Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-05-2017, 11:20 AM   #251
salth2o
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Delta County and anywhere else I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
I'm sorry, but for the very best, you need to put the seasoning in the water. The ten best batches of crawfish that I've ever eaten were done that way, and that's how I do it. I really don't see a down side to it. People in Louisiana laugh at the sprinkling seasoning over the top of already cooked crawfish. All you're doing is getting the seasoning on your hands and that is getting on the tails as you peel them.
I think you misunderstand the process. Boil in clean water, then dump them into the slurry of seasonings and let them soak in that. No sprinkling seasoning on top of the crawfish.

But as meatcutter said...lots of ways to prepare them to get to a good end result.
salth2o is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2017, 11:29 AM   #252
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but for the very best, you need to put the seasoning in the water. The ten best batches of crawfish that I've ever eaten were done that way, and that's how I do it. I really don't see a down side to it. People in Louisiana laugh at the sprinkling seasoning over the top of already cooked crawfish. All you're doing is getting the seasoning on your hands and that is getting on the tails as you peel them.

Have you ever eaten them using this exact method?
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2017, 11:37 AM   #253
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
I put the seasonings in the water, bring it to a rolling boil, put the bugs in, bring it back to a boil for 5 minutes, then put ice in it to stop the cooking, stir and let them soak for at least 20 minutes. I will put mine against anyone's. The two biggest mistakes that people make is overcooking them and underseasoning. You shouldn't add cayenne until you put the crawfish in. You can cook the hot right out of the cayenne. The reason that restaurants can't get it right is that they don't clean them, underseason, and they keep using the same crappy, dirty water all ****ed day.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2017, 11:32 AM   #254
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
Quote:
I put the seasonings in the water, bring it to a rolling boil, put the bugs in, bring it back to a boil for 5 minutes, then put ice in it to stop the cooking, stir and let them soak for at least 20 minutes. I will put mine against anyone's. The two biggest mistakes that people make is overcooking them and underseasoning. You shouldn't add cayenne until you put the crawfish in. You can cook the hot right out of the cayenne. The reason that restaurants can't get it right is that they don't clean them, underseason, and they keep using the same crappy, dirty water all ****ed day.
But you didn't answer AC's question?
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2018, 10:03 AM   #255
salth2o
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
i have ever had ! our bud did two sacks last night at a annual chili fest cook off down here near corpus. 5 gallons hot water, 5 lbs. of seasoning that he gets from a place in Katy and 1 gallon of mustard. mix it all up and put in a big cooler. he boiled bugs in clean clear plain water and dumped in the mixture when done. let them soak for 20-30 mins then eat. holy cow was it good. never have heard of it being done like this but its the only way i want it done from now on. that good ! boiled potatoes, mushroom and corn as well.
resurrecting this old fella because its finna go down this weekend at Casa de salth2o.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:30 PM   #256
donpablo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Iraan, Culberson County & Public Land
Question

What's the recipe if you're not doing that much; let's say for a family of 4?
donpablo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2018, 01:50 PM   #257
crumrw
Six Point

Hunt In: Hunt county

Also keeps from corroded those expensive aluminum boil pots. I've seen crab boil eat right through the side of one of those things!
crumrw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2018, 11:08 AM   #258
salth2o
Pope & Young

This is what the water looks like after a clean water boil.

And the slurry is doing its thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2018, 11:54 AM   #259
SaintBlaise
Four Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
Ok I'm interested.....where they too salty? I've had some crawfish that were soaked in heavily seasoned liquid (not exactly like that) and they sucked in way too much salt. I'm talking about way too much salt and this is coming from a guy who puts Tony's or Zatarain's on everything I eat.lol

I'm interested in trying that, it sounds really good.
---
fyi...Tony's Chachere's is merely overpriced salt. Look on their label, it says "use as salt". Another misconception using a seasoning mix is that most or all the granules are red. So, you thought you are turning on the heat by adding the seasoning. However, the season packers use red salt, so you could have just been turning up the salt. I would just steer clear of Tony's.

