Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 08-26-2017, 10:07 AM   #1
trophy8
Pope & Young

Default Need help with Garner SP exotic hunt

Who has been? Drew January 10-12. Rifle. Any tips? What do I need to do? Expect? I know it is assigned blinds. Do I just take normal corn? Gonna haul dads camper there if Harvey was kind enough to leave it in beeville in one piece. First draw hunt so I'm a rookie here. Any help is greatly appreciated
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2017, 10:35 AM   #2
cwbow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County

No help but should be high success rate.
cwbow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2017, 10:41 AM   #3
kruppa24
Ten Point

Hunt In: Concho

Congrats, no help here
kruppa24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2017, 10:41 AM   #4
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbow View Post
No help but should be high success rate.
Shows 20%....
Old 08-26-2017, 10:43 AM   #5
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Never done it but believe people say you get dropped off in blinds and have to stay in them. Use to be high success rates but not anymore since they started whipping out the axis with choppers the last few years...

In for responses
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2017, 11:02 AM   #6
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150class View Post
Never done it but believe people say you get dropped off in blinds and have to stay in them. Use to be high success rates but not anymore since they started whipping out the axis with choppers the last few years...

In for responses
I'm happy to go. It's worth a shot for $85 lol
Old 08-26-2017, 11:07 AM   #7
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
I'm happy to go. It's worth a shot for $85 lol
Yes sir it is!
Best of luck also
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2017, 12:04 PM   #8
trophy8
Pope & Young

Thank you. I'm assuming all other exotics are not allowed. I know there's other stuff there. Bow hunts say unlimited exotic mammals. Rifle says unlimited axis with 1 fork antlered buck
Old 08-26-2017, 02:39 PM   #9
docxtc
Four Point

Hunt In: Brownwood

I went on archery exotic hunt there last year it was a hard hunt I saw a bunch of animals but not in bow range from a ground blind I should have taken a tree stand. I got drawn again this year for an gun antlerless / spike hunt with unlimited axis Jan 1st-3rd be sure to take some chaffhaye alfalfa that do like that you can get it in Leakey at the feed store Good Luck on your hunt.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk
docxtc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2017, 03:07 PM   #10
Txfire409
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardin County, Big Thicket NP, Moore Plantation

My son and I hunted it last year on an a/s hunt and he got an axis doe but I struck out. Take corn but apparently the best bait is fritos or other types of chips as they eat that alot when campers leave it behind.
Txfire409 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2017, 03:46 PM   #11
db@100
Eight Point

It has been a few years since my son was drawn. Now he was drawn on a rifle hunt. Back then, they would drive you to your blind, tell you which direction you could shoot and which shooting lane you could shoot down. You can only shoot down the allowed lanes. The staff really was not much help. I remember while I was helping my son clean his deer, the young man next to us was looking around. I think he grand dad or someone had brought him. The poor boy didn't have a clue what he needed to do to gut his deer and before I could get to him to offer help, he drive an 10" Bowie knife all the way in and was sawing his way up. What a mess! No help at all from the staff. They didn't even help load the amnimals. I didn't need or expect any, but I did see some other hunters struggle.
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2017, 04:16 PM   #12
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by db@100 View Post
It has been a few years since my son was drawn. Now he was drawn on a rifle hunt. Back then, they would drive you to your blind, tell you which direction you could shoot and which shooting lane you could shoot down. You can only shoot down the allowed lanes. The staff really was not much help. I remember while I was helping my son clean his deer, the young man next to us was looking around. I think he grand dad or someone had brought him. The poor boy didn't have a clue what he needed to do to gut his deer and before I could get to him to offer help, he drive an 10" Bowie knife all the way in and was sawing his way up. What a mess! No help at all from the staff. They didn't even help load the amnimals. I didn't need or expect any, but I did see some other hunters struggle.
That's sad. I'll certainly help anyone I can

Did y'all see a fair number of deer? What are the chances I'll get a shot at an axis?
Old 09-02-2017, 07:46 AM   #13
TAMU1998
Nubbin' Buck

My buddy and I went last year. I never saw a deer. Not even a whitetail. 20+ hunters and only 4 axis does killed. Numbers are way down due to contract killing in the park over the last couple of years. It's like everyone else is saying...you are assigned a blind with very narrow lanes. My blind had about a 45 degree field of view and was about 40 yards long. Wish you luck but I'm afraid you will be as disappointed as we were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TAMU1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2017, 06:26 PM   #14
Deerguy
Eight Point

This has been the best discussion of the Garner hunt, last few pages are recent (last year). This hunt is run in a much more strict and restrictive manner than most of the other drawn hunts, which it OK, but you should know what to expect going in.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=498260
Deerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 10:33 PM   #15
TAMU1998
Nubbin' Buck

Attached are pics of blind locations from Jan 2017Name:  IMG_3154.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  150.6 KBName:  IMG_3155.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  79.6 KB

Old 09-23-2017, 11:30 AM   #16
Budman68
Ten Point

I did the Archery hunt last year and got off a few shots but no kills. Try to get over by the group lodges(other side of the river). Plenty of axis there and by the entrance.
Budman68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2017, 03:35 PM   #17
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMU1998 View Post
Attached are pics of blind locations from Jan 2017Attachment 872601Attachment 872602

Do you work there?
Old 10-07-2017, 03:37 PM   #18
Hunter_Man
Ten Point

Went there this summer with the kids. Tons of axis everywhere. Huge ones.
Hunter_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2017, 09:19 AM   #19
WinslowBoy
Four Point

Hunt In: Trinity County, TPWD Public Hunts

As stated, "search" for garner hunts on here and there are several threads. Different folks have had different experiences. If you are on the right hunt and in the right stand, you can kill a bunch of them. If not, it will be a long week. Earlier hunts generally have higher success rate as with most park hunts. Just like any other hunting, nothing is guaranteed.

Just know that they take you to/from assigned blinds and some of them have limited shooting lanes for safety purposes. Totally understandable. They try to concentrate the stands in areas where the axis are most commonly seen. My son hunted stand #2 on the map above. We could only shoot straight east in about a 40 degree window. Had 2 pass by on the left the first night (outside that window) and had a small herd go directly behind us at 40 yds. Just the luck of the hunt I guess.

The park has been culling axis but I was there recently and there are still alot of them. Good luck and just enjoy the hunt. There are lots of axis there and you may be one of the lucky ones that's in the "hot" stand....

Almost forgot, they recommend the molasses hay (chaff hay I believe) to draw them in. We picked some up in the feed store in Leakey after we checked in.
WinslowBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2017, 09:54 AM   #20
whitehunter
Four Point

Hunt In: centerville, and wisconsin

I stayed up there this summer as well. The Axis love love love marshmellows. I put them out everyday and watched them vacuum them up. Funny watching them eat them.
whitehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2017, 11:24 PM   #21
TAMU1998
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Do you work there?

No, took pics of the maps during my hunt there last year. Slow hunt while I was there. Never saw an axis or even a whitetail to pass the time.