Question for the boaters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the boaters

I have a question about kids and life jackets . My son is 8 and wears his while we’re underway , but when we stop to troll and fish is does he legally have to wear it ? He hates fishing with it on .
    Thanks in advance .

yes

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
      yes
      Even while using the trolling motor ?

Comment

Under 26 feet boat length and under 13yo, yes. Unless anchored.

Comment

This might come in handy:

Comment

13 and under must wear them at all times, even nosed up on the bank or parked in a slip.

Some folks are using the inflatables for kids. Please also know that inflatables are not approved by the USCG for kids under 16 years old.

Comment

Below is the law. Under 13 years old; while underway on a vessel less than 26', it's required.

While it may not be advisable (unless he's a good swimmer), the law is specific on the vessel being underway. If you are on the hook, the requirement appears to be waived. Trolling, would still be considered underway.

Texas law requires all children under 13 years of age to wear a USCG-approved Type I, II, III, or V (wearable) PFD while underway (not at anchor, moored, or aground) on any vessel less than 26 feet long, including canoes, kayaks, and other paddlecraft.

Comment

Maybe find him a better fitting life jacket. Even if it is more expensive. try several on and have him simulate fishing until he is comfortable. I (Boat Dad as well) am extremely cautious with this. My daughter suits up before getting in the boat and remains that way until on land. I have spent lots of $$$ over her growing years for comfortable life jackets for her. And would spend double that all over again. I myself also wears a life jacket full time. Bought a nice one that I can fish in. I think back as a kid and never wore one, and wasn't until I had my daughter before I started.

Comment

wear it....……………
                  Whether he hates it or not, is immaterial...…….

Comment

Another matter you need to be aware of is, your kill switch lanyard needs to be attached to the operator of the vessel while underway. That law went into effect recently (last year I think or the year before)

Comment

100%. Look for a life jacket that has mesh shoulders or sides for more ventilation.

you should be wearing yours 100% of the time to set a good example. spend the money on a good one and your won't regret it.

Comment

Yes, as he should.

Comment

I wear mine all the time on the boat so the kids just think it's normal.

Comment

I use and recommend the Mustang Elite auto inflatable PFD...
                            For laws on PFD's and boating got to the TPWD. I believe there's an app for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                              13 and under must wear them at all times, even nosed up on the bank or parked in a slip.
                              Not true. They dont have to wear one when anchored, docked, or beached. But do have to wear one when moving and that does include drifting.

Comment

Working...
                              X