Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 07-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #151
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

well i was finally able to get some decent water on the plot today with the help of a buddy with a large tank and pump sprayer, still holding out for any kind of rain though.

was upset to see the newest round of pics and see that the big one had knocked a chunk of velvet off the tip of his left main beam, i found the piece of velvet in one of the feeder troughs yesterday and thought it was squirrel fur (strangely), it was recommended by someone that my feeder may have been to blame, and it was.

gonna be real interesting to see what he does now.

this primos cam takes good pics buy they need to be zoomed in:

jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #152
unclefish
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Elk in CO....Deer in Lyons, TX

He's looking fine!
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #153
BIG BONE
Pope & Young

he is a horse
BIG BONE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #154
Bone Thug
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion County

Cool thread!!!!
Bone Thug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #155
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefish View Post
He's looking fine!

My plot isnt...lol. how are yours looking? I got some fertilizer out yesterday and water on it today, hope it helps.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #156
unclefish
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
My plot isnt...lol. how are yours looking? I got some fertilizer out yesterday and water on it today, hope it helps.
Mine are toast. Neighbor let the cows in accidentally and they ate everything to the ground....plus we have not had any rain in a month. Very brown and very dry.

I suspect that my Durana Clover will take off again in the fall once cooler weather and rains come back.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #157
jshouse
Pope & Young

ah yes, i remember now, sorry to bring that back up....lol

surprisingly i have two pockets of clover that are holding fairly strong, i flooded them yesterday so maybe they will hold on a bit longer till i can water again.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #158
EastTexasMan
Ten Point

Hunt In: A pop up Blind in East Texas

I had to shred mine. Weeds over took the peas/beans. It was sad looking at all the cut stalks, but atleast they got 3 months out of it ....

Be nice if he dropped a drop tine out of that injured spot.
EastTexasMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #159
jshouse
Pope & Young

that sucks man, the weeds arent too bad in mine, some grass and goat weed is starting to come up in patches but i am not to worried about them, being the first time planting this spot. i just need rain.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #160
jshouse
Pope & Young

hopefully the rain we got this week will help the peas/beans pull through for a big longer, half of the clover is doing good, the other half is still struggling.

here is big boy two days ago, the damaged left side is gonna be interesting, the mass is there though.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #161
wellingtontx
Ten Point

Hunt In: Collingsworth County, Texas

Great looking deer. Cant wait to see how he finishes.
wellingtontx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #162
unclefish
Pope & Young

What a great buck! Are those ticks on his horns or bumps?
Old 07-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #163
jshouse
Pope & Young

they are little bumps, he is gonna have several extra kickers and stickers this year. there is a clover plot off camera to the right, i am pretty sure he is crossing through it to get to that feeder.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:37 PM   #164
unclefish
Pope & Young

Quote:
they are little bumps, he is gonna have several extra kickers and stickers this year. there is a clover plot off camera to the right, i am pretty sure he is crossing through it to get to that feeder.
Cool. I've seen ticks covering velvet antlers to the point it looked like they had leprosy.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #165
jshouse
Pope & Young

yeah me too, saw one hit by a car last year, had a bunch of ticks on the antlers
Old 07-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #166
huntnfishtex
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Childress, lampasas, burnet Granger

toad
huntnfishtex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2013, 12:27 AM   #167
Russ
Pope & Young

Wow man! He's looking good! Looks like he might split a few more times!
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2013, 12:53 AM   #168
Karmstrong
Four Point

Hunt In: Hico & Nemo

Nice looking place you have.
Karmstrong is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #169
slomo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Taylor and Nolan county

Beautiful property. I believe if i saw a deer like that id have a heart attack before i got my bow pulled back lol...
slomo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #170
jshouse
Pope & Young

havent gotten a pic of the big one about 10 days, really since we had 3-4 days of rain a few weeks ago. the plot has been taken over by goat weed, there are still some small pockets of peas and beans that are holding on but most of it was wiped out before the rain came a few weeks ago. half of the clover/chicory is doing pretty well, i will over seed it in september.

i have started hand corning some spots to try to catch the big one lurking and may try some alfalfa hay again.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #171
unclefish
Pope & Young

Do you dove hunt on ur place?
Old 07-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #172
jshouse
Pope & Young

no, i havent in about 20 years. there are dove all over it now though, i just havent had to urge to go hunt, especially since the day i saw that buck.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #173
unclefish
Pope & Young

