Felons and firearms.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chew View Post
    Unfortunately the law was written to prevent life-long thugs from possessing a weapon. It does suck for those that have done their time and turned their life around.

Getting your record expunged is the only way I know of to be able to hunt with a firearm after a felony conviction.
    So a minor cant be considered in possession and not the adult(felon)?

Comment

Take a crossbow...and let him shoot the crossbow. Not considered a firearm.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
        All good information but I dont think anyone is actually answering the OP's question. It is an interesting one for sure. Something that never crossed my mind.....I mean if it isnt legal, how can a guy(convicted felon) ever take his kid hunting with a firearm? Forget the deer hunting, no small game hunting, no turtle shooting, no frog hunting at night, doesnt seem right.
        Simple, don't be a felon.

Comment

Say what?? Been an officer for 25 years and never heard that. I guess I need to update my penal code.
          I was thinking the same thing myself. I guess I need to get to more of those legal update classes!

Comment

So a minor cant be considered in possession and not the adult(felon)?
            The law doesn't specifically cover that. But i don't think a judge/district attorney would buy the whole story that a 9 year took his own gun to the woods and let Uncle tag along. A reasonable person would know that the adult present was in charge and probably handled, loaded it, kept it safe, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Btoutdoors View Post
              People do stupid stuff when they are young.....long before they think about marriage and kids and life long consequences.

Comment

Say what?? Been an officer for 25 years and never heard that. I guess I need to update my penal code.
                That word still generates a giggle. Every single time.

Comment

People do stupid stuff when they are young.....long before they think about marriage and kids and life long consequences.
                  This, and it's not that hard to become a felon any more.

Comment

Last word in your reply is the answer to the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Btoutdoors View Post
                      There is a book called 3 Felonies A Day that says that may be harder than you think.

For instance ever call in “sick” to work when you weren’t actually ill? Depending on how your employer’s paid time/sick time is structured, you may have committed a felony to defraud.

Comment

What about a muzzleloader?

Comment

Originally posted by sog45 View Post
                          Felon cannot possess a firearm for 5 years from release from confinement date. It could be interpreted as such in this circumstance since the child is only 9.
                          The 5 years law is state law. Federal law says you can never posses a firearm again last time I dealt with this.
                          Last edited by Pullersboy; 02-06-2018, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                            There is a book called 3 Felonies A Day that says that may be harder than you think.

For instance ever call in “sick” to work when you weren’t actually ill? Depending on how your employer’s paid time/sick time is structured, you may have committed a felony to defraud.
                            I am self employed and work everyday or don't get paid.

Comment

Never heard this either

Comment

Yes, they...er, um, uh, we do I'm proof of that...I'm just very thankful that my issues weren't with the law. I'd hate to think that my past would keep me from teaching my sons and daughters how to shoot, target practice, shoot skeet, squirrel hunting, deer (rifle) hunting, etc.

I mentioned the other day in a thread that I have a friend who was young and foolish once, and now 16-18 years later, he can't own a firearm. So I'm helping him get into bowhunting. It was a sad deal to listen to his story and see the look of sadness on his face as he shared his past with me. I would never have dreamt that he was a felon...he's a completely different man from the guy he described to me that day when he turned down my offer to go hunt. So we are gonna do something about that...bow hunting haha

Comment

Working...
                                X