Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 02-21-2018, 05:18 PM   #1
quackadikt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can
Default Protein on small acreage?

Is it really worth it if you only have a small acreage place to hunt? I'm talking 20-50 acres or less. There are really no tracts much bigger than 100-150 acres in the neighborhood...most are 10 or less.
quackadikt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2018, 05:24 PM   #2
junior
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bell,Williamson,San Saba Counties

Interested in this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
junior is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2018, 05:29 PM   #3
Z7e_-->
Six Point

Hunt In: Shackelford County

I have a small piece of property with a feeder. Deer (Mostly Doe) come in to feed every morning and evening. I am currently putting down corn/soy bean mixture with intentions of feeding straight pellet protein through off season. My idea is that the deer that are feeding would benefit so why not do it.

I'm in for others opinions
Z7e_--> is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2018, 05:37 PM   #4
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Jack/Coleman/Henderson

I don't care if I have 1 acre or 1000000000 acres. If I have a corn feeder set up there will be protein there as well. Anything I can do to benefit the deer I hunt I will do.
Antlers86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2018, 05:37 PM   #5
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan wells, fedor, paige, rocksprings

I look at it as more of a attractant since it’s on such a small scale. I’m sure they get some benefits from it
kd350 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2018, 05:37 PM   #6
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co., Motley Co., Oldham Co., and any other place I get a chance to.

You will probably get a bunch of different opinions on this. If that small spot is all you got then that is all you got. Holding deer on the property and maintaining a herd isn't really much of an option but keeping them coming in consistently and making those acres a main part of their home range is something you can do. Year round protein/feed, minerals, and water, cover, and pressure are the things you can control. I am in sort of the same situation a smaller place for the area, not that many deer in the area, a small highway on one side, farm ground/CRP surrounding it, and a lot of CRP on the property. What I have chose to do is keep feed, mineral blocks, protein blocks, and water out on the property year round. I also try to minimize traffic on the property and do everything I can to keep the deer from feeling pressured during season. I am going into the 4th year on the property and I am starting to see more deer come around and this past year I had deer showing back up from the year before.
DuramaxDude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2018, 05:48 PM   #7
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan wells, fedor, paige, rocksprings

I look at it as more of a attractant since its on such a small scale. Im sure they get some benefits from it
kd350 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2018, 08:51 PM   #8
BolilloLoco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County

Feed it as long as you can afford it
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2018, 09:01 PM   #9
RLUM
Six Point

Hunt In: Montgomery, Walker, Leon and Kimble counties. RSA

I feed on 75 acres where i live. They consume about 600 pounds of feed every two weeks, there are 15-20 deer on our place every day. we killed 5 deer off the place this year with 2 being mature bucks and 3 doe. The way i see it is with supplemental feed i increase the carrying capacity of our small place and that will keep more deer there. I am going to try and plant a 5-10 acre spring food plot here in the near future.
RLUM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2018, 10:58 PM   #10
deerdynasty
Four Point

depending on the cover on your place or nearby feeding protein and corn mix can make a 100 acre place like a 500 acre non feeding place real fast! as long as u can afford it!
deerdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2018, 08:38 AM   #11
tbgascorer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills County

If you can afford to do so and want to attract animals, go for it. They will spend more time on your place and that little extra time might be enough for you to harvest a special animal. But, others surrounding you will benefit from your pocketbook. No matter how many good things you supply the deer with, water, cover, food, does, little to no pressure, they still will jump that fence. They are animals and travel around for whatever reason. They cannot rationalize that they have all they need by staying within your boundary. Their home range is simply much greater.
tbgascorer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2018, 08:52 AM   #12
Honker
Eight Point

Hunt In: where the wild things are

We have 62 acres and we feed protein with gravity feeders. Works for us.
Honker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2018, 08:59 AM   #13
Ruttin&Struttin
Six Point

Hunt In: North Texas, South East Texas, Hill Country

Yes, feed protein. Doesn't matter you are on a small property. The deer hop fences everyday everywhere. They will come if you are feeding something they like and/or need that the neighbors aren't. Good luck.
Ruttin&Struttin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2018, 09:09 AM   #14
BitBackShot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano County