I hear ya. I was hesitant to hunt mine too the first few years but we started hunting it opening weekend and killed a lot of doves and it didnt seem to affect the deer at all.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #174
jshouse
Pope & Young

well the big deer showed back up after being gone (from cams anyway) for 10 days, and then had two more young bucks show up this week that i am real excited to see and hope they can make it another few years. just like last time, the plots are all but done, i think it was a combination of planting a week or two late, not having enough land planted, and obviously lack of rain. the clover is holding on, but barely, need some rain bad.

i am probably a few weeks away from my first GLY session, which will be followed by a second one a few weeks after that, getting ready for some planting in early-mid september. i haqve some buck forage oats, wheat, and turnips left from my small plot last year for the big part of the plot and will be overseeding my clover patches with some durana if i can find it. i will probably try some winter peas too.

i dont know if i am going to expand the plot this fall or not but i definitely will next spring, hopefully adding at least another .5 acre or more, its just tough to make it bigger without being in view of prying eyes.

here is big and the two youngsters, the top one is 2 (was a spike last year) and i am hoping the droptine one is too but he may be 3...

Last edited by jshouse; 08-05-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:31 PM   #175
unclefish
Pope & Young

Man what a stud. His belly is more impressive than my FIL's. He ain't done growing yet either. He's still pretty round on the end of his points. Just a great buck. How old do you think?

I wanna see a LPD of him this year! Go get him!

I like the last buck with the kicker/droptine point. He will be awesome in a year or two.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:42 PM   #176
jshouse
Pope & Young

i think he is 6, pretty sure he was a 4 year old 10 the first year i saw him and a 5 year old 12 last year. i am almost as interested to see how much he weighs as i am to hold his antlers...lol.

that droptine buck will be awesome to watch if he can make it, and as a proponent of AR's i really hope he widens out a bit in the process...
Old 08-05-2013, 11:48 PM   #177
jshouse
Pope & Young

a buddy of mine went out with me today and put out some peanuts, he swears by them. he also bought some kind of molasses block he found for deer, it is all in front of that moultrie camera, with some apple corn, so we will see next weekend if they take to it.

we put some peanuts and deer nuggets out on another trail too that was covered up with deer last week when i hand corned it, will see how they like them compared to corn.

the peanuts are still in the shell, he said u can get 5lb bags at costco for $4.99, a bit cheaper than the powdered attractants at walmart.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:13 AM   #178
texashunter56
Ten Point

Great looking buck. Nice progression post also. I would be buying me a new protein feeder though, since that one has already caused him to break his mainbeam on that one side. That style feeder is very difficult for a buck of that size to eat out of without damaging his antlers in velvet.
texashunter56 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2013, 01:27 AM   #179
jshouse
Pope & Young

good call, i replaced it two weeks ago with a boss buck style 3-way feeder, and he wont touch it. last week i filled the other one and moved it over right in the middle of the two plots, he was back on it. gonna keep it full till the deed is done....or till he leaves me broken hearted again....
Old 08-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #180
jshouse
Pope & Young

here are few recent pics...the big deer is the only mature deer i have seen in over 2 months, there are still 4-5 bucks that would be shooters this year that i havent see yet this summer, so i poured some hand corn/rice bran on the ground at the front of the property to see what was moving up there and i get the big deer on it 3-4 days, even at 350pm. there are houses and goat pens/pig pens about 30 yards to the right of him in these pics. and that is the end of the property that i have to access it from so if he running around down there it is gonna change some things. really didnt want to see him up there.

here he is bringing up the rear to the protein, that is a failed clover plot behind him and the neighbors fence not to far from it.

here are the future shooters, i really like that tall 8 to the right and the other heavier one behind him in the first pic, i have both of them at 3 right now.

the tall one again on the right and the heavier one in the back left. that weird 6pt if probly gonna get an arrow from my buddy if he shows up, he is looking more and more like a 4.5 year old deer as the summer goes on, kind of cool looking though
Old 08-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #181
RINCON
Ten Point

impressive...hope you get him.
RINCON is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #182
Moose
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wood/Wise County

He's a dang good looking deer, the key is going to be getting him to stick around once those bachelor group split. Are you feeding protein now? I went ahead and changed my gravity feeder to corn 2 weeks ago as they seem to like it more in the early fall than the protein- One thing is for sure, the deer in NE TX aren't real easy to pattern.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #183
jshouse
Pope & Young

Feeding protein and have 2 spinners with corn going too. He usually hits the protein and a spinner when he shows up. been having good luck with him on the hand corn too.

