Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-13-2017, 11:15 AM   #1
breederbuck33
Ten Point

Default Question for the Game Cam users.

I have a Macbook Pro that I've been using for the last 8-10 years to download my TC pics. It was a good run but the Macbook is toast and I'm about to enter the market for a new laptop/tablet that is used for my hunting pictures only. I'm not wanting to break the bank and buy a $1200.00 machine, I just want something that allows me to download a card with 3000 or so pictures on it and go through them fairly quickly. We have 5 cameras out at a time for the most part, so being able to go through 15-20 thousand pictures quickly is a big deal for me...I know a lot of you guys run a bunch of cameras at a time so I'm just looking for some input as to what works for you.
breederbuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 11:26 AM   #2
Jared.King
Eight Point

Hunt In: Eden, TX and Yoakum County

^The exact thing happened to me this year. In for answers.
Jared.King is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 11:29 AM   #3
TheHammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co, Panola Co, TX

I went to the electronic store in Longview and bought a refurbished laptop with starter windows for $50. I use it strictly for checking cameras. It's a compact laptop too, so it makes it easier
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 11:30 AM   #4
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Maybe a Chromebook or something similar? I got a feeling my $1200 laptop on its way out also. Thank God I get a chromebook for work I can use
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 11:42 AM   #5
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke

Avoid windows 10. I absolutely hate how it handles pictures. If you only have one cam it might not be bad, but the way it sorts pictures from multiple cams sucks.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 01:21 PM   #6
breederbuck33
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
Avoid windows 10. I absolutely hate how it handles pictures. If you only have one cam it might not be bad, but the way it sorts pictures from multiple cams sucks.
How does it sort the pics?
Old 09-13-2017, 02:06 PM   #7
adam_p
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by breederbuck33 View Post
How does it sort the pics?
First, it doesn't create a new file when you start loading pictures. Window 7 would automatically create a new file with the date as the name. Windows 10 puts them in the last place you uploaded to unless you change it.

It puts each month into a different file.

Then it can not distinguish the cameras from each other.

Where in windows 7 you can go through the pictures in the order it was taken, card by card, windows 10 just jumbles all the pictures from each card together. You can sort by date, or file name etc, but when you have multiple cameras that are the same model and they name the files the same it screws it all up. I haven't found an efficient way to do it yet.

On top of all that, if you go to "pictures" to look at it, it brings up this crappy gallery display that sucks instead of just listing the files like it should.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:09 PM   #8
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Are you downloading all the pictures onto your computer each time? Why not just 'preview' them and avoid the download and taking up all that space?
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 02:10 PM   #9
adam_p
Ten Point

I'm sure there are settings that can be changed to alleviate some of this, I just haven't taken the time to find them.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:17 PM   #10
breederbuck33
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton View Post
Are you downloading all the pictures onto your computer each time? Why not just 'preview' them and avoid the download and taking up all that space?
I download all of them so that I can scan through them to make sure I don't miss anything... I save the ones I want to a file for that particular stand, and then delete all the pictures and clear the card.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:21 PM   #11
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Quote:
I download all of them so that I can scan through them to make sure I don't miss anything... I save the ones I want to a file for that particular stand, and then delete all the pictures and clear the card.
Why not just preview all of them and then grab the ones you want to keep as you see them and drop them into a folder? 'Preview' still allows you to go through all of the pictures individually or as thumbnails at your leisure as long as the SD card is in your computer.

** I think it's called 'preview' on a Mac. I'm on Windows and plug in the SD card, view files on SD card and as I come across good pics I drag and drop them into a file. Eject SD card and then delete all files via gamecam. This system works for me and I avoid downloading thousands of pics to my computer (save time and data) but still keep the ones I want.

Last edited by Patton; 09-13-2017 at 02:34 PM..
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 02:32 PM   #12
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

I've just used a cheap laptop to preview all my pics on each card. I can use the largest size thumbnail and scroll through and view like 9 pics at a time. If something catches my eye, I can quickly open the pic to full screen size and if I want to save it, I drag the pic over to a file folder on the desktop.

I can go though a couple thousand pics in about 5 min I reckon.

I haven't downloaded an sd card full of pics to my computer in years and years.

Have I missed something on a pic before? Probably

Skinny
Skinny is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 02:45 PM   #13
breederbuck33
Ten Point

Quote:
Why not just preview all of them and then grab the ones you want to keep as you see them and drop them into a folder? 'Preview' still allows you to go through all of the pictures individually or as thumbnails at your leisure as long as the SD card is in your computer.

** I think it's called 'preview' on a Mac. I'm on Windows and plug in the SD card, view files on SD card and as I come across good pics I drag and drop them into a file. Eject SD card and then delete all files via gamecam. This system works for me and I avoid downloading thousands of pics to my computer (save time and data) but still keep the ones I want.

