Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

223 suggestions for hogs, 1:12 twist

I’m having a 223 barrel cut from 24” to 20”

It is a 1:12 twist. Previously, it shot core lokts, power points, and barnes tsx pretty well (all 55 gr)

I suspect accuracy will be just as good or improve (barrel stiffer and bedded/floated) but I’m just wondering out loud if I should look into other rounds for hunting...primarily pigs as this gun is getting the night vision treatment.

The 223, is good for head shots on pigs. I would not count on it to be extremely reliable for night time shots, to the chest. I would want something more like a 7mm-08 or 308, ect., for a gun that is primarily a pig gun. You don't always get the perfect head shot. Pigs usually don't hold still very long, change angle often.

Comment

If primarily hunting pigs, I would stick with the Barnes.

Comment

I’ve seen these mentioned before but haven’t shot them. Are they consistent?

Click image for larger version

Name:	61E5EBFB-32E6-46D2-BE91-09436CBD0805.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	24522155

Comment

The barnes work great especially out of a 22 or 24" bolt gun, have killedmany with 55gr hornady as sell. 64 gr win powerpoint, 62gr ultra bond n 60 gr partition shoot n kill well out of my 12 twist rem as well

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post

[ATTACH]886117[/ATTACH]
            I have seen what these can do and I am impressed.
            Probably not the best choice for a 300 lb. boar but great in the neck of eatin size piggies.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bowyer View Post
              I have seen what these can do and I am impressed.
              Probably not the best choice for a 300 lb. boar but great in the neck of eatin size piggies.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
              Thanks.

Buds has them for $23 per 50 round box. Pretty good price for a bullet you can target shoot and hunt with

Comment

[ATTACH]886117[/ATTACH]
                I've probably killed 20 pigs with those. Both shoulder shots and head shots. I have now started shooting Freedom Munition's Reman 55 grain soft points. There are dirt cheap (about $15-16 per 50), super accurate (Sub-MOA out of my Ruger AR-556, when Hornady's were about 1.25-1.5 MOA)
                and have killed every hog that I've shot(10-15).
                https://www.freedommunitions.com/amm...psp-reman.html

Looks like they're out of stock right now, but here's the link.
                Last edited by Raider4044; 12-03-2017, 08:29 PM.

Comment

I have used those Hornady SP and shot well with them. Work well on pigs and haven’t had any accuracy issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[ATTACH]886117[/ATTACH]
                    That's what I've been shooting. They under an inch and give great cup and core performance.

Comment

Stick with a SP that what I shoot out of mine same 1-12 twist 18" barrel and it will handle a pig no problem I've seen just as many run away from .25-30 calibers as I have .22s

Comment

Some very knowledgeable acquaintances of mine swear by the Hornady 60 grain hollow point for culling does. Not sure it's tough enough for pigs, but there are very few .224 bullets that I think are. It should stabilize in a 1:12" twist.

LWD

Comment

223 fusion work for my 1/12 for factoty loads

Comment

Originally posted by smokin feathers View Post
                            The barnes work great especially out of a 22 or 24" bolt gun, have killedmany with 55gr hornady as sell. 64 gr win powerpoint, 62gr ultra bond n 60 gr partition shoot n kill well out of my 12 twist rem as well

Any of these would be a good choice. Just stay away from the dang varmint bullets like VMax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

[ATTACH]886117[/ATTACH]

Finally got around to shooting these last weekend. We shot out to 400 yds. They did really well in my gun.

Comment

Working...
                              X