Think it definitely has an effect as some of your deer will be more "regulars" than others. Over a few years, it can certainly produce results.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2018, 09:24 AM   #15
tmstuk
Eight Point

Hunt In: Milam County

I've seen positive results from feeding protein. I also seen an increase in usage after installing a water guzzler nearby.
tmstuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2018, 09:51 AM   #16
RyanE17
Four Point

Hunt In: Lampasas County/Wherever

We have 50 acres and have fed protein over the past couple of years. We also had donkeys for the first couple of years so, it was a waste of time since we didn't have feeder pens. We got rid of the donkeys this year and the deer have been hammering the protein daily. As someone mentioned above, you are going to be helping out your neighbors as well but, that comes with the territory with free range hunting. However, if you consistently have deer coming to the protein (especially now) you should see the benefits come opening weekend.
RyanE17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2018, 09:53 AM   #17
bowsticker
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, Brackettville

I would feed it...It will help the deer that you are hunting and harvesting
bowsticker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2018, 09:58 AM   #18
quackadikt
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmstuk View Post
I also seen an increase in usage after installing a water guzzler nearby.
That's the next slated project. I think we're just going to run a water hose with a fill valve to one of those 50gal rubbermaid tanks.

Being on bit of a budget, I'm thinking that a timed feeder might be better on my wallet than free choice...this place is in the Hill Country(so plenty of deer), and there are some Axis around. Any clue what I'm looking at in costs for feed? I know nothing about feeding protein.
quackadikt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2018, 10:05 AM   #19
BaseKAM36
Four Point

Hunt In: central Texas

whats the best % of protein? I've heard 14% 18% 20% 22%? I own a small tract and currently have 2 small food plots and feed protein. had a very successful season. but always room for improvement.
BaseKAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2018, 10:45 AM   #20
PapaBear
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason/Kimble County

This is my personal experience. I have a feeder on about 30 acres on the outside of Mason, pretty close to town. I fed protein from January 15th until august and switched to corn. On September 27th, opening morning, I killed the second biggest buck I have ever seen on that place. I had the biggest buck at 40 yards that afternoon with a mesquite tree blocking his vitals. Prior to that year and since that year, I have not been able to feed protein for various reasons, and the deer just have not been what they were that year I fed protein.
PapaBear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2018, 11:01 AM   #21
U.S.ArmyRetired
Ten Point

What is a good protein to feed from the same feeder as your spin corn feeder? I am running 3 corn feeders on 40 acres.
U.S.ArmyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2018, 12:55 PM   #22
elgato
Ten Point

AS stated it will help attract deer to your place. As long as you are comfortable feeding deer that may well be shot off your property then go for it.
elgato is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2018, 01:26 PM   #23
tbgascorer
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackadikt View Post
That's the next slated project. I think we're just going to run a water hose with a fill valve to one of those 50gal rubbermaid tanks.

Being on bit of a budget, I'm thinking that a timed feeder might be better on my wallet than free choice...this place is in the Hill Country(so plenty of deer), and there are some Axis around. Any clue what I'm looking at in costs for feed? I know nothing about feeding protein.
Timed will be straight attraction then. You'd do just as well feeding corn and $5 a bag cheaper.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:54 PM   #24
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
What is a good protein to feed from the same feeder as your spin corn feeder? I am running 3 corn feeders on 40 acres.
I dont know much about anything, but mixing corn and protein in a spin feeder is no bueno. The protein will attract moisture and will clog up the spinner plate, then the cussing starts.

Might be cheaper for you to get an inexpensive protein feeder and put it in the middle of your property, and maybe not hunt over it.

On a small tract of property, 16% protein will be good and cheaper to buy. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Radar; 02-22-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2018, 05:24 PM   #25
cva34
Eight Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I dont know much about anything, but mixing corn and protein in a spin feeder is no bueno. The protein will attract moisture and will clog up the spinner plate, then the cussing starts.

Might be cheaper for you to get and inexpensive protein feeder and put it in the middle of your property, and maybe not hunt over it.

