Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2018, 09:48 AM   #2001
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

What are you planting this summer? I got oats, wheat, chicory, and winter peas still standing. And want to grain drill a summer seed. Maybe a cowpea or lablab?

Also what do I need to spray prior to kill weeds? Can I spray anything that won't kill my current plot but will kill weeds. I want to keep my current plot up as cover for my new seed/plant
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2018, 09:17 AM   #2002
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Unclefish keep this thread going we all love it

I have a tall stand of peas/wheat/oats now and want to grain drill lablab and I/C peas into it. What can I spray to kill weeds that are coming up now that won't kill my winter plot?

My thinking is I will keep my current plot as cover for my summer plot to establish and just grain drill into it. Am I thinking correct on that?
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2018, 09:58 AM   #2003
unclefish
Pope & Young
 
unclefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Elk in CO....Deer in Lyons, TX
Default

Sorry that I've let this thread wilt on the vine for several months. I'm both happy and sad to report that I'm selling my place. We close next week on it.

I've had ALOT of fun of there with hunting, food plots, cutting firewood, getting stuck , and other adventures. Its the right time to sell it and its on to new adventures. I think I will try and find a lease for a year or two and then try to buy a bigger place.

Please keep this thread going and active to post any ideas, successes, failures, so we can all keep learning!
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2018, 10:05 AM   #2004
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young
 
SFAbowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melissa, Texas
Hunt In: Choctaw Co. OK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefish View Post
Sorry that I've let this thread wilt on the vine for several months. I'm both happy and sad to report that I'm selling my place. We close next week on it.

I've had ALOT of fun of there with hunting, food plots, cutting firewood, getting stuck , and other adventures. Its the right time to sell it and its on to new adventures. I think I will try and find a lease for a year or two and then try to buy a bigger place.

Please keep this thread going and active to post any ideas, successes, failures, so we can all keep learning!
Man, hate to hear that! Can't wait to see what your next place will be like! My wife and I are currently looking to purchase some land...hoping I can start a thread like yours one day. Good luck on the next adventure!
SFAbowhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2018, 10:39 AM   #2005
jshouse
Pope & Young
 
jshouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rockwall
Hunt In: NE Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefish View Post
Sorry that I've let this thread wilt on the vine for several months. I'm both happy and sad to report that I'm selling my place. We close next week on it.

I've had ALOT of fun of there with hunting, food plots, cutting firewood, getting stuck , and other adventures. Its the right time to sell it and its on to new adventures. I think I will try and find a lease for a year or two and then try to buy a bigger place.

Please keep this thread going and active to post any ideas, successes, failures, so we can all keep learning!
good luck sir, hope you find a good lease and then the right place to buy
jshouse is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2018, 01:18 PM   #2006
Backwoods101
Pope & Young
 
Backwoods101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Needville
Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie
Default

On to bigger better things my friend! Congrats on the sale


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Backwoods101 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2018, 02:45 PM   #2007
tmstuk
Eight Point
 
tmstuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Katy TX
Hunt In: Milam County
Default

Good luck on your lease and I hope you find another place sooner rather than later!
Man Iíve learned a lot from this thread and agree it should keep going.
I planted clover with oats and peas in the fall but the deer are keeping it mowed down. I think I will fertilize and see if the clover comes up better.
tmstuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2018, 09:21 PM   #2008
elgato
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default

Best for all always to you. Have enjoyed the thread and your adventures and experiments. Keep us in the loop with your comings and goings.
elgato is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2018, 11:33 AM   #2009
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Awesome! Sad but also will find a bigger and better place I bet

Elgato and Unclefish: Any suggestions on my summer plot idea?
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2018, 11:43 AM   #2010
elgato
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Awesome! Sad but also will find a bigger and better place I bet

Elgato and Unclefish: Any suggestions on my summer plot idea?
What is your summer plot idea?

I'm going with either straight soybeans in some fields and cowpea/sunn hemp blends in other fields. depends on what I'm trying to accomplish with the soil in the particular field.
elgato is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2018, 11:48 AM   #2011
elgato
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Unclefish keep this thread going we all love it

I have a tall stand of peas/wheat/oats now and want to grain drill lablab and I/C peas into it. What can I spray to kill weeds that are coming up now that won't kill my winter plot?

My thinking is I will keep my current plot as cover for my summer plot to establish and just grain drill into it. Am I thinking correct on that?
This?

I don't know what you can spray because you have both grasses and broad leaf. You can burn down the whole crop, or mow, when you get ready to replant. But I wouldn't worry too much about winter weeds. I'll be curious how lab lab does for you. I don't think its worth the cost as cowpeas and soy beans just as good. I'd also consider something for the plants to trellis...sunflower, milo[ problem there is you limit herbicide options ] sunn hemp or the like.
elgato is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2018, 12:13 PM   #2012
BaseKAM36
Four Point
 
BaseKAM36's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Austin
Hunt In: central Texas
Default

whats the best food plot in central Texas? I planted wheat this year deer loved it but I want to plant a mixture of stuff next year whats the best stuff to get? I get all my seed at the local feed store.

