3/4 gas. Which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3/4 gas. Which one?

After 11 years I think it’s time to upgrade my truck. Looking at a 3/4 gasser since we are looking at getting a 28-30’ bumper pull camper in the next couple years. I’m normally a Chevy man but have been looking at Dodges with the 6.4. Well, now I’m going to look at a nice low mileage 16 F250 tomorrow. I also came across a 13 Chevy Low mileage with the 6.0. For those with experience with these give me some real life opinions on these 3. I keep going back and forth. Reliability, power, gas mileage, interior, etc. since I’ve always had Chevy trucks Im torn. A big plus with the Ford is it has a limited lifetime power train warranty thru the dealer. I’m thinking the Dodge will have the better gas mileage and the Chevy I hear the 6.0 are almost bullet proof. Help?

you would be better off with a diesel pulling a trailer..... as far as the chevy 6.0 i sure hope they are stronger than they were when i had one,, my 4.7 dodge would outrun and out pull it under any and all conditions,, not to mention much better on gas,,, my only experience was with about a 2004 model 2500hd 4x4,,,, i was always unhappy about the lack of power

Comment

I have put a bunch of miles on the Fords with the 6.2 and I like them. The last Chevy 6.0 I had was a dog compared to the Fords but the 6.0 is a great engine. I would say drive both and go with what you like. Both have a good reputation. If you normally drive Chevys you may like it better, or the Ford may surprise you.

Comment

The 6.0 is anemic, but bulletproof. **** reliable engines, but just as reliable to be gutless and get horrible mileage. I’ve had 4 6.0 2500 Chevys. Put over half a million miles on them with a very large portion of the being on West Texas lease roads with 1500-2000 lbs in the bed at all times. They held up exceptionally well. Chevy has electrical gremlins like crazy though. Every GM ive ever had has been plagued with them. They’re just inconveniences though.

Comment

Before they quit offering it in an F250, I would have wholeheartedly recommended a V10. I owned several and they will pull almost anything a diesel will for most folks. With the 3:73 gears, I pulled a 36' fifth wheel, a 20' flat bed with my 1 ton lease truck on it as well as my M5700 Kubota tractor with disc or shredder. Empty gas mileage was in the 16 mpg range. When they went to 4:11 or 4:10 gears, it dropped to 13.6 and I couldn't tell the difference in pulling power. I have no clue what the big V8 from Ford will do, but if I were going back to a 3/4 ton, I would try it. I'm just not a GM or Dodge fan.

Comment

Biggest thing you are thinking about pulling is a 30 foot TT you would most likely be better off with a half ton. Ford with EcoBoost or Chevy with 6.2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I just got rid of a 13' f250 with the 6.2 and loved it, ran and pulled great. I wished I would have just kept it and bought my new truck out right. It was a beast and took a beating with pleasure. I cant say enough good about the 6.2 from my experience, having one as a personal truck and had several company trucks. Good luck on your decision

Comment

I’ve had several Gms and all have been solid with no electrical issues. Between my dad and me Had 3 6.0s and as said they aren’t the most powerful or fuel friendly, but they’ll never leave you sitting. You can dog the heck out of them and they’ll just keep on. I’m driving a Duramax now and love it. No issues with it except the horn had to be fixed under warranty. I think they are all good now, with the Hemi having best fuel economy. I can say from from mine and a friends experience, get 4.10 gears of you don’t want it hunting for gears, even when pulling a 16’ lowboy empty. When loaded we always kept it out of 6th gear.

Comment

Went from a Chevy with the 6.0 to a Ram with the 6.4, and I’ve been very happy so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Have 00 Excursion with V10 and 16 3500 Van with 6.0....pulling a 30’ Laredo bumper pull and neither even know it’s back there. Honestly though if that’s the biggest thing you will pull I would go with a Tundra, way better ride and it will pull it no problem

Comment

Chevy has engines don’t have enough power to break themselves...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I currently have an f250 with a 6.2 gas engine in it and I pull a 3 horse gooseneck trailer with it regularly and it does just fine. I have not had any issues with it.

I had a Chevy 2500 with a 6.0 gas engine in it before and I routinely pulled trailers with it and never had any issues out of it either.

Find the truck you like and buy it. Both engines are beasts

Comment

I've got a F-250 with the 6.2. It pulls great. I haul lots of cattle feed by the ton, hay vans and floats of large round bales and cattle. Plenty of power.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
                            Biggest thing you are thinking about pulling is a 30 foot TT you would most likely be better off with a half ton. Ford with EcoBoost or Chevy with 6.2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
                            Kind of what I was thinking. Plenty of motor, plenty of towing capacity, and throw some air bags under it to keep the ride level. This will get you a much better ride when you’re not towing. I’ll never own another 3/4 ton for a daily driver unless I’m just pulling heavy heavy all the time.

Comment

I have a 15 F250 with the 6.2 and love it. We have a 30ft TT and it pulls it fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X