Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-13-2017, 08:49 AM   #1
Kamoman
Ten Point

Default Beach House (Flood Insurance)

Hey Guys -

My wife and I may be looking into buying a weekend beach house over in the Crystal Beach area. As I researched the insurance, I was amazed at how expensive the Flood policies are in the region. Any TBH Insurance agents on here? If so, PM me with your contact info and I will call you. I'd like to validate some of the numbers that I'm getting and perhaps get other quotes to review also.

Thanks,

K-man
Kamoman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 09:03 AM   #2
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch,Menard Counties

I'm not an agent but be aware of how expensive windstorm insurance is as well. You will shell out lots of money in insurance every year to have a house on the coast.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 09:20 AM   #3
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

It's gonna be sky high, they are insuring something that is basically guaranteed to have a major claim made against it or be totally destroyed.
175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 09:24 AM   #4
ultralite09
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Childress, Brady

Im an insurance agent that is licensed to write Flood Policies, what I will tell you is that you will be paying a ton for Flood and TWIA policies down on the coast or anywhere a home is in a flood plain.

A few things about these policies, Flood policy premiums are set by FEMA and regardless of which company that you buy your homeowners policy from, the price will be the exact same no matter which company you go with, flood agents are merely agents to write and take payment for the government. Same with TWIA but those go to the State.

Most flood policies ive seen on the coast or in an actual flood plain are upwards of $2k/annually.

I know this might not be much help but unfortunately it is what it is. Coastal homes are very high risk.
ultralite09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 09:28 AM   #5
deerplanter
Ten Point

Flood insurance has really gone up in the last few years and I'm surprised they even offer it there. I have to have windstorm where I am and although it is high my home owners is very cheap, they offset each other. The only way you will flood in that area is from a storm surge and I'm not sure how that would work with the windstorm.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 09:28 AM   #6
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Costal properties will have extremely high flood, and home policies
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 09:34 AM   #7
zztex
Pope & Young

I live 2 blocks off the bay in LaPorte, not a beach house. $2500 year flood insurance.
zztex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 09:47 AM   #8
Codie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young,Throckmorton & Shackleford counties

Get quotes for private flood insurance and see how much cheaper it is. In most cases it is a LOT cheaper, but I am sure there are situations where it is about the same premium. Contact Gary Blome at efloodquote.com and ask him if he can quote it through a private flood insurer instead of the federal program
Codie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 02:57 PM   #9
wal1809
Eight Point

I pay out the booty and the nose in Port O'Conner.
wal1809 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 02:59 PM   #10
Jon-Paul
Administrator

If you do buy there, well have to coordinate as I am down there pretty often visiting my Dad.

Wish I could help on the quote but I know my dad adn the rest of the family pays a pretty penny for their insurance.
Jon-Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 03:18 PM   #11
ken
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dew

Welcome to coastal living.

As stated above flood insurance rates are set by FEMA. While I originally wanted a beach house we ended up buying a condo at Pointe West in Galveston because the monthly HOA fee includes flood and windstorm insurance and is lower than we would pay for insurance alone on a house.

Our condos are in small buildings with only 9 units per building so it doesn't feel like a big hi-rise.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 04:00 PM   #12
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW.

As a flood adjuster, I'll tell you that the last people you want to deal with after a flood is the NFIP/FEMA.

Look in to Pure for your coverage - it is bound on top of and also in excess to an NFIP policy, but offers coverage and limits you can't buy through the regular government program.

https://www.pureinsurance.com/coverage-solutions
Atfulldraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top