Thanks
BaseKAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2018, 12:45 PM   #2013
unclefish
Pope & Young
 
unclefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Elk in CO....Deer in Lyons, TX
Default

Thanks for the well wishes. Hopefully we will find something soon.

As far as food plots for spring/summer I haven't heard of anything "new" in quite a while. El gato, Drycreek, and many others, grow some unbelievable summer plots with cowpeas and or soybeans. LabLab is expensive and I don't know how much more effective it would be than the proven summer food plot legumes like peas/beans.

BaseKam36 - are these for the fall plots? Any cereal grain like wheat, rye, oats will work great with clover and chicory. Plant all in the fall and they will last until late spring/early summer.

When I get another place I'm going to seriously look into growing alfalfa. Even though it requires close to neutral pH soil, I've read some older articles of how it was one of the best performing cash crops in East Tx of all places. They had good sandy loam soils deep down, amended the soil to raise the pH, added things like boron and other required elements and it grew and grew well on certain sites.

Seems like it would be very close to be a year round crop here depending on variety.

https://today.agrilife.org/2004/12/2...e-for-alfalfa/
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2018, 12:59 PM   #2014
BaseKAM36
Four Point
 
BaseKAM36's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Austin
Hunt In: central Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefish View Post
Thanks for the well wishes. Hopefully we will find something soon.

As far as food plots for spring/summer I haven't heard of anything "new" in quite a while. El gato, Drycreek, and many others, grow some unbelievable summer plots with cowpeas and or soybeans. LabLab is expensive and I don't know how much more effective it would be than the proven summer food plot legumes like peas/beans.

BaseKam36 - are these for the fall plots? Any cereal grain like wheat, rye, oats will work great with clover and chicory. Plant all in the fall and they will last until late spring/early summer.

When I get another place I'm going to seriously look into growing alfalfa. Even though it requires close to neutral pH soil, I've read some older articles of how it was one of the best performing cash crops in East Tx of all places. They had good sandy loam soils deep down, amended the soil to raise the pH, added things like boron and other required elements and it grew and grew well on certain sites.

Seems like it would be very close to be a year round crop here depending on variety.

https://today.agrilife.org/2004/12/2...e-for-alfalfa/

yes sir all for food plots. what kind of oats? I plan on planting red leaf but want to mix it with oats.

I also heard turnips work great for a mixer.
BaseKAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2018, 10:00 PM   #2015
unclefish
Pope & Young
 
unclefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Elk in CO....Deer in Lyons, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseKAM36 View Post
yes sir all for food plots. what kind of oats? I plan on planting red leaf but want to mix it with oats.

I also heard turnips work great for a mixer.
I have used Harrison Oats mainly and the deer liked it. Elbon Rye is my favorite cereal grain...lots of benefits that have been discussed on this thread many times and well as El Gato's great thread. The deer will eat any of cereal grain especially if fertilize it.

I had not had luck with turnips at all. Planted it twice and the deer never touched them.

My theory on food plots is to plant them in the same location(s) every year so the deer get used to associated that area with food. I like experimenting but I also like to stick with something if it works too. For me my mainstay is Elbon Rye, Oats, White Clover, and Chicory for fall plots.
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2018, 08:42 AM   #2016
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato View Post
This?

I don't know what you can spray because you have both grasses and broad leaf. You can burn down the whole crop, or mow, when you get ready to replant. But I wouldn't worry too much about winter weeds. I'll be curious how lab lab does for you. I don't think its worth the cost as cowpeas and soy beans just as good. I'd also consider something for the plants to trellis...sunflower, milo[ problem there is you limit herbicide options ] sunn hemp or the like.
So Maybe I will grain drill the peas and then shread the winter plot.
I planted lablab 5-6 years ago half arse and I would say 30-40% of it came up and the deer crushed it.

I was just messing around and didn't do it good at all. What came up took off and did awesome in my sandy soil. Deer ate it down to the stem. The lablab got I would say 3 feet tall and all was left was stems haha
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2018, 11:58 AM   #2017
BaseKAM36
Four Point
 
BaseKAM36's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Austin
Hunt In: central Texas
Default

awesome thanks. what are the best types of oats?
BaseKAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2018, 10:56 AM   #2018
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseKAM36 View Post
awesome thanks. what are the best types of oats?
I use plain seed oats. Bob oats are slightly better but not worth the huge price jump

They are a winter plot
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 11:09 PM   #2019
Greenheadless
Ten Point
 
Greenheadless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Hunt In: Liberty County
Default

Read up thru page 11 and this will be my book mark.

