No announcement yet.

Stump removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the comments guys. This stump is for my girlfriends uncle which lives in Houston. No burning allowed, however I may just burn it by smoldering anyways if I can't get it.

I live in a apartment now so space it limited. Only reason for me to own a chainsaw is for firewood during hunting season. I hunt national forest only so no camp to leave it at either. Before this I've always made due with a bow saw for firewood, but honestly that wears me out cutting enough for a fire every night and it gets old.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
      In my experience, a stump grinder on a 24" stump is a man eater. Cut the stump as closes to ground as possible, leave it for a year.then pile charcoal on one side and burn it. It.wont "burn" but will smolder with just an occasional wisp of smoke. Done it many times.
      That's what I did at our place in Liberty Hill. Lots of cedar stumps in the back. I piled burning coals on them. They would burn down below ground level.

Comment

This was in an HOA, too. Not a bit of trouble.

Comment

A Friend hired a company to cut down this huge hackberry tree. After all but the stump was gone, he drilled a bunch of hole with a long bit and filled it up with salt. Once it dried my buddy put the fire to it.

Comment

Kinestick and a 15sec fuse......

Comment

Any good stump grinder will eat that stump in minutes. You pay for the equipment not the man's time. In and out in less than 25min. The machine you rent is not the same as you hire.
              Last edited by cwbow; 09-13-2017, 10:07 AM.

Comment

If you are not used to working a stump grinder, a rental unit can work you over pretty well. Hire it done and get it over with quickly. I'll be it is more reasonable than you may think.

Comment

drill holes lighter fluid and a blower, it will smolder it to nothing in a few hrs,

should be ash by the time you finish a 24 pack

Comment

Originally posted by chew View Post
                    it's easy with any 1/2 ton vehicle. No problem.

tree trunk removal with an suv - youtube
                    lol

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                      Man, if you are seeking/needing approval now, just wait util you are married. Additionally, if a man can't justify owning a chainsaw, well, that ain't no man at all! I kid. I kid. Actually, I believe I am serious. Haaaa.

Best wishes and safe stump removal.
                      That was my first thought as well. And i was serious

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                        If you want to ruin a chain, bar, sprocket, clutch, etc......go ahead and use your new $400 Stihl. Your 271 probably came with a 18" bar. Let's do the math.

Stihl 18" Bar - $35
                        Stihl 18" Chain - $28
                        Time and frustration - $$$$

Hiring a stump grinder who can effectively do the job and leave nothing but mulch grindings.... - Priceless

A 24" Trunk is going to have a massive root ball, especially if it was an Oak. I promise you will hate everything while trying to battle that stump.

BTW, I own a Tree Service and do this everyday.
                        X2 on just hiring a service with a stump grinder.

Not sure why you would even waste a day trying to do anything else; especially if burning is out of the question.

Comment

Working...
                        X