Last edited by jshouse; 08-20-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #184
rcarlisle85
Six Point

Very cool stuff. I'll be following along.
rcarlisle85 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #185
jshouse
Pope & Young

here are a few updated pics, not much going on out there right but filling feeders, the plot is done, we sprayed it a few weeks ago now just waiting on some rain to get the fall plot in, it will probably be after bow season opens. i am going to try to wait till i kill the big deer or he runs away with my soul again.

i did hang my tree stand yesterday on the southwest end of the plot and brushed in a pop up on the northwest side of the plot.

this is the pop up from a spot i have been hand corning, there is a feeder straight out in front, this spot is to your left and i have another hand corn spot to the right of it.

the tree stand

chum pile on a trail to the feeders off to the left when you are sitting in the stand, getting a bunch of pics of the big deer right there

small chum pile to the right

and feeders back behind me off to the left a bit

the big one is pretty much finished out, i love the tine length and MB's in this pic

from 1.5 year old to 6.5 year old

new 10 pt that showed up a few weeks ago, no more pics of him since though

deer on some hand corn

that 10 above is a buck i have seen for 3 years now too, 5.5 year old, looks like a baby next to the big one.

just gonna fill the feeders and watch the pics the next few weeks and try to decide of going in early in the morning will kill that deer. he shows up a few times a week around 5am, so that is kind of scaring me away from morning hunts but i will see what he is doing closer to the opener.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #186
unclefish
Pope & Young

Looks like a great setup. Man those bucks have some big bellies on them. I'll expect some LDP's on the 28th!
Old 09-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #187
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefish View Post
Looks like a great setup. Man those bucks have some big bellies on them. I'll expect some LDP's on the 28th!
thank you sir, you and me both! you like that goat weed plot in the background? hopefully next spring i wont have as much trouble with that stuff.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #188
BIG BONE
Pope & Young

what a toad, good luck this year
BIG BONE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #189
unclefish
Pope & Young

Quote:
thank you sir, you and me both! you like that goat weed plot in the background? hopefully next spring i wont have as much trouble with that stuff.
Man I have it too and its hard to get rid of. You can kill it but as soon as you plow again more seeds germinate. I need a no-till drill.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #190
Moose
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wood/Wise County

Good looking deer, I hope he stays fat and lazy in his old age and you get to knock him over. Seems like you're definitely due as much work as you've put in over the last couple of years.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #191
Txdeerhunter243
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards and Lavaca co.

That one is a BRUTE! Best of luck, hope you get him!
Txdeerhunter243 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #192
jshouse
Pope & Young

thanks guys, its been a long year...lol
Old 09-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #193
Tshelly
Ten Point

Hunt In: Walker, Montgomery, Trinity, & Lee

Awesome story! I've got two I'm chasing as well. Much luck too you. I will be tuned in
Tshelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2013, 09:05 PM   #194
GWHunter
Ten Point

Just awesome! Hope you get your hands on him soon, will be looking foward to LDP's!
GWHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #195
brents45
Eight Point

Hunt In: east texas, hill country

Good luck, very nice deer and place!
brents45 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #196
Aggieivy06
Six Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
thanks guys, its been a long year...lol
It's been a great year following you and that buck. You've worked hard and done everything right. The fun part is almost here and I can't wait to see you holding that rack this year. Good luck!
Aggieivy06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #197
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen / Refugio

What a cool thread, man I hope you smoke that dude JS!
kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #198
FCTrapper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa/McMullen County

Your sleepless nights will hopefully end in a couple of weeks.
FCTrapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #199
jshouse
Pope & Young

thanks fellas, gonna go down tomorrow and put the finishing touches on the place, gonna mow the path the stand and need to add a few steps to the tree. probably just gonna wait a few weeks on the food plot since the rain chances for next week keep dwindling. hopefully i will have the bog one on the ground quick and i quit worrying about it all...lol.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #200
jshouse
Pope & Young

I went out today and mowed a new path through the north side of the pasture to give me a little easier access to my stand and found about 10 of these, most small and not bearing fruit but a few of them big and full of fruit, which was all eaten up to about 5ft off the ground...

http://s37.photobucket.com/user/jsho...tml?sort=3&o=3

I didnt recognize them without persimmons, but am stoked to see them there.

11 days. Hope.

Sorry the pic didnt work, i am on my phone.