Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 02-22-2018, 09:48 AM   #2001
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

What are you planting this summer? I got oats, wheat, chicory, and winter peas still standing. And want to grain drill a summer seed. Maybe a cowpea or lablab?

Also what do I need to spray prior to kill weeds? Can I spray anything that won't kill my current plot but will kill weeds. I want to keep my current plot up as cover for my new seed/plant
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2018, 09:17 AM   #2002
gingib
Pope & Young

Unclefish keep this thread going we all love it

I have a tall stand of peas/wheat/oats now and want to grain drill lablab and I/C peas into it. What can I spray to kill weeds that are coming up now that won't kill my winter plot?

My thinking is I will keep my current plot as cover for my summer plot to establish and just grain drill into it. Am I thinking correct on that?
Old 02-28-2018, 09:58 AM   #2003
unclefish
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Elk in CO....Deer in Lyons, TX

Sorry that I've let this thread wilt on the vine for several months. I'm both happy and sad to report that I'm selling my place. We close next week on it.

I've had ALOT of fun of there with hunting, food plots, cutting firewood, getting stuck , and other adventures. Its the right time to sell it and its on to new adventures. I think I will try and find a lease for a year or two and then try to buy a bigger place.

Please keep this thread going and active to post any ideas, successes, failures, so we can all keep learning!
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2018, 10:05 AM   #2004
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefish View Post
Sorry that I've let this thread wilt on the vine for several months. I'm both happy and sad to report that I'm selling my place. We close next week on it.

I've had ALOT of fun of there with hunting, food plots, cutting firewood, getting stuck , and other adventures. Its the right time to sell it and its on to new adventures. I think I will try and find a lease for a year or two and then try to buy a bigger place.

Please keep this thread going and active to post any ideas, successes, failures, so we can all keep learning!
Man, hate to hear that! Can't wait to see what your next place will be like! My wife and I are currently looking to purchase some land...hoping I can start a thread like yours one day. Good luck on the next adventure!
SFAbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2018, 10:39 AM   #2005
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:

good luck sir, hope you find a good lease and then the right place to buy
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2018, 01:18 PM   #2006
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie

On to bigger better things my friend! Congrats on the sale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2018, 02:45 PM   #2007
tmstuk
Eight Point

Hunt In: Milam County

Good luck on your lease and I hope you find another place sooner rather than later!
Man Iíve learned a lot from this thread and agree it should keep going.
I planted clover with oats and peas in the fall but the deer are keeping it mowed down. I think I will fertilize and see if the clover comes up better.
tmstuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2018, 09:21 PM   #2008
elgato
Ten Point

Best for all always to you. Have enjoyed the thread and your adventures and experiments. Keep us in the loop with your comings and goings.
elgato is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2018, 11:33 AM   #2009
gingib
Pope & Young

Awesome! Sad but also will find a bigger and better place I bet

Elgato and Unclefish: Any suggestions on my summer plot idea?
Old 03-01-2018, 11:43 AM   #2010
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Awesome! Sad but also will find a bigger and better place I bet

Elgato and Unclefish: Any suggestions on my summer plot idea?
What is your summer plot idea?

I'm going with either straight soybeans in some fields and cowpea/sunn hemp blends in other fields. depends on what I'm trying to accomplish with the soil in the particular field.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:48 AM   #2011
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Unclefish keep this thread going we all love it

I have a tall stand of peas/wheat/oats now and want to grain drill lablab and I/C peas into it. What can I spray to kill weeds that are coming up now that won't kill my winter plot?

My thinking is I will keep my current plot as cover for my summer plot to establish and just grain drill into it. Am I thinking correct on that?
This?

I don't know what you can spray because you have both grasses and broad leaf. You can burn down the whole crop, or mow, when you get ready to replant. But I wouldn't worry too much about winter weeds. I'll be curious how lab lab does for you. I don't think its worth the cost as cowpeas and soy beans just as good. I'd also consider something for the plants to trellis...sunflower, milo[ problem there is you limit herbicide options ] sunn hemp or the like.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:13 PM   #2012
BaseKAM36
Four Point

Hunt In: central Texas

whats the best food plot in central Texas? I planted wheat this year deer loved it but I want to plant a mixture of stuff next year whats the best stuff to get? I get all my seed at the local feed store.

