Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-07-2017, 09:20 PM   #101
BBRU
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere....

Quote:
Originally Posted by -HIC- View Post
I hate trading trucks before they are paid for; however, when the 6.2/A10 is on the lot and not demanding a premium my truck will be traded!
Agreed, if I don't buy a duramax first
BBRU is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 09:20 PM   #102
-HIC-
Four Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntr1117 View Post
It's temping for me too. I'm not a fan of this 8 speed trans. 1st I may get mine tuned. The only problem is that I have to take out the tcm and send it in to get unlocked because gm has locked the software on 17s trans with the 8 speed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
I dont mind the 8 with the exception of the downshift. I have heard that a recent flash will fix that problem. The issue for me is that I have rode in vehicle with the A10. If the truck version is close, I will take it!
-HIC- is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 09:38 PM   #103
Jaybo31
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery County

Quote:
Which one pushed you that way? All of them will be that way in the future. If you are worried about it a tune will put the AFM to bed.
The Tahoe I have now. Yes I had to buy a $200 device to turn off AFM. Shouldn't have to spend money on a tune to turn off a crappy design. I personally know 6 people who's motors gave out. And all the other countless ones on Chevy forums. The 6.0 is not AFM
Jaybo31 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 09:43 PM   #104
-HIC-
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybo31 View Post
The Tahoe I have now. Yes I had to buy a $200 device to turn off AFM. Shouldn't have to spend money on a tune to turn off a crappy design. I personally know 6 people who's motors gave out. And all the other countless ones on Chevy forums. The 6.0 is not AFM
Wrong - the 6.0 has had AFM since maybe 2007 or 08, are you thinking of the 4.8? The only non AFM 6.0 that I am aware of is the L96 in the 2500.

Last edited by -HIC-; 09-07-2017 at 09:51 PM..
Old 09-07-2017, 10:08 PM   #105
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Quote:
I hate trading trucks before they are paid for; however, when the 6.2/A10 is on the lot and not demanding a premium my truck will be traded!
I have a company truck so getting one is silly.

My wife's Tahoe is paid for but this new RST makes me giddy...not gonna compete with the SRT Grand Cherokee but she's not a player for it anyway & this still makes me smile.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2018-...st-first-look/
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 10:17 PM   #106
-HIC-
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
I have a company truck so getting one is silly.

My wife's Tahoe is paid for but this new RST makes me giddy...not gonna compete with the SRT Grand Cherokee but she's not a player for it anyway & this still makes me smile.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2018-...st-first-look/
Well thanks for that! My truck may be staying for a while as my wife drives around in that! We have a '16 Citadel AWD with the 5.7 Hemi. She is always complaining about how lazy it is and coming from a Tahoe this will be what she wants..
Old 09-07-2017, 10:30 PM   #107
Jaybo31
Pope & Young

Quote:
Wrong - the 6.0 has had AFM since maybe 2007 or 08, are you thinking of the 4.8? The only non AFM 6.0 that I am aware of is the L96 in the 2500.

No I'm talking about the 6.0 in the 2500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2017, 10:40 PM   #108
-HIC-
Four Point

Quote:

This thread is about half ton trucks. The L96 was never available in a half ton. Unless I am just off my rocker here. As far as I remember the Vortec Max 6.0 (LQ9) was available in the half ton but that is absolutely an AFM config. The LQ4 I am not as sure about.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:18 PM   #109
Artos
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well thanks for that! My truck may be staying for a while as my wife drives around in that! We have a '16 Citadel AWD with the 5.7 Hemi. She is always complaining about how lazy it is and coming from a Tahoe this will be what she wants..
I had a 14 Durango Hemi Tuned, Cold air intake, Borla exhaust, bigger throttle body, etc...it would giddy up, but all it did was feed the monkey & how I ended up with the ZL1.

This new Jeep Trackhawk Dodge came out with is insane...go take a look. Let's put a Hellcat engine in a Grand Cherokee!! 707 HP grocery getter. Get her one & she won't complain about anything but the price. I reckon $10k AMD over sticker minimum if you are lucky.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:21 PM   #110
Artos
Pope & Young

Quote:

I don't think my 6.0 2011 2500 has ADM?? Nor does the pump, but it is impressive...I hit 297,000 miles today. I got it with 180k a little over a year ago & nothing but regular maintenance.

It's a dog on the acceleration but solid on reliability.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:21 PM   #111
-HIC-
Four Point

Quote:
I had a 14 Durango Hemi Tuned, Cold air intake, Borla exhaust, bigger throttle body, etc...it would giddy up, but all it did was feed the monkey & how I ended up with the ZL1.