This is what I'm after... I was using Iphoto to look through them but I don't need that particular function, if i can just drag the ones i want to a file and save them without having to download that is ideal..

Does anyone use a tablet for this? I'm thinking about just buying a tablet and being done with it.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:49 PM   #14
2coolforschool
Four Point

I download them all, go through each photo individually, "favorite" the photos I want to keep, and discard the rest. It takes a while, but worth the effort of not potentially throwing away a good photo.
2coolforschool is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 02:53 PM   #15
hunter68
Six Point

I went to a pawn shop and found a $50 laptop.
hunter68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 03:06 PM   #16
Outbreaker
Ten Point

I just use my Ipad
Outbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 03:10 PM   #17
breederbuck33
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbreaker View Post
I just use my Ipad
I feel like the tablet route should be a lot easier to go through the pictures.. Am I right or wrong here?
Old 09-13-2017, 03:13 PM   #18
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
I feel like the tablet route should be a lot easier to go through the pictures.. Am I right or wrong here?
Yep, especially during season. I do it in the blind while waiting.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:28 PM   #19
wtx223
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX

Quote:
I think computer is much easier than tablet.
Put SD card in computer, view photos, save only a handful of pictures.
Will need extra SD cards to go this route.
wtx223 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 03:36 PM   #20
breederbuck33
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtx223 View Post
Why would I need extra cards?.. We get to the lease collect all the cameras, go through pics while we are there, clear the cards, and set the cameras back out before we leave to go home.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:38 PM   #21
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtx223 View Post
I did it that way with the computer as well, so that way I spent minimal time in the area.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:39 PM   #22
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
Why would I need extra cards?.. We get to the lease collect all the cameras, go through pics while we are there, clear the cards, and set the cameras back out before we leave to go home.
Because we leave the cameras running 24/7/365
Old 09-13-2017, 03:56 PM   #23
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

Quote:

Wow. I haven't heard of anyone doing this with SD card cameras ever. Everyone I know has 2 cards per camera. Swap cards and be done.

Skinny
Skinny is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 04:09 PM   #24
breederbuck33
Ten Point

We have plenty extra cards... But we just grab the cameras while we are there.. We have 9 feeders but only run 5 cameras... We may hunt for a few days and decide to shuffle the cameras around and set them up elsewhere... I guess i forgot to mention we have a 7 hour drive to the lease so its not like we are checking the cameras every other weekend or anything like that.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:12 PM   #25
centex_aggie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Milam County

I just started using an iPad and it is great. I bring the iPad with me to each camera and download everything then sort it back at the house. I think we have a 16 GB iPad and it never has any issues with storage or acting slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
centex_aggie is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 04:23 PM   #26
HC Sniper
Ten Point

I have always just eject the sd card from the camera and replace with another sd card. Then I can view the sd card at my leisure. Keep the photos that I want then clear the card. It is ready to put back in the next weekend. This route requires 2 cards for every camera but I like it.

I like the idea of viewing all my pics while I am in the stand waiting. I need to get a small laptop or Ipad that can read a sd card I guess.
HC Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 04:32 PM   #27
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wyoming and Texas

Quote:
I do this on my iPad. Download all the pics off a particular sd card, quickly resize the ones I want to keep (so I can pick them out from the rest of the thumbnails), then hit select all, then click the ones I've resized. Then delete all. The ones I've clicked to keep are then saved to an album of my choice. It's the fastest way I've found for the iPad.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 04:35 PM   #28
breederbuck33
Ten Point

This is getting off topic... I most likely don't get to go check cameras as much as most folks on here... I'm just asking your preferred method when you do check them.. If you have a particular brand cheap laptop or tablet that has done well let me know!
Old 09-13-2017, 04:38 PM   #29
Hoss163
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Just one of those sd card readers you put on your phone work well you can save all pics you want to off of them to your phone then you can do what ever with them after that you can store them off of your phone on to a computer later if you want to ! That reader with erase all your cards as well and it's pretty quick if you don't have 2000 pics to go through!!
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 04:40 PM   #30
Randallc
Four Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton

I use my Surface Pro and a card reader. It downloads 3000 pics in aprox. 1 min. I then go through the pics later and delete the BS ones. I do this for 3 cameras, works pretty good.
Randallc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 06:26 PM   #31
adam_p
Ten Point

Quote:
Memory is cheap these days.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:45 PM   #32
Chasing_bone
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

I bought a laptop for like $300. I use it a little for work but that is minimal. I use it mostly to view pics. I do however also have a 1TB external hard drive. Works great. Oh and by the way I agree with staying AWAY from windows 10. It sucks!!
Chasing_bone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top