Atlas Shrugged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlas Shrugged

Almost halfway through... but if you havent read it. I VERY HIGHLY suggest it. I feel like im only picking up 1/10th what i should but thats still a lot.

Imho it should be required reading of high school seniors...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That one has been on my to read list....

Comment

I read it and liked it, but I was a total a-hole for several months after. Some say I still am.....

Comment

Originally posted by BackwoodzHank View Post
        That one has been on my to read list....
        Im doing the audio book. Been meaning to for years. Finally bit the bullet and im glad i did.

That said, it isnt action in the traditional sense, its a book you gotta think on...

Comment

One of my all time favorites. I used to have a Rearden Metal shirt.

Comment

I started it a while back, read maybe 50-70 pages. I got busy and just put it down. I've been thinking lately that I need to get back to it. I also bought The Fountainhead at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
              Almost halfway through... but if you havent read it. I VERY HIGHLY suggest it. I feel like im only picking up 1/10th what i should but thats still a lot.

Imho it should be required reading of high school seniors...

WRONG!!!!!!

Great book, but seniors have not lived enough to "Get" it. I recommend it for anyone over 21, or after their 1st kid is 1yr old, which ever comes first.

I will read it again soon, one of the best I have ever read.

Comment

Who is John Galt?

Comment

Originally posted by rockyraider View Post
                  I started it a while back, read maybe 50-70 pages. I got busy and just put it down. I've been thinking lately that I need to get back to it. I also bought The Fountainhead at the same time.
                  I read the fountain head first.
                  Then went back for atlas.
                  Never finished atlas.
                  Had maybe100 pages to go

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                    Im doing the audio book. Been meaning to for years. Finally bit the bullet and im glad i did.

That said, it isnt action in the traditional sense, its a book you gotta think on...
                    I would read 100 or so pages then have to set it down for a few weeks and chew on it.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                      Who is John Galt?
                      I am John Galt.

Comment

Incredible book and applicable to today. I've been slowly reading it for nearly a year. I lack about 200 pages. I've slowed way down on it, not sure if it's because I don't have the time or if I don't want to be finished with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                          WRONG!!!!!!

Great book, but seniors have not lived enough to "Get" it. I recommend it for anyone over 21, or after their 1st kid is 1yr old, which ever comes first.

I will read it again soon, one of the best I have ever read.
                          No sir i believe you are wrong... and the book your talking about supports my argument.

if an 18 year old MAN isnt prepared to get it then his parrents didnt prepare him at ALL for his life.

This is exactly the kind of thing that Rand is speaking against in the book ironically

To be fair i think reading at 16-30-50 would make for different take aways... but the idea that by 18 we arnt producing ppl who can think is rediculous... also i WANT them reading it while they are forming thier image of the world.

I would HIGHLY suggest that any parent would suggest it to thier kid if they think the child mature enough.

Oh fyi, we did read the fountain head in school... but it just scratches the surfacevof the ideas

Comment

I teach High School Seniors, The issue is that you need to experience some life, work, pay taxes, see the equality of how the government doles out things before you are ready for it.

I read both Beowulf and The canterbury tales in high school. It was not until I was a senior in college and read them again that I truly understood them, and this was the same for everyone I talked with.

I have not read fountainhead, but if it is shallower reading that is a great one for high school.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                              I teach High School Seniors, The issue is that you need to experience some life, work, pay taxes, see the equality of how the government doles out things before you are ready for it.

I read both Beowulf and The canterbury tales in high school. It was not until I was a senior in college and read them again that I truly understood them, and this was the same for everyone I talked with.

I have not read fountainhead, but if it is shallower reading that is a great one for high school.
                              My point is some of those kids have worked since they were 14(i did and lots of my classmates)... some are in the crap situation the dime school girl was in b4 leaving for new york.

Some are men(and women) who we can help shape thier ideals who will be responsible... some are ppl who we might wake up... heck some wont be useful no matter what we do.

But putting a book like this in front of them stretches the mind, nobody will take it all in in 1 go.

As i said i think your wrong, them not being prepped is OUR fault for not prepping... the best english teacher in my schooling put a hard book in front of her seniors, and we rose to it and LOVED her for it. You teach
                              Young men, that doesnt make them not men.

We can agree to dissagree, i will say this would make a GREAT college course, better than history of misic for sure, but they way i HOPE i can raise my kids they would get somthing out of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X