On a small tract of property, 16% protein will be good and cheaper to buy. Just my opinion.
Radar you know Lots and that fst statement proves..I seen that also..Matter of fact I agree with all above THX
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2018, 05:26 PM   #26
cva34
Eight Point

Default Protein Feeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post

Might be cheaper for you to get and inexpensive protein feeder and put it in the middle of your property, and maybe not hunt over it.

Radar you know Lots and that fst statement proves..I seen that also..Matter of fact I agree with all above THX
Old 02-23-2018, 07:32 AM   #27
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co., Motley Co., Oldham Co., and any other place I get a chance to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackadikt View Post

You may look at some of the roasted corn and soybean mixes. The protein content is higher than corn but probably not as high as protein. It wont soak up moisture and clog feeders the way protein will and it is cheaper than protein. I have started feeding the roasted corn and soybean mix which the deer really seem to like. I have put out protein blocks at my feeders as well as an attempt to increase available protein. I have also put out some mineral blocks at my feeders. You may even try to put out loose mineral near your feeders also instead of a block it may create a mineral lick which are decent attractants for deer as well.
DuramaxDude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2018, 07:46 AM   #28
Roscoe
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coryell County

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbgascorer View Post
If you can afford to do so and want to attract animals, go for it. They will spend more time on your place and that little extra time might be enough for you to harvest a special animal. But, others surrounding you will benefit from your pocketbook. No matter how many good things you supply the deer with, water, cover, food, does, little to no pressure, they still will jump that fence. They are animals and travel around for whatever reason. They cannot rationalize that they have all they need by staying within your boundary. Their home range is simply much greater.

Spot on right here. ^^^^

Weve been feeding protein on 107 acres for several years. We have a lot of bucks on the property every summer, always a few really nice ones mixed in. Most of which go awol around velvet shedding time. The first few years it can be a little disheartening to feedem and have them leave, but in the end Ive just come to enjoy watching them grow every summer. I know the potential of the deer in the area because I feed. Weve killed a few nice ones. One day well put a sure enough hoss on the wall. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2018, 07:58 AM   #29
bassmatt72
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any place I can.

Yes, feed as much as you can and add water! Water will make a big difference, especially if there is no major water source around.
bassmatt72 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2018, 08:06 AM   #30
hammer63
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney Co.TX

Quote:
Timed will be straight attraction then. You'd do just as well feeding corn and $5 a bag cheaper.
Not to derail or be argumentative but, I feed 20000# through two timed feeders every year and that's certainly more than just an attractant.
hammer63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2018, 08:09 AM   #31
forced-2-work
Six Point

Hunt In: Ft Mckavett/Kimble County

We have 80 acres and have 2 protein spots. The bucks come in force during antler growth time, and are plentiful during bow season. Once the gun season starts they get leery of the gun fire and are seen less. On our place it has made a big difference from year 1 to now feeding protein. Do it if you can, and def have water close by.
forced-2-work is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2018, 08:10 AM   #32
cva34
Eight Point

Soybeans are 30+protein corn is-10 protein so with them numbers a 50/50 mix would be 20 protein...I can only think Roasted Soybeans don't lose any protein in Roasting...

My Bro farms hundreds of ac of soybeans and corn..I get some corn from him (storage is my problem)..One year he said he had a couple barrel of soybeans (from Combine clean out) if I wanted ..Well I took them and mixed with corn in feeders..ground was covered with Soybeans and all Corn eaten...After evey rain I had a patch of soybeans..So I concluded Deer/Hogs don't like raw Soybeans...
I have considered trying Roasted Just ain't got to it ...But This Year when I change Deer Leases I will....
Old 02-23-2018, 08:13 AM   #33
Hunter_Man
Ten Point

i've got 100 acres and i just started feeding protein this year... holy crap they are hammering it. i can't keep the dang thing full.
Hunter_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2018, 08:19 AM   #34
Balcones_Walker
Eight Point

One way to find out. Protein is underrated as an attractant, in my experience.
Balcones_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2018, 08:31 AM   #35
MASTERS
Ten Point

Hunt In: In the brush....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer63 View Post
Not to derail or be argumentative but, I feed 20000# through two timed feeders every year and that's certainly more than just an attractant.
yep the 6.5 tons I fed through one hammer timer on small acreage last year was just an attractant
MASTERS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2018, 08:38 AM   #36
stxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County