This is a great thread, thanks for starting it!
Greenheadless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 11:25 AM   #2020
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

whats on the fall food plot list this year?

I really enjoy this thread, hopefully you will keep it going
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 03:24 PM   #2021
unclefish
Pope & Young
 
unclefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Elk in CO....Deer in Lyons, TX
Default

Well since I sold my place in Jan... I will hunt our small homestead place (45 acres) in Washington County this year.

Planted plots for my dad on this place the last few years. Gonna be the usual....elbon rye, white clover, chicory. Its got way different soils than my place in Burleson County had so gonna do a soil test and then fertilize the helloutofit.

Its been terribly dry there so hopefully we get wet in Sept. Nothing special on camera small bucks and lots of does. This place is not a bedding location and way more open than my old place. The deer travel a long ways on this place but its got a good creek. Some bigger deer live here...dad shot a 140 ten pt several years back and my bro shot a 135 8pt 2 years ago.

Been feeding a roasted soybean/corn mix out of a protein feeder all summer and they are destroying it.

Going elk hunting in NM in Sept so first things first! Fired up about that and will do a live hunt thread for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 08:57 PM   #2022
jbhlsu
Six Point
 
jbhlsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Woodlands
Hunt In: Buffalo, Ozona
Default

Whats up Steve. Best of luck on your elk hunt. Definitely missing the farm posts but everybody moves on. Yes its dry and especially in leon county too. Never heard but did you get your tractor going after the flood? Did you sell it with the property? I will say they are tearing up the feed.
jbhlsu is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 09:57 PM   #2023
unclefish
Pope & Young
 
unclefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Elk in CO....Deer in Lyons, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhlsu View Post
Whats up Steve. Best of luck on your elk hunt. Definitely missing the farm posts but everybody moves on. Yes its dry and especially in leon county too. Never heard but did you get your tractor going after the flood? Did you sell it with the property? I will say they are tearing up the feed.
Thanks Joe. Ended up selling it for scrap and parts with a dealer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 12:45 PM   #2024
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Dang......j/w but why did you sell it?

You put alot of time/money into that place. I can't imagine selling my land I hunt on that I have done likewise too
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 02:57 PM   #2025
unclefish
Pope & Young
 
unclefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Elk in CO....Deer in Lyons, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Dang......j/w but why did you sell it?

You put alot of time/money into that place. I can't imagine selling my land I hunt on that I have done likewise too
It was almost entirely flood plain and we were never gonna put a house or camp on it.

I got a good offer from my neighbor and the time was right. We had it on a 20 year note and for the monthly payments I was paying...I could have gotten on an awesome lease and also go on a good elk hunt every year. Also it was too small....you could hear the neighbors alot...and that's the one thing that convinced me to sell it. But the deer hunting was fantastic.

Next place will be bigger/better.
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2018, 03:46 PM   #2026
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefish View Post
It was almost entirely flood plain and we were never gonna put a house or camp on it.

I got a good offer from my neighbor and the time was right. We had it on a 20 year note and for the monthly payments I was paying...I could have gotten on an awesome lease and also go on a good elk hunt every year. Also it was too small....you could hear the neighbors alot...and that's the one thing that convinced me to sell it. But the deer hunting was fantastic.

Next place will be bigger/better.
I totally understand!!!!

I can't wait for the next UNCLEFISH thread
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2018, 05:09 PM   #2027
unclefish
Pope & Young
 
unclefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Elk in CO....Deer in Lyons, TX
Default

Planted oats and kale today at the homestead place in Washington County. Weeds were 2-3 feet tall but I was pressed for time to get it in before the rain hit.

Didn't spray it.... Didn't mow it. I just starting discing until I had a decent seed bed and slung some seed. Quick and easy and the rain hit literally as I ran out of seed. Had around an inch of hard rain.

Got one decent buck on camera that showed up 3 days ago. Set up a popup blind before I left so I have a south wind blind to bow hunt.



Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2018, 05:21 PM   #2028
Backwoods101
Pope & Young
 
Backwoods101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Needville
Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie
Default

Decent indeed, good luck!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Backwoods101 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2018, 05:23 PM   #2029
tmstuk
Eight Point
 
tmstuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Katy TX
Hunt In: Milam County
Default

I count 11 points!
Good luck.
You hunting Saturday?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tmstuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2018, 06:10 PM   #2030
unclefish
Pope & Young
 
unclefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Elk in CO....Deer in Lyons, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods101 View Post
Decent indeed, good luck!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmstuk View Post
I count 11 points!
Good luck.
You hunting Saturday?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd give it an 80% chance of yes.
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com