Drawing Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mjjust View Post
    Went last year on a management hunt with son and FIL. Here is live hunt thread from last year: Going live at Mason Mountain WMA

First tip is to call now and reserve a room at the lodge. It’s free but is first come first served. Most of the rooms can hold a group of four. Thread has a few pics of the lodge. They also have a very nice shooting range right behind the lodge if you need it. Have concrete tables and lead sleds.

You will love the place. One of my favorite hunts ever even though I didn’t get anything. I’m putting in for that place every year now on.

Same here, lodge is top notch. Personnel there are very helpful and nice. I've been at least 3 times there, always lots of game. Been to 2 management hunts, the last one it rained continuously for 3 days but still saw LOTS of game, plenty of deer too but antler restriction was just too tight for the deer I saw(5-points or less). I was seeing everything 6 pts and above, some really nice ones too! You'll enjoy watching the exotics as well. I apply for that hunt every time I can.

Comment

I currently have 2 'pending 2nd draws', what is the timeline for these happening after the 1st draw? I was drawn for one already that may conflict with one of these and permit deadline.

Comment

My daughter drew the youth hunt for Inks Lake, and I pulled the Balcones tag for Dec 6-8 if anyone else has those same dates.

Comment

My son never drew on a youth hunt. We did several over the years on standby but never drawn. The really crappy part is the points from the youth categories Do NOT carry over to the adult ones so he started over on points. I suggest you enter him on at least one adult hunt in each category along with your entries so that he will gather points. It’s free for youth to enter so no loss even if he can’t go on the hunt if you actually get drawn.

That's a really good idea. I will do that from now on and appreciate the info.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
            Same here, lodge is top notch. Personnel there are very helpful and nice. I've been at least 3 times there, always lots of game. Been to 2 management hunts, the last one it rained continuously for 3 days but still saw LOTS of game, plenty of deer too but antler restriction was just too tight for the deer I saw(5-points or less). I was seeing everything 6 pts and above, some really nice ones too! You'll enjoy watching the exotics as well. I apply for that hunt every time I can.

Same here for Mason Mountain. I drew a mgt hunt and got a spike and this 5 yr old stag, F/D 120. Great place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Went last year on a management hunt with son and FIL. Here is live hunt thread from last year: Going live at Mason Mountain WMA

First tip is to call now and reserve a room at the lodge. It’s free but is first come first served. Most of the rooms can hold a group of four. Thread has a few pics of the lodge. They also have a very nice shooting range right behind the lodge if you need it. Have concrete tables and lead sleds.

You will love the place. One of my favorite hunts ever even though I didn’t get anything. I’m putting in for that place every year now on.
              I got a room booked and I checked out your link. Sounds like it was a blast. This is a really quick hunt, but I think he'll enjoy seeing some new terrain.

I made an aerial for him this morning with the compartments overlayed based on a little research.

Mason Mountain WMA by Chad Crawford, on Flickr

You can zoom in really close while looking at it on the iphone and it's extremely clear. Maybe it will be nice to have on the hunt.

Comment

I was wondering if anyone has hunted Keechi creek before? I was drawn for the Oct 11 date and don’t know much about the area, wanted to get a little insight!

Comment

For Archery, I got Laguna for Oct 25-29
                  Also got Gun Deer Management for James Daughtrey WMA in Dec
                  Going to be a lot of fun

Comment

I currently have 2 'pending 2nd draws', what is the timeline for these happening after the 1st draw? I was drawn for one already that may conflict with one of these and permit deadline.

Deadline for accepting permit if drawn is 9/25 so likely 2nd draw is 9/26.

Comment

Originally posted by Jomanji View Post
                      I was wondering if anyone has hunted Keechi creek before? I was drawn for the Oct 11 date and don’t know much about the area, wanted to get a little insight!
                      Been there twice. A climber or lock on is what you need. Pretty much creek bottom, which is what I'm used to hunting. Find the right acorn trees, you'll find the deer. Or hogs!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jomanji View Post
                        I squirrel hunted there last year and it's some beautiful woods! Should be a good hunt. I saw plenty of sign chasing the tree rats!

Comment

Appreciate it! What kind of deer are out there? Not that it matters, any time I get a chance to hit the woods is a blessing, just wanted to know what I should hold out for if I get the opportunity

Comment

Generally .. How long will it take until 2nd Draw/Not Drawn

Comment

Deadline for accepting permit if drawn is 9/25 so likely 2nd draw is 9/26.
                              yeah, the one I won is due by the 25th. Are they doing it differently now? I used to get several cards in the mail all at one time and they would all say that I had NOT been selected, like they had drew them all at the same time. I guess they're stretching it out now?

Comment

yeah, the one I won is due by the 25th. Are they doing it differently now? I used to get several cards in the mail all at one time and they would all say that I had NOT been selected, like they had drew them all at the same time. I guess they're stretching it out now?

No more non selected cards in mail. You check status online to see that you were not drawn. They only notify by email if you are drawn. There are several deadlines that are either the 1st or 15th of the month. All the hunts will be drawn the day after its respective deadline and all the 2nd draws will be 10 days later. On drawing day it seems to take a couple hours for all that days draws to happen and the results to get posted.

Comment

Working...
                                X