Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 02-20-2018, 10:19 PM   #1
James
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney County, SE Kansas and Out West
Default Letís talk deer minerals

How many add minerals to their feed pens? What do you add? Home made? Premixed and sold? How do your deer take to it compared to your other supplement feeds?

I hunt a ranch in Kinney County that has lots of the same browse, grass and Forbes as the magical golden triangle brushes. I know we do not share the exact same but we share a lot. The big difference is ours grows on nasty rock country instead of that rich dark red soil.

How much different is the protein and mineral content consumed in brush over nasty Kinney rock county then the same brush consumed over lasalle, maverick, dimmit pretty dark soil county?

We are feeding tons of supplement feeds, my deer are very spoiled with cotton seed, protein and corn year round along with the occasional alfalfa and rice bran. My question is could i add minerals to all my feed stations to try and balance out some of the nutrients they are lacking in rock country that they would get in the rich dark red soil country?

We have produced and harvested great deer for Kinney county but is there more we could do from a mineral aspect? Curious to hear your opinions and what yíall are doing with minerals.

Pretty good article posted here...

http://higginsoutdoors.com/do-deer-m...s-really-work/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
James is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2018, 07:40 AM   #2
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

I have tried so many minerals and NO luck....homemade to bagged to blocks to salt licks
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2018, 07:45 AM   #3
deerwatcher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Richland Springs & Washington on the Brazos

I put out "Trophy Rock". They don't hammer it, but do apparently use it from time to time. Does it do any good? Who knows, but it does make me feel that I am doing all I can to help them along.
deerwatcher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2018, 04:29 PM   #4
Txhuntr2
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kinney County

I think it depends on the area whether they need supplemental minerals.

We put out some trophy rocks out in Val Verde and the deer chewed them up. I'm definitely going to try them on my new place down south. I also watched a young buck chew on a piece of a shed antler all morning last October. He kept crunching on it and I walked over after the hunt and was really surprised to find that's what it was.
Txhuntr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2018, 04:38 PM   #5
Hoytbowhunter
Ten Point

I use lucky buck here last year, dug two holes mix it in the soil and buried it, they dug it up and ate it all dirty and all. We use it up north all the time when I'm hunting up there. They'll find it within a day.
Hoytbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2018, 10:59 PM   #6
deerdynasty
Four Point

buy cheap salt mineral licks at coop. thats all u need...
deerdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2018, 09:57 PM   #7
brianlg31
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pandale

I put out a salt block and mineral block from either tractor supply or M&G Feed store about twice a year. There is always a deer licking on them.
brianlg31 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 11:27 AM   #8
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dryden & Hallettsville, TX

I put a bag of Record Rack Mineral mixed with mineralized salt under where my directional feeder throws corn. Forces the deer to get exposed to it as they eat the corn. I also use Trophy Rocks and they are shiny and slick and last about 6 months so I know the deer are getting the mineral.
TXBRASS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 10:50 PM   #9
BolilloLoco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County

Get a biologist involved. Start collecting fecal samples and have them analyzed to determine any mineral deficiencies. That way you’re not guessing and wasting your time/money.
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2018, 02:07 PM   #10
Deadeye Mex
Four Point

Hunt In: Mexico

We did the fecal sample analization with Texas A & M a few years back on a South Texas ranch. We found out that all the samples analized were significantly difficient in Phosphorus, which does attribute to a percentage of horn growth. So we starting supplimenting with Phosphorus and improved.
Deadeye Mex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2018, 02:09 PM   #11
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dryden & Hallettsville, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye Mex View Post
We did the fecal sample analization with Texas A & M a few years back on a South Texas ranch. We found out that all the samples analized were significantly difficient in Phosphorus, which does attribute to a percentage of horn growth. So we starting supplimenting with Phosphorus and improved.

Was this added into feed or placed in a mineral lick/hole?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TXBRASS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2018, 02:11 PM   #12
Mike Fangman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ranger & Granbury

I use the trace mineral blocks from TSC, I put a new, fresh one out every spring. Not sure how much it helps, but they do use it.
Mike Fangman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2018, 02:32 PM   #13
James
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney County, SE Kansas and Out West

Good responses. I’ve never had lots of luck with mineral blocks, which is why I’ve considered directly mixing minerals into my cotton seed to balance the lack of phosphorus.

For those that did samples, was it mainly a lack of phosphorus? Can you overdue it? Very interesting to me
James is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2018, 03:00 PM   #14
Deadeye Mex
Four Point

Hunt In: Mexico

For the Posphorus, we dug a 2-3' long trench about 6" deep under the corn feeders. We poured a granual Calcium/Phosphorus suppliment in the trench and they licked it up. Just topped it off every now and then. After a year of that it raised the analisys to normal range.
Deadeye Mex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2018, 05:42 PM   #15
EastTexasTiger
Four Point

get the 40 lb bag of trophy rock. poured it on a stump at my lease and they tore it up, dug around stump when it was gone
EastTexasTiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top