Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-13-2017, 10:03 AM   #1
topshot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public land
Default Shooting Form

Does anyone here have a complete breakdown guide on proper shooting form?

I have, for as long as I can remember, always had trouble with settling my pin directly on the target when I am at full draw. For some reason, my pin always wants to settle just below the target and it bothers me. usually, i just lean back, or lift my arm right before release...but this sometimes, maybe 5% of the time, produces a shot outside the grouping and I know its because i "flinched" or "jerked".

I want my pin to settle directly on the target, so I've been trying to engage my core a bit more while at full draw, instead of leaning back, I tighten my obliques to help elevate the pin to sit directly on target.

I think I learned improper form as a kid while trying to shoot a bow that was too heavy/difficult to draw, and it never left me.

any tips on how to get my left arm (bow arm) to stay up on target and not drift below?
topshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 10:05 AM   #2
Jmsck12
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hidalgo County

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshot View Post

I have, for as long as I can remember, always had trouble with settling my pin directly on the target when I am at full draw. For some reason, my pin always wants to settle just below the target and it bothers me. usually, i just lean back, or lift my arm right before release...but this sometimes, maybe 5% of the time, produces a shot outside the grouping and I know its because i "flinched" or "jerked".

I want my pin to settle directly on the target, so I've been trying to engage my core a bit more while at full draw, instead of leaning back, I tighten my obliques to help elevate the pin to sit directly on target.

I think I learned improper form as a kid while trying to shoot a bow that was too heavy/difficult to draw, and it never left me.

any tips on how to get my left arm (bow arm) to stay up on target and not drift below?

Try holding on the x and not releasing an arrow, let down and repeat as much as you want, I did this and it helped when I had the same problem you did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jmsck12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 10:07 AM   #3
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.

Get on youtube and watch every video John Dudley has made on the subject. You also need to make sure your bow fits you correctly, draw length, peep height, etc.
Stoof is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 10:08 AM   #4
nimrodajh
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere with legal access

Might try putting more weight on your front foot. It can't hurt and I know it works wonders for helping steady your form.
nimrodajh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 10:30 AM   #5
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Green Screen

How's you stance? I changed my stance up when I was shooting 70yds.....tightened my groups up by 50%.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 10:55 AM   #6
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
How's you stance? I changed my stance up when I was shooting 70yds.....tightened my groups up by 50%.

This.

Had a fella give my 14 year old some pointers at Texas Archery sunday. He was drilling 50 yard bulls so I tried it. Danged if it didnt help at long range me as well.

He basically said to draw eyes closed and come to rest. Open your eyes and see which side of the riser your target is on. If on the right, move both feet left a hair (almost circular). If on the left side of riser move feet right. Repeat till is centered and keep that stance.

It helped my pin 'float' at 50 yards + tremendously. It no longer moves every direction. I only have to worry up and down. Confidence inside 40 boosted
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #7
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Study every detail of this image to learn perfect form

Name:  IMG_1604.JPG
Views: 557
Size:  57.3 KB
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 11:05 AM   #8
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke

Sounds like target panic not a form issue.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 11:08 AM   #9
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post

Attachment 872494
Butter face.
oktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 11:19 AM   #10
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

I struggle with the same thing shooting paper, but not on game. The "aim, let down, repeat" routine helped me a great deal, as well as blank baling--standing close to the target and shooting arrow after arrow with my eyes closed, concentrating on a surprise release.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 12:44 PM   #11
Easttxbowman
Six Point

May not be form and could be helped by putting a good stabilizer system in your bow. Less weight up front and more on the back in a downward angle to help bring the bow up.
Easttxbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 01:22 PM   #12
txdukklr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Victoria

whats wrong with holding the pin just below target.

my eyes like to lolipop the target. it's much easier for me to not fight that desire and just settle the pin just below the impact spot and then work on my release.

I'm not going to say i'm a target shooter or even in the upper end of accuracy . . . . that said I'm not a bad shot. If you are into shooting paper my advice probably sucks.

but if you are killing animals i've not ever had an issue with lollipoping the target. . . my issues have always come from trying to put the pin right on where i want to impact.
txdukklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 01:55 PM   #13
bowhntrmatt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Concho, Val Verde

I used to do the exact same thing and find myself doing it from time to time.

What I did at first was make myself drop down from the top, instead of rising up from below.
I also spent a lot of time practicing aiming without shooting.
Now I usually do a mental count to 3 once I'm on target before I think about releasing. That keeps me from snap-shooting.
bowhntrmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 03:37 PM   #14
topshot
Ten Point

thanks for all the good tips fellas.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:44 PM   #15
LHPanther
Eight Point

Your problem is between your ears, not your form. Call it what you want, I call it target panic. A few suggestions: draw your bow above the target and lower your pin on the target, gravity is your friend. Stop shooting at distance for awhile. Instead, get an NFAA 5 spot target and shoot a 60x game at 5 yards. The idea of this is to train your eyes and brain to focus on the center of the x and that it's ok to have your pin floating in the center of the x without you getting all wound up about it. Bury all 60 shots into the center of the x and keep doing this for as many games as it takes for you to become comfortable...then do it at 10 yards, 15 yards and then 20 yards. Don't let yourself advance yardage without shooting at least 3 perfect 60x games in a row at each distance. Challenge yourself to do this and you will forget all about that silly pin
LHPanther is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 10:37 AM   #16
Rat
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshot View Post

The B.E.S.T. Technique is what you are looking for, but I have no idea where you can buy a guide as such. The only way I know to get on is by attending classes to become a NFAA coach. There is a reason for this; the BEST technique is designed to be used as a guide only and not for pure learning. The BEST technique is to be taught with a coach present; that is how it is designed. So no, there is no "guide" for archery form per se.

