Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 03-07-2018, 10:01 PM   #1
No-Tox
Four Point

Hunt In: Ellis County
Default Food plots and hogs

Is putting in food plots where wild hogs are around going to get eaten/torn up by the hogs before the deer get any benefit from it? Is there something that is good for deer that hogs won't touch?
Just trying to expand my resources for the deer but I do have pigs wondering around too. Just don't want to waste a bunch of money, time and energy for nothing.
No-Tox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2018, 10:14 PM   #2
TeamAmerica
Eight Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

Interested myself.
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2018, 10:16 PM   #3
acearrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nashoba, Ok

I don't know much about the food plot issue. Use to work alot with farmers and I had one tell me he switched over from winter wheat to oaks because the hogs wouldn't tear up the oat like they do winter wheat.
I have never had hogs tear up where I have planted clover, but then again, I never got my clover to come up very well either.
acearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2018, 10:38 PM   #4
BolilloLoco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County

You can fence the hogs out, if you just gotta have a plot.
Personally I would just build several feed pens with hog panels and start pouring protein pellets to them. Maybe some cottonseed after the rut. Good luck.
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2018, 09:05 AM   #5
yotethumper
Four Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

I have had good luck with wheat, oats, and clover. If you plant any type of bulb (radish, turnips, etc...) the hogs will destroy it. The small the seed the better. I would suggest wheat and clover.
yotethumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2018, 09:19 AM   #6
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

I grow plots on four different places. Probably 12/13 acres in all. The hog damage from rooting is negligible. I have one plot that the hogs do a little rooting in, and it's a clover plot, but it has some kind of nut grass in one end of it, and they are going for the roots on that grass. They have eaten my wheat more this year than ever before. Between them and the deer, the wheat plots looked like putting greens all winter long. Now that it's warming up, the wheat is growing again. If you plant any kind of grain, (wheat, oats, rye) as soon as the heads ripen they will be in there eating the seed heads. I don't let mine ripen because I'm ready to disc them under and plant spring/summer plots about the time wheat starts to head out. I plant soybeans and IC peas, some sunn hemp this year, and I've never had a hog problem in those crops. Good luck !

I guess every place is different, but I've planted brassicas and purple top turnips and neither the deer or the hogs ever touched them. I even pulled some out of the ground and they were untouched.

Last edited by Drycreek3189; 03-08-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2018, 10:00 AM   #7
JeffK
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotethumper View Post
I have had good luck with wheat, oats, and clover. If you plant any type of bulb (radish, turnips, etc...) the hogs will destroy it. The small the seed the better. I would suggest wheat and clover.
I have mixed radish and turnips in my plots for at least 5 years and haven't had hogs mess with the bulbs at all. And they are in the plots every night grazing on the oats. Even the cows don't eat on them when I turn them in to plot after season.

Hogs will root around after the seed when planted but after that, for the most part they don't root much in the plots. They like to graze on the oats.
JeffK is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2018, 10:12 AM   #8
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

I should add that I have had them (in one location) eat the seed right out of the ground. I can't plant corn, they will root it out and eat it. Beans and peas have to be planted at a greater rate and covered well. That's only in Trinity Co. that I've had them eat bean and pea seeds. My other places haven't proved to be a problem .....yet.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2018, 10:27 AM   #9
yotethumper
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffK View Post
I have mixed radish and turnips in my plots for at least 5 years and haven't had hogs mess with the bulbs at all. And they are in the plots every night grazing on the oats. Even the cows don't eat on them when I turn them in to plot after season.

