No announcement yet.

mud bugs boiled in clean unseasoned water = the best

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the recipe if you're not doing that much; let's say for a family of 4?

Comment

Also keeps from corroded those expensive aluminum boil pots. I've seen crab boil eat right through the side of one of those things!

Comment

This is what the water looks like after a clean water boil.

And the slurry is doing its thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
          Ok I'm interested.....where they too salty? I've had some crawfish that were soaked in heavily seasoned liquid (not exactly like that) and they sucked in way too much salt. I'm talking about way too much salt and this is coming from a guy who puts Tony's or Zatarain's on everything I eat.lol

I'm interested in trying that, it sounds really good.
          ---
          fyi...Tony's Chachere's is merely overpriced salt. Look on their label, it says "use as salt". Another misconception using a seasoning mix is that most or all the granules are red. So, you thought you are turning on the heat by adding the seasoning. However, the season packers use red salt, so you could have just been turning up the salt. I would just steer clear of Tony's.

I heard that adding potatoes can pull salt out of the water. I have not tried, but at that point you've got nothing to lose.

Comment

I did this method last year, except I steamed them before the seasoned bath. The steam water had to be changed a lot because it would get so nasty. I rinsed the crawdad's several times prior to steaming. I would have a hard time eating crawfish done the traditional way after experiencing that. I think that is how the traditional way came about. All the seasoning added would cover up all the stench and nasty stuff left behind in the water.

Comment

It's all about the soak. The longer they soak the spicier and better they will be. 20 minutes is for women and Yankees. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesl View Post
                I did this method last year, except I steamed them before the seasoned bath. The steam water had to be changed a lot because it would get so nasty. I rinsed the crawdad's several times prior to steaming. I would have a hard time eating crawfish done the traditional way after experiencing that. I think that is how the traditional way came about. All the seasoning added would cover up all the stench and nasty stuff left behind in the water.

I totally agree. We started using this method a couple of years ago and when we saw what the water looked like after steaming them we were shocked.
                I really like this method. IMO it works so much better....especially when doing multiple boils. The slurry just seems to soak up so much more of the flavor.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesl View Post
                  Check out smoky ribs you tube, he does the steam method with the frogbone seasoning, the guy with frogbone has a video as well, makes the most sense to me.

Comment

tag

Comment

do you bowl the crawfish slurry first and then cool it down or just mix it in the water?

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech Shooter View Post
                        do you bowl the crawfish slurry first and then cool it down or just mix it in the water?

I’m assuming you mean boil? We use hot water and the seasoning. No need to boil the slurry.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech Shooter View Post
                          You bring the slurry or soak up to 140-145, after boiling the crawfish for approx 5 min you drain and drop them in the slurry for 20-30 min, they will suck all the seasoning into them and will not continue to cook.

Comment

sorry,
                            meant boil. So you just can use warm water for the slurry. I didn't know if it had to boil and then sit long enough to cool back to room temp.

Comment

Frog Bone's first year at the Crawfish Cook-Off For Hospice in Slidell, Louisiana. If you want to learn how to cook crawfish with our secret method, then yo...

Comment

Can anyone that has done this for 1 sack of crawfish tell me how much Kayan and how much liquid boil they used? In the video he puts a lot and that seems like way to much for just 1 sack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X