However, there could be an easy reason you are locking up low on the target. More often than not I see people doing this one thing wrong with the same condition you are describing.

It is not target panic but it can definitely lead to target panic if left unchecked.

Watch this video for a full explanation.

Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 11:59 AM   #17
topshot
Ten Point

^ I'm going to have to try that muscle release!

thanks for the tips guys, I know right off hand that I do not raise my elbow up above my shoulder. I may try it to see if I get more stability.

Last edited by topshot; 09-14-2017 at 12:04 PM..
Old 09-14-2017, 01:03 PM   #18
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan wells, fedor, paige, rocksprings

I always feel like I'm shooting the wrong way, but when I force myself to put the pin on where I wanna hit I never hit it, close but don't hit it. When I get settled in and don't focus on the pin and just focus on what I wanna hit I'll hit it every time

It bugs me, not sure if it should or not
kd350 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 01:09 PM   #19
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX.. El Dorado, Scheicher Co., TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post

Attachment 872494

That's pretty close, but I think there's still room for improvement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 01:37 PM   #20
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

I had the same problem of holding low. I switched to a down pin and solve the issue. I think the brain is trying to compensate for the actual pin being in the way. Up pin holds low, down pin holds on.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 02:11 PM   #21
AJ the TP Guru
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Lexington/Elgin

Form is way overrated. I hear guys say all the time that bad form leads to target panic. I say, not a chance.

I'm reminded of some of the greats of yesteryear such as Dr. Fred Simmons, Jr. He won the NFAAs shooting instinctive while leaning so far toward the target it looked like he was about to fall over. There are others I can think of with similarly "unapproved" form who shot extremely well.
AJ the TP Guru is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 02:24 PM   #22
Rat
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd350 View Post
I always feel like I'm shooting the wrong way, but when I force myself to put the pin on where I wanna hit I never hit it, close but don't hit it. When I get settled in and don't focus on the pin and just focus on what I wanna hit I'll hit it every time

It bugs me, not sure if it should or not
This is how it should be done. Focus on the target, not the pin; let the body center the pin using biomechanics and a surprise release.

In order to have the pin in the right place, you must not think about the pin.

What you do takes some people years to learn.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:35 PM   #23
Rat
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ the TP Guru View Post
Form is way overrated. I hear guys say all the time that bad form leads to target panic. I say, not a chance.
I respectfully disagree.
Just because a shooter has bad form and doesn't get target panic does not mean that bad form never leads to target panic.

This particular scenario is exactly one cause. The dip-bang can be due to bad form, which will cause drive-by shooting, which (if left unchecked) leads to full blown target panic.

You are correct, I believe, in that there isn't a "perfect form" for every shooter; but every shooter has "A" perfect form, it just may not be the same as the next guy on the line.

Reo Wilde is a great example with his sever lean, Sarah Soneschen is another with her severely bent elbow and command shooting. By "most" established archery standards these are form flaws; yet Sarah is No. 1 in the world and Reo is a past no. 1. IOW, it is "their" perfect form.

But I believe there are some form flaws that can lead to target panic, as I mentioned. "Never" and "always" are two words that only rarely apply to archery.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:53 PM   #24
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan wells, fedor, paige, rocksprings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat View Post
This is how it should be done. Focus on the target, not the pin; let the body center the pin using biomechanics and a surprise release.

In order to have the pin in the right place, you must not think about the pin.

What you do takes some people years to learn.

So even though the pin isn't anywhere even close to the spot when I release this is how it's supposed to be done?

If I make myself look for the pin before the shot goes the pin is usually 3-4" off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
kd350 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 04:36 PM   #25
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Those pictures help archers keep abreast of techniques--right?
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2017, 09:08 AM   #26
Rat
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd350 View Post
So even though the pin isn't anywhere even close to the spot when I release this is how it's supposed to be done?

If I make myself look for the pin before the shot goes the pin is usually 3-4" off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Usually the pin is close to the bull, maybe not right on it, just floating around a bit. 3-4 inches is a long way off, I would have to watch you shoot to know what was going on.

But if it is working for you don't throw it away just because someone else says it's wrong.

You will notice I never give people form advice unless they are asking for form advice. Everyone shoots differently and what looks wrong to me may work for some people. I only give advice to people who are looking for it, then I break it all down.

If it is working for you and isn't going to cause irreparable damage to your body, keep doing it.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:44 AM   #27
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat View Post
Usually the pin is close to the bull, maybe not right on it, just floating around a bit. 3-4 inches is a long way off, I would have to watch you shoot to know what was going on.

But if it is working for you don't throw it away just because someone else says it's wrong.

You will notice I never give people form advice unless they are asking for form advice. Everyone shoots differently and what looks wrong to me may work for some people. I only give advice to people who are looking for it, then I break it all down.

If it is working for you and isn't going to cause irreparable damage to your body, keep doing it.

Bingo.

Tools to put in the tool box. Use the ones that work for you. Not everyone is going to stand and draw the same.

Ive never been able to squeeze a trigger on a release. Ive tried and I guess it causes panic cause my groups go all the hell. Let me snap shoot at quarters at 20 yards and I'll make change

A rifle is another story. I can squeeze on a gun for some reason
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top