Hogs will root around after the seed when planted but after that, for the most part they don't root much in the plots. They like to graze on the oats.
I wish I had your luck. I had a half acre plot with turnips destroyed in one night by hogs.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:52 PM   #10
No-Tox
Four Point

Hunt In: Ellis County

Looks like it just may be trial and error testing. I'll just take small steps in case the hogs decide they love to tear up the food plot. If so, I'll start looking at the cost of fencing off food plots. Putting up feeding pens with protein and corn is a problem because of all the darn raccoons. I have raccoon proofed the corn feeders but not sure how I would do that with protein feeders. I do have some interest in the cottonseed idea as they would leave it alone.
No-Tox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2018, 02:09 PM   #11
the marshall
Six Point

Hunt In: Tex-ok-la

Never really thought about it but I get very little to no hog / food plot damage.. plant soybeans in the spring and oats / clover in the fall. added turnips this past fall but nothing touched them ..

I fenced off my feeders 6 weeks ago so that have an impact on the food plot with the hogs.
the marshall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2018, 03:16 PM   #12
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
I wish I had your luck. I had a half acre plot with turnips destroyed in one night by hogs.
Also had turnips with alot of hogs and hogs never touched it.

I would venture to say something else was in the soil they wanted.
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2018, 08:01 AM   #13
gonehuntin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Freestone,Navarro,Llano

I get very little rooting in my food plots after they are seeded and cultipacked in. They will root around in the freshly tilled dirt if I don’t immediately get the seed in. I never get rooting after my plots start coming up, but they will root around the edges of the plots in the untilled dirt.
gonehuntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2018, 11:56 AM   #14
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonehuntin View Post
I get very little rooting in my food plots after they are seeded and cultipacked in. They will root around in the freshly tilled dirt if I donít immediately get the seed in. I never get rooting after my plots start coming up, but they will root around the edges of the plots in the untilled dirt.
My experience also. Just gotta hope they don't root for the seed before it comes up
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2018, 07:32 AM   #15
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson County

I dont think hogs have ate on my turnips but the deer have ate the heck out of them. I have seen them on trail cam pics with small turnips in their mouths.

Prolly corn would be the worst to plant as them hogs will go down the rows and root up the seeds.

You can plant Cowpeas and should not have a problem, but I can give you some info that might help. Pick out the area you are going to plant and spray with 5% Gly. Do not shred it before spraying! Why? Gly will not have an affect on Nut Grass if it has been mowed, the Gly must be absorbed through the stalks to get to the "nuts" in the dirt. Because if you have Nutgrass, wild onions or Johnson grass them dang hogs will root that plot up right quick.

Buy a night vision scope and hunt over your plot every couple weeks to keep the hogs scared, it will keep the activity down some. Also keep several extra bags of seed around, you will need it for over seeding when they do attack.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2018, 06:18 PM   #16
mdnabors
Ten Point

Hunt In: Weatherford & Kansas

Considering trying the Turner Spring Mix on 1-1.5acres this year and Hogs are my concern as well. But since cost isn't too bad for a couple bags I feel it's worth a shot to know. Will likely be adding another feeder pen as well...
mdnabors is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2018, 07:35 PM   #17
brokeno
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Fence your food plot with hog wire or horse wire. Run a barb wire on bottom A lot cheaper than panels.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2018, 11:36 AM   #18
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Canada

Good info here, this is my first attempt at a food plot in Texas, Kinney county no less. Will see how it goes. I give my seed a 20% chance of growing, lol. Rain chances in the forecast keep going down, .
Attached Images

Kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2018, 12:30 PM   #19
yotethumper
Four Point

There was a small amount of turnips in this clover and brassica blend. Planted to improve the soil organic matter content and nitrogen levels. Hogs hit it and we all know the rest. Anyways, that is why I will not plant turnips at my place anymore. 100 acres of oats and clover untouched but the second I plant turnips in a 1/2 acre staging area they wiped it out.
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2018, 12:50 PM   #20
Junogwat
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Looking

