Feed Plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feed Plots

I recently got on a lease near Centerville, TX and was wondering about food plots. I wanted to plant something soon, like winter oats or whatever would grow well there. They guy I'm leasing it from suggested growing peas. The soil is very sandy with red clay underneath. Any ideas would be great.

Give Turner Seed a call. They can help you over the phone with helping pick out the best food for different types of soil.

They've helped me out before

Comment

Agreed, call turner seed in breckinridge, alot of good guys who know what theyre talking about. just planted 600 pounds of seed mix on our ranch have gotten 7 inches of rain the last two weeks and its already shooting up. If the rain continues it should be a great year!

Comment

Thanks for the advice! It might be a little late in the year I guess to get started, but at least I'll have prepared more for next year!

Comment

Get a soil test done

Comment

Yeah, the guy in charge of the lease says that the soil is hard to grow in because anything like clover or other stuff is going to need alot of lye being put into the soil first. I guess a soil sample would be the best bet, thanks for the idea Dan!

Comment

If you really want and effective plot for early season bow hunting, you need to plant a good spring plot that matures through the summer that the mast ripens late summer early fall like sorghum(the dove love it too). But planting now is the perfect time, even into early/mid october you can plant an effective winter plot, if nothing else it will hold deer on your property when most other vegetation. The buck loves this when it starts to get really cold (if that ever happens). But you will find a lot of shed in your food plots if they make a good winter stand because bucks will spend a lot of time at them post season when antlers are shedding. You cant really go wrong with trying to plant a food plot just try to plan on planting if you know rain is expected the week after. Rain is key. If you have any other questions just let me know

Comment

The budget has tightened up significantly recently so I will most likely hold off on the food plot project until the spring. Also, the guy we are leasing through doesn't allow bow hunting during archery season (how lame is that). Hopefully that will change next year so that a spring plot that matures late summer/early fall will be effective during the bow season.

Comment

I have a couple acres of wheat sowed in a patch in Centerville and the deer are hammering the dog out of it right now. I planted it 3 weeks ago. Its about 6" high now.

Comment

I hunt in Centerville also and we just planted 2 2 acre food plots full of austin winter peas and oats. With all the rain we had they should be coming up good by now! I'll keep you posted on the results.

Comment

oats are always good

Comment

good info

Comment

wheat is good for deer and dove

Comment

Soil test and imperial whitetail clover....... trust me on this

Comment

Working...
                            X