Quote:
I beg to differ. I feed out of a timed protein feeder which keeps my loss to coons and birds at a minimum. The protein head can hold up to 75lbs of protein and can feed up to 6 times per day if I so choose. It also allows me to know when I need to go back and fill up the feeder, never being out of feed in between fill ups. For me the benefits of feeding timed far out weigh feeding through a gravity feeder.
stxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2018, 01:16 PM   #37
tbgascorer
Ten Point

Quote:
Sorry fellas, I took it as spin timed. Trough type is certainly helpful. Carry on.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:17 AM   #38
Donut Operator
Spike

Hunt In: Mclennan County

Interested in this. We run two feeders about to do protein this year. Thing I run into here is we are surrounded by farm area so lots of leftover corn etc and they don’t alway push to feeder or plots.
Donut Operator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2018, 02:52 PM   #39
MQ32Shooter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cisco, Texas

I've got two (2) 1,000 lb. protein feeders on 120 acres. They keep it cleaned out when the acorns and food plots are used up.
MQ32Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2018, 03:25 PM   #40
Capp35
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard & Milam county

Tried protein one year on our 1200 acres. Never saw a difference from the year before with corn/apple scented.
We also tried dried split peas (looked like black eyed peas) in one of our feeders one year. The feed store said the deer would stand in line to eat it and all the ranchers were doing it there. Figured I would try it because of the higher protein level.
Saw fewer deer at that feeder than I did at my corn feeders.
Capp35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2018, 03:26 PM   #41
Darton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

One of the biggest factors I would consider is what kind of hunting pressure exists around you? If it is minimal I would not be afraid to assume the expense, but if pressure is heavy I would most likely not do it unless I could establish a coop with the surrounding land owners to jump on board with the plan
Darton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2018, 03:31 PM   #42
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

I have 180 acres and feed protein, rice bran, and have corn feeders throwing.
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2018, 05:12 PM   #43
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Choctaw Co. OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darton View Post
One of the biggest factors I would consider is what kind of hunting pressure exists around you? If it is minimal I would not be afraid to assume the expense, but if pressure is heavy I would most likely not do it unless I could establish a coop with the surrounding land owners to jump on board with the plan
But if you are the only one feeding protein and there isn't much pressure at all around you, would it be beneficial to feed protein? Are you really going to see a difference if you're the only one feeding it?

I guess it would all depend on what your main goal was?

What are the main advantages of feeding protein on small acreages vs. just feeding rice bran/corn or another attractant? How expensive is protein compared to other feeding products?
SFAbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2018, 05:43 PM   #44
BolilloLoco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
But if you are the only one feeding protein and there isn't much pressure at all around you, would it be beneficial to feed protein? Are you really going to see a difference if you're the only one feeding it?

I guess it would all depend on what your main goal was?

What are the main advantages of feeding protein on small acreages vs. just feeding rice bran/corn or another attractant? How expensive is protein compared to other feeding products?
IMO it is beneficial to protein feed small acreage. Pellets have more minerals than most other supplemental feeds. This will give the deer a better chance to develop their antlers to full potential. You may not notice a difference at first, but over time you will see a difference on your regular visitors.

A bag of protein will cost you approximately double what a bag of corn will. But you don't have to feed year round to see benefits. Some people only feed February - September. Costs me $2,000 - $3,000 for year-round feed on 118 acres.
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2018, 03:56 AM   #45
tmstuk
Eight Point

Hunt In: Milam County

Something that I've not seen mentioned on this thread yet so I'll give you my $.02. It also helps does and fawns. Does seem to be healthier and if you have healthy does it is my opinion that the fawns benefit.
Over the past few years I have feed protein from free choice feeders and have seen an increase in the amount of deer I see. Still have not killed a 130 but I've had them on camera and they seem to stick around until I start hunting them. I think that a camera on the feeder helps identify bucks year to year.
I've got pics of bucks at my protein feeders that I've never seen at a corn feeder.
I hunt 130 acres with 2 600 lb. feeders and 3 corn slingers.

Edit: I also plant food plots as a hobby!
tmstuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top