Hogs did that? Wow they really tore up your set up. I’m from the Houston area, and I am just getting around hunts I heard the hogs are damaging lands and food plots. But I have never seen what kind of damage they do.
Junogwat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2018, 12:57 PM   #21
yotethumper
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junogwat View Post
Hogs did that? Wow they really tore up your set up. Iím from the Houston area, and I am just getting around hunts I heard the hogs are damaging lands and food plots. But I have never seen what kind of damage they do.
Yup, they root up fields in a hurry. Hogs cost Texas $52 million in ag damage a year. Even with traps and night vision we cant keep the numbers down.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:12 PM   #22
Junogwat
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Looking

Well if you need some help. I’ll be more than glad to take some home for groceries.
Junogwat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2018, 02:05 PM   #23
Big pig
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeno View Post
Fence your food plot with hog wire or horse wire. Run a barb wire on bottom A lot cheaper than panels.
It is a lot of work. But the results of no hogs rooting grazing or flushing deer out of your plots is worth it.

Three years later , no pigs in the plot and about 12 deer visit it daily. Sped allot of time there browsing or bedding.
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2018, 06:27 AM   #24
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson County

Name:  root.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  111.0 KB

Name:  root1.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  131.0 KB

Here is some hog damage, they were after Nut Grass. I have seven acres of plots in different places and of different sizes. Fencing would work, but for me it would have to be electric. The problem with electric is the constant maintenance it would require. I know my neighbors are using electric fence, and they spend two days a week working on the fence.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2018, 09:20 AM   #25
Big pig
Ten Point

I avoided electric for the maintenance reason.
But since I own the property, I viewed my two fenced
plot as big improvements for the place.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:35 PM   #26
yotethumper
Four Point

What was your cost to fence in your plots? I forgot how expensive hog panels are until I started looking into into it. For one of my small small plots I am looking at 600 feet of hog panel. If I throw in a T post every 6 feet I am looking at 100 T posts.

Redwire: $320 for wire. $400 for posts.

$720 for a small plot. OUCH!
Old 03-13-2018, 01:07 PM   #27
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

Quote:
What was your cost to fence in your plots? I forgot how expensive hog panels are until I started looking into into it. For one of my small small plots I am looking at 600 feet of hog panel. If I throw in a T post every 6 feet I am looking at 100 T posts.

Redwire: $320 for wire. $400 for posts.

$720 for a small plot. OUCH!
Iím glad we donít have hogs! I just did the math on fencing my plots using your estimate and came up with $9,100 to do mine at the house.

I like to deer hunt, but thereís not a buck out there worth that kind of money to me!
Razrbk89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2018, 03:37 PM   #28
Big pig
Ten Point

I spent more counting corner posts and H frame posts, Staples, barbed wire, and cattle panel for gate.
But look how many years it will last. Spending money and time on a plot makes me try to protect it worse.
It ain’t about killing the deer, it’s about improving the habitat and allowing me to manage the deer better.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:47 PM   #29
Ironman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razrbk89 View Post
Iím glad we donít have hogs! I just did the math on fencing my plots using your estimate and came up with $9,100 to do mine at the house.

I like to deer hunt, but thereís not a buck out there worth that kind of money to me!
No hogs? Well that's embarrassing! Woooooooo.Pig.Sooie!
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2018, 03:49 PM   #30
Carpe_diem
Eight Point

Hunt In: Taylor, Fisher, Jones Counties and TPW draw hunts

We have lots of hogs and lots of food plots, no problem.
I always wait to plant until just before a good rain is forecast. Otherwise the dang turkeys will eat the wheat and oat seeds.
Last year we were wiped out by army worms and had to replant everything.
Carpe_diem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2018, 06:47 PM   #31
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
No hogs? Well that's embarrassing! Woooooooo.Pig.Sooie!
Not where I live luckily, ha! There are some to our west/south a county or two over, but they get beat down pretty bad. Theyíre the ďrazorbacksĒ of lore (I guess) that have been there for as long as anyone remembers.
Razrbk89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2018, 04:12 AM   #32
Donut Operator
Spike

Hunt In: Mclennan County

Hogs here tear it all up. Gotta do some pig huntin
Donut Operator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top