I heard that adding potatoes can pull salt out of the water. I have not tried, but at that point you've got nothing to lose.
SaintBlaise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2018, 12:41 PM   #260
Jamesl
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Colorado, New Mexico

I did this method last year, except I steamed them before the seasoned bath. The steam water had to be changed a lot because it would get so nasty. I rinsed the crawdad's several times prior to steaming. I would have a hard time eating crawfish done the traditional way after experiencing that. I think that is how the traditional way came about. All the seasoning added would cover up all the stench and nasty stuff left behind in the water.
Jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2018, 01:26 PM   #261
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

It's all about the soak. The longer they soak the spicier and better they will be. 20 minutes is for women and Yankees. Lol.
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2018, 01:28 PM   #262
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesl View Post
I did this method last year, except I steamed them before the seasoned bath. The steam water had to be changed a lot because it would get so nasty. I rinsed the crawdad's several times prior to steaming. I would have a hard time eating crawfish done the traditional way after experiencing that. I think that is how the traditional way came about. All the seasoning added would cover up all the stench and nasty stuff left behind in the water.

I totally agree. We started using this method a couple of years ago and when we saw what the water looked like after steaming them we were shocked.
I really like this method. IMO it works so much better....especially when doing multiple boils. The slurry just seems to soak up so much more of the flavor.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:24 PM   #263
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesl View Post
Check out smoky ribs you tube, he does the steam method with the frogbone seasoning, the guy with frogbone has a video as well, makes the most sense to me.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2018, 06:44 PM   #264
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

tag
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2018, 10:51 AM   #265
Bowtech Shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lee, Fayette, KENDALL

do you bowl the crawfish slurry first and then cool it down or just mix it in the water?
Bowtech Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2018, 01:06 PM   #266
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtech Shooter View Post
do you bowl the crawfish slurry first and then cool it down or just mix it in the water?

Iím assuming you mean boil? We use hot water and the seasoning. No need to boil the slurry.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:08 PM   #267
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtech Shooter View Post
You bring the slurry or soak up to 140-145, after boiling the crawfish for approx 5 min you drain and drop them in the slurry for 20-30 min, they will suck all the seasoning into them and will not continue to cook.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:10 PM   #268
Bowtech Shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lee, Fayette, KENDALL

sorry,
meant boil. So you just can use warm water for the slurry. I didn't know if it had to boil and then sit long enough to cool back to room temp.
Bowtech Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2018, 01:50 PM   #269
Hardware
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas, Western US & Argentina

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotat...&v=zZHy_J86HeE
Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2018, 10:14 PM   #270
ryanwood08
Ten Point

Hunt In: rocksprings

Can anyone that has done this for 1 sack of crawfish tell me how much Kayan and how much liquid boil they used? In the video he puts a lot and that seems like way to much for just 1 sack

ryanwood08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2018, 09:01 AM   #271
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwood08 View Post
Can anyone that has done this for 1 sack of crawfish tell me how much Kayan and how much liquid boil they used? In the video he puts a lot and that seems like way to much for just 1 sack

You can order his boil, he has 1 pound and 4 pound bags, I think the 1 pound bag will do a sack of crawfish.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:36 AM   #272
critter69
Ten Point

Hunt In: CO and Texas when I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginCagin View Post
Mustard on crawfish? sorry but sounds disgusting. seems everyone wants to put their own twist and make boiling crawfish really fancy when its really a very simple process once you get the technique down of boil time and seasoning ratio.
I seen were someone asked boil time, I read one that said 7 min. Is this what everyone does ?
critter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2018, 10:01 AM   #273
tmstuk
Eight Point

Hunt In: Milam County

I do 5-7 minutes. IMHO overcooking them is near Blasphemy!
tmstuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2018, 10:07 AM   #274
Encinal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Spite of Wife's Complaints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
I bet $50,000 they.....oh wait...
Hehehe
Encinal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2018, 10:56 AM   #275
Junkers88
Ten Point