This new Jeep Trackhawk Dodge came out with is insane...go take a look. Let's put a Hellcat engine in a Grand Cherokee!! 707 HP grocery getter. Get her one & she won't complain about anything but the price. I reckon $10k AMD over sticker minimum if you are lucky.
I will let this thought stay in my mind. If we go she will come home with one if it is on the lot. That will put a dent in my gun fund.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:25 PM   #112
-HIC-
Four Point

Quote:
I don't think my 6.0 2011 2500 has ADM?? Nor does the pump, but it is impressive...I hit 297,000 miles today. I got it with 180k a little over a year ago & nothing but regular maintenance.

It is an L96 6.0. They are rock solid and do not have AFM.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:32 PM   #113
ckat
Four Point

Quote:
Which one pushed you that way? All of them will be that way in the future. If you are worried about it a tune will put the AFM to bed.
Not sure about Jaybo, but a co-worker just spent over $3000 on his 5.3L AFM with 58,000 miles!!! All issues were AFM related. I'll gladly burn some more gas in order to not deal with that system.
ckat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 11:36 PM   #114
-HIC-
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckat View Post
Not sure about Jaybo, but a co-worker just spent over $3000 on his 5.3L AFM with 58,000 miles!!! All issues were AFM related. I'll gladly burn some more gas in order to not deal with that system.
Are you admitting that the Tundra burns more fuel than Obama golfs?
Old 09-08-2017, 12:24 AM   #115
ckat
Four Point

Quote:
Are you admitting that the Tundra burns more fuel than Obama golfs?
I'm actually very pleased with my Tundra mileage. It beats my old 5.3L GMs in every category - town, highway, and towing. That is all calculated...

To clarify, I will gladly give up ANY fuel mileage gained by AFM to not have AFM. Guess I'm old-fashioned, but it's just another system to screw up. And GM hasn't done much convincing that it is a bulletproof system...
Old 09-08-2017, 06:20 AM   #116
Jaybo31
Pope & Young

Quote:

You are correct. The 6.0 motors in the 2500 are not aluminum motors and do not have AFM. They are rock solid and I hope they never screw with those.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:01 AM   #117
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

No question that GM shot their self in the foot with AFM and VVT. Failure is not a question of IF but WHEN. The 5.3 and 6.0 Gen III vortec pre AFM are the best engines ever built by GM, best fuel economy and best reliability. If only they had married it with an 8 or 10 speed tranny. As for the AFM, it don't work so good. I have never heard of an AFM engine getting better fuel economy than a non AFM Vortec and the ones that have disabled it started to get better mileage by 1 or 2 mpg.

Last edited by muzzlebrake; 09-08-2017 at 08:03 AM..
muzzlebrake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2017, 08:30 AM   #118
Jaybo31
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
No question that GM shot their self in the foot with AFM and VVT. Failure is not a question of IF but WHEN. The 5.3 and 6.0 Gen III vortec pre AFM are the best engines ever built by GM, best fuel economy and best reliability. If only they had married it with an 8 or 10 speed tranny. As for the AFM, it don't work so good. I have never heard of an AFM engine getting better fuel economy than a non AFM Vortec and the ones that have disabled it started to get better mileage by 1 or 2 mpg.
Yep. I have an 04 5.3 with 190,000 and it still runs like it has 20,000 on it. Wifes 07 Tahoe has 115,00 and started acting stupid. Never had get up and go mpg sucked anyway. Bought the Range module for it to deactivate the AFM and now it has the get up and go like it should being in V8 mode all the time, runs better and mileage has actually gotten better.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:14 PM   #119
BIGTERRY75
Ten Point

Hunt In: Van Zandt, Bosque, Rockwall

Quote:
Dang, $3000? for what?
That sounds awful high unless they kept driving it when a lifter failed and chewed up the camshaft?
BIGTERRY75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 02:19 PM   #120
nueceshwy55
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Coke Co.

I have a 2010 GMC all terrain with the 6.2 with 138,000 miles, and have had no issues at all with this truck. It will jump out from under you at about any speed when you punch it.
nueceshwy55 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 02:59 PM   #121
ckat
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTERRY75 View Post
Dang, $3000? for what?
That sounds awful high unless they kept driving it when a lifter failed and chewed up the camshaft?
Lifters and camshaft, I know... Not sure what, if anything, else.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:59 PM   #122
BIGTERRY75
Ten Point

Hunt In: Van Zandt, Bosque, Rockwall

Quote:
Lifters and camshaft, I know... Not sure what, if anything, else.
I tell people all the time. If you keep driving on a flat tire don't be shocked when you have to buy a wheel.

Its cheaper to fix a small problem than to fix a disaster.
BIGTERRY75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top