Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Budget Clothing for Western Hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Ovis has great merino products at an affordable price. They are often listed on CamoFire at a significant discount as well.

Check out the Rokslide thread ‘cheap gear that works’. 20+ pages of affordable/quality gear and clothing.

Comment

I bought a $32 dollar down jacket at Costco. It served me well in the mountains of Colorado and while sleeping in a tent at 35 degrees. Couple this with a merino wool next to my skin and I was always warm.

Comment

Picked up a 29.99 eddie bauer 650 down puffy at Sam"s last night. Packable and body mapped so your down is around the core. A bit noisy, but should quieten down some under fleece or a softshell.

Been picking up black ovis merino baselayers pretty cheap off camofire.

Best baselayers I've used for cold are from walmart. Polypro inner layer with wool outer layer. Super warm. Been using two sets of top/bottom for 15 years and haven't worn out yet. Extremely warm and beathable layers. Problem is I've never seen them carry these again in those 15 years.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Below is the type of layering system that I would do. My goal is to be as light as possible (don't want to carry extra weight), not have redundant clothing items, and for everything to have a specific purpose. I just did some quick searches for a few products as well to include links.

Base Layers: Worn regularly; all day.

Mid Layer: I use this layer while around camp in the morning, perhaps on the first AM hike if it's flat terrain/short distance. Sitting/glassing when the puffy/outer layer isn't needed. If I'm not wearing my mid-layer, it's in my pack.

Outer Layers: These items are ideal for sitting still, staying warm around camp at night, and other passive activities. Some days, these items can be left in camp, other days they are best to be packed/carried for when you set up to glass.

I would skip the Long Johns and have puffy pants, if you're hiking, you will get hot quickly even in 20*, and you do NOT want to sweat. Be comfortable being a little cold before you start your morning hike, do stretches or jumping jacks if that's what it takes; then put the puffy pants on when you get to your glassing/sitting spot.

That above totals to under $400 before buying on any discount/sales sites. Granted, you'll want an extra pair of socks and boxers.
          Last edited by Patton; 09-29-2020, 04:20 PM.

Comment

The one thing I will add that I haven’t seen mentioned is a good pair of gaiters for late season

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
              Below is the type of layering system that I would do. My goal is to be as light as possible (don't want to carry extra weight), not have redundant clothing items, and for everything to have a specific purpose. I just did some quick searches for a few products as well to include links.

Base Layers: Worn regularly; all day.

Mid Layer: I use this layer while around camp in the morning, perhaps on the first AM hike if it's flat terrain/short distance. Sitting/glassing when the puffy/outer layer isn't needed. If I'm not wearing my mid-layer, it's in my pack.

Outer Layers: These items are ideal for sitting still, staying warm around camp at night, and other passive activities. Some days, these items can be left in camp, other days they are best to be packed/carried for when you set up to glass.

I would skip the Long Johns and have puffy pants, if you're hiking, you will get hot quickly even in 20*, and you do NOT want to sweat. Be comfortable being a little cold before you start your morning hike, do stretches or jumping jacks if that's what it takes; then put the puffy pants on when you get to your glassing/sitting spot.

That above totals to under $400 before buying on any discount/sales sites. Granted, you'll want an extra pair of socks and boxers.

Great info thank you for taking the time to write that up with the links

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome info all around guys thank you all
                For your input

Comment

I got most of my stuff second hand on Rokslides classifieds. Almost all of it was new with tags but deeply discounted.

Comment

Below is my list. I don't pack the following: extra shirt, extra underwear, neck gaiter. And I make a game-time decision on bringing rain gear, gaiters, and gloves. Happy to send you my full list/spreadsheet if you want to PM me your email.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I’m a huge fan of first lite base layers. Their wool is great. Super soft and feels like pj’s. And doesn’t really smell after 7 days. Darn though wool socks have been great for me over the last 3 years. I take two pairs on an extended hunt. After that. Sitka. For that tile of year during rifle, mountain pants or timberline pants. Warm enough for 30’s temps especially if you’re moving. Sitka medium weight core base over the wool. Then a jacket. The traverse hoody is nice but it’s not wind proof. The jetstream jacket is amazing in cold temps or wind. I skied in mine for 4 days and never got cold. Jetstream beanie will for sure keep your head warm. Then rain gear and solid boots. Gotta have great boots.

Like others said, join rockslide and buy second hand from there. Always great deals and honestly, bows the time. Guys always changing gear after season. If you’re on Facebook, there is a buy sell trade Sitka page you can find great deals on.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                        I always wonder how people hunted out west before all the expensive clothes were invented.

Dying laughing

Comment

CamoFire has several BlackOvis items on sale right now. 150g hoodie for for $50 and then 250g hoodie for $69. The short sleeve 150g shirts are some of my favorite hunting/work shirts.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin View Post
                            The one thing I will add that I haven’t seen mentioned is a good pair of gaiters for late season

He’s right. I have a pair of outdoor research gaiters and love them! They are very durable and keep me dry from the knees down when walking through wet tall grass.

I will say that there are several ways to get all of this gear at discount. And a really good discount at that. Only time I buy new is when I’m able to get it for about the same price as used.

Comment

Working...
                            X