Thanks
BaseKAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2018, 12:45 PM   #2013
unclefish
Pope & Young

Thanks for the well wishes. Hopefully we will find something soon.

As far as food plots for spring/summer I haven't heard of anything "new" in quite a while. El gato, Drycreek, and many others, grow some unbelievable summer plots with cowpeas and or soybeans. LabLab is expensive and I don't know how much more effective it would be than the proven summer food plot legumes like peas/beans.

BaseKam36 - are these for the fall plots? Any cereal grain like wheat, rye, oats will work great with clover and chicory. Plant all in the fall and they will last until late spring/early summer.

When I get another place I'm going to seriously look into growing alfalfa. Even though it requires close to neutral pH soil, I've read some older articles of how it was one of the best performing cash crops in East Tx of all places. They had good sandy loam soils deep down, amended the soil to raise the pH, added things like boron and other required elements and it grew and grew well on certain sites.

Seems like it would be very close to be a year round crop here depending on variety.

https://today.agrilife.org/2004/12/2...e-for-alfalfa/
Old 03-01-2018, 12:59 PM   #2014
BaseKAM36
Four Point

Quote:
Thanks for the well wishes. Hopefully we will find something soon.

As far as food plots for spring/summer I haven't heard of anything "new" in quite a while. El gato, Drycreek, and many others, grow some unbelievable summer plots with cowpeas and or soybeans. LabLab is expensive and I don't know how much more effective it would be than the proven summer food plot legumes like peas/beans.

BaseKam36 - are these for the fall plots? Any cereal grain like wheat, rye, oats will work great with clover and chicory. Plant all in the fall and they will last until late spring/early summer.

When I get another place I'm going to seriously look into growing alfalfa. Even though it requires close to neutral pH soil, I've read some older articles of how it was one of the best performing cash crops in East Tx of all places. They had good sandy loam soils deep down, amended the soil to raise the pH, added things like boron and other required elements and it grew and grew well on certain sites.

Seems like it would be very close to be a year round crop here depending on variety.

https://today.agrilife.org/2004/12/2...e-for-alfalfa/

yes sir all for food plots. what kind of oats? I plan on planting red leaf but want to mix it with oats.

I also heard turnips work great for a mixer.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:00 PM   #2015
unclefish
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseKAM36 View Post
yes sir all for food plots. what kind of oats? I plan on planting red leaf but want to mix it with oats.

I also heard turnips work great for a mixer.
I have used Harrison Oats mainly and the deer liked it. Elbon Rye is my favorite cereal grain...lots of benefits that have been discussed on this thread many times and well as El Gato's great thread. The deer will eat any of cereal grain especially if fertilize it.

I had not had luck with turnips at all. Planted it twice and the deer never touched them.

My theory on food plots is to plant them in the same location(s) every year so the deer get used to associated that area with food. I like experimenting but I also like to stick with something if it works too. For me my mainstay is Elbon Rye, Oats, White Clover, and Chicory for fall plots.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:42 AM   #2016
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato View Post
This?

I don't know what you can spray because you have both grasses and broad leaf. You can burn down the whole crop, or mow, when you get ready to replant. But I wouldn't worry too much about winter weeds. I'll be curious how lab lab does for you. I don't think its worth the cost as cowpeas and soy beans just as good. I'd also consider something for the plants to trellis...sunflower, milo[ problem there is you limit herbicide options ] sunn hemp or the like.
So Maybe I will grain drill the peas and then shread the winter plot.
I planted lablab 5-6 years ago half arse and I would say 30-40% of it came up and the deer crushed it.

I was just messing around and didn't do it good at all. What came up took off and did awesome in my sandy soil. Deer ate it down to the stem. The lablab got I would say 3 feet tall and all was left was stems haha
Old 03-02-2018, 11:58 AM   #2017
BaseKAM36
Four Point

awesome thanks. what are the best types of oats?
Old 03-05-2018, 10:56 AM   #2018
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseKAM36 View Post
awesome thanks. what are the best types of oats?
I use plain seed oats. Bob oats are slightly better but not worth the huge price jump

They are a winter plot