may as well introduce myself. I've just taken up archery/bowhunting. Never hunted hogs, as a kid we'd drive around in my granddad's pickup and shoot deer on our ranch. That was over 25 years ago, so Im pretty much starting from scratch.

You may start seeing a blue dodge ram at some of the sites, that'll be me. Hope to meet ya'll in person.
I wish it was mine, That Jkrouskiiisekruses bow. How ever you spell it... welcome to Granger.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:15 PM   #6032
Archer23
Ten Point

Quote:
That's just my color. I love it.
Orange you glad its finally here
Jim will you be protecting your baby from the harsh environment of granger or will she be the next hog killin machine? Ahhh I remember the days when you were shooting that CB.....glad you made the conversion bud.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:13 PM   #6033
Sneaky
Pope & Young

Quote:

Welcome to the Granger hog hunting brotherhood! Come to GRXH next hear for the full initiation!
Old 04-29-2014, 01:48 PM   #6034
AdventureBoy
Eight Point

Quote:

The bow is an Obsession Evolution, and they come in lots of cool paint jobs.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:50 PM   #6035
AdventureBoy
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by crod888 View Post
Jim will you be protecting your baby from the harsh environment of granger or will she be the next hog killin machine? Ahhh I remember the days when you were shooting that CB.....glad you made the conversion bud.
Nope, she will be a killer. Wanted the extra 20 FPS for the hogs. Glad I converted too.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:34 PM   #6036
Archer23
Ten Point

Quote:
Nope, she will be a killer. Wanted the extra 20 FPS for the hogs. Glad I converted too.
Awesome. We need to get together and shoot sometime
Old 04-30-2014, 05:12 PM   #6037
CMURPH
Spike

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Hey Guy, I'm new to the site. I just moved back to the Hutto area from Cali. I am from here but I spent the last eight years stationed out there in the Navy. I just got into bow hunting last year out in cali and did a little turkey hunting. I have hunted deer and coyotes when I was growing up on my grandparents land, just rifle though. I'm looking to learn more about Granger lake and would like to get out there soon, once I pick up my public land hunting permit. Already got my hunting and fishing combo. Would anybody be interested in showing me the ropes out there at Granger and hunting hogs?
Thanks Guys.
CMURPH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2014, 06:20 PM   #6038
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMURPH View Post
Hey Guy, I'm new to the site. I just moved back to the Hutto area from Cali. I am from here but I spent the last eight years stationed out there in the Navy. I just got into bow hunting last year out in cali and did a little turkey hunting. I have hunted deer and coyotes when I was growing up on my grandparents land, just rifle though. I'm looking to learn more about Granger lake and would like to get out there soon, once I pick up my public land hunting permit. Already got my hunting and fishing combo. Would anybody be interested in showing me the ropes out there at Granger and hunting hogs?
Thanks Guys.
Welcome to the sight! A bunch of these guys on here are pig killing machines, Im sure somebody can help you out
Patton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2014, 07:02 PM   #6039
RickyS
Eight Point

Quote:
It's finally here after 2 months and 12 days. I'm in love with the look other than the cams, which will be going back to be coated to match the bow. Now for some accessory shopping.
Jim, that thing is the bomb!!!
Old 04-30-2014, 10:03 PM   #6040
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Cool

Quote:

As stated by others, welcome and there are many fellas here that hunt Granger regularly. The true Baptism is the GRXH, end of Feb annually.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:04 PM   #6041
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMURPH View Post
Thanks Guys.
Just show up and hunt. Nothing like boots on the ground to get your heart going and the pigs flying. The true baptism is GRXH.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:43 PM   #6042
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Cool

Just got my Big River 21st Century style bow. I am in love. 65#@27' means I'm pulling @66# few more push ups needed!!!!! I'll send pics to sneaky so he can post for this Ol' Man. Seriously thinking about 22-24 May. Mini-GRXH with at least me.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:41 PM   #6043
Sneaky
Pope & Young

Posted for ol' Woodticks :-)
Old 05-01-2014, 10:14 PM   #6044
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Cool

Thanks Sneaky. I'll save a back strap for you. The Bird's Eye maple laminations don't really pop out but they are sweet looking. The Zircote riser with the red strip is sharp. Have to find out what wood that is. Elk horn tips and skinny fast flight string. Hope to take it to Camp Bullis Sunday for hogs/ exotics.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:05 AM   #6045
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Cool

Red and white stripe in riser is maple. Test drive tomorrow, I'm pumped.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:21 PM   #6046
HuttoHunter
Four Point

GRXH, where can I find info on this? Is it a TBH event or something the county,txpw or some other organization puts on? I am really new to all of this in case you cant tell.

I just bought some snake boots today and picked up some broad heads, hoping to start hunting some hogs at Granger soon enough.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:30 PM   #6047
TXFireFighter
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX HillCountry, Granger WMA

Welcome! Don't forget your public land permit and hunter orange. Btw the Granger Ranger Extreme hunt is a TBH thing started here many years ago. I have had the pleasure of attending 4 outta the last 5! Its a heck of a time! Its every year in February. Follow this thread and look for the GRXH thread in January.
TXFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2014, 10:39 PM   #6048
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Cool

Sneaky and Chris; looks like 22-24 May. Hopefully gete out of SA early enough to make a dawn start.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:22 PM   #6049
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Quote:
GRXH, where can I find info on this? Is it a TBH event or something the county,txpw or some other organization puts on? I am really new to all of this in case you cant tell.

I just bought some snake boots today and picked up some broad heads, hoping to start hunting some hogs at Granger soon enough.
To add to Txfirefighter you will need to get your type II hog tag as well.its a blast.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:18 PM   #6050
HuttoHunter
Four Point

Where is a good place to get hunter orange vest and hat? I went by academy today and didnt see any.

Cabelas is to expensive to visit often