Hunt In: searching

I wasn't even considering crawfish this weekend until I read this! So set me straight. 5 gallons of hot water, add in your spice of choice along with yellow mustard. Clean water boil the bugs (5-7 minutes after they go into a pot of water that's at a rolling boil) then pull them out and drop them into the slurry stuff that you made and put into a cooler. Close lid and let sit for 20 minutes? I"m guessing the veggies and sausage can be thrown in the clean water boil with the bugs or do you do those in a separate boil? We're only going to do 10-20 pounds for the family to munch on.

Cheers!
Junkers88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2018, 01:01 PM   #276
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkers88 View Post
I wasn't even considering crawfish this weekend until I read this! So set me straight. 5 gallons of hot water, add in your spice of choice along with yellow mustard. Clean water boil the bugs (5-7 minutes after they go into a pot of water that's at a rolling boil) then pull them out and drop them into the slurry stuff that you made and put into a cooler. Close lid and let sit for 20 minutes? I"m guessing the veggies and sausage can be thrown in the clean water boil with the bugs or do you do those in a separate boil? We're only going to do 10-20 pounds for the family to munch on.

Cheers!
I think you can just cook the potato, corn and sausage in your seasoned water, let the temp get back down to 140 ish before you drop your boiled bugs in it, let soak for 20 - 30 minutes and go to town.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:11 PM   #277
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkers88 View Post
We add a stick of butter and lots of lemon halves to every slurry mix. The butter and the lemon makes em peel real easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
I think you can just cook the potato, corn and sausage in your seasoned water, let the temp get back down to 140 ish before you drop your boiled bugs in it, let soak for 20 - 30 minutes and go to town.
Yep...the first slurry boil gets the taters, onion, corn and sausage

Last edited by RascalArms; 04-01-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:37 PM   #278
Poco
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Webb County

One of many slurryís. This one from last week.

Poco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2018, 04:55 PM   #279
Tx_Wader
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

Still like mine boiled in Swamp dust and clean well water then dumping a bag of ice on top and letting them sit for 20 minutes.

Different strokes.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2018, 07:58 PM   #280
bps3040
Pope & Young

Hunt In: West Texas, Dryden area, Forestville, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampuscat View Post
You oughta try "Slap Yer Mamma" sometime

Yep

bps3040 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2018, 08:39 PM   #281
SwineAssassiN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bastrop co. Brazoria co.

I did this method this weekend and I did 5 gallons of water, 10 pounds of powder seasoning and 8 oranges and 8 lemons in the slurry, I did 60 pounds this way and I had several people tell me they were the best juiciest crawfish they’ve ever eaten
SwineAssassiN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2018, 09:23 PM   #282
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx_Wader View Post
Still like mine boiled in Swamp dust and clean well water then dumping a bag of ice on top and letting them sit for 20 minutes.

Different strokes.
Well thatís cool I guess........but have you ever tried this method?
Old 05-12-2018, 02:45 PM   #283
RascalArms
Pope & Young

It's about to start happening here folks
Old 05-12-2018, 03:00 PM   #284
shiner78
Ten Point

Hunt In: gonzales, county

Gonna be a lot of puffy lips later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
shiner78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2018, 03:09 PM   #285
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiner78 View Post
Gonna be a lot of puffy lips later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Ha ha!
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2018, 03:39 PM   #286
Soldier of C
Eight Point

Something about the mudbugs this year. Just seem really good and bigger than usually. We did about 110lbs this day. Nothing left.
Attached Images

Soldier of C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2018, 04:50 PM   #287
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Default mud bugs boiled in clean unseasoned water = the best

First batch is out
Getting some soak time

Adding some cored whole pineapple WOW!

Last edited by RascalArms; 05-12-2018 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:08 PM   #288
RascalArms
Pope & Young