Bloody arrow help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bloody arrow help

Well I have a mystery in the form of a Houdini deer. I shot a doe this evening, low light, and thought I pinned her shoulders together. At the shot, the deer left out like a bat out of hell, tail tucked, and crashed into the creek. She thrashed in the creek for 15-20 seconds, then silence. I packed my stuff, and walked out, retrieving my arrow on the way. Arrow had very little blood, and was covered in dirt.(she was in a plowed field). Not what you want to see in an arrow but I wasn't concerned because she went down 40 yards in front of me. We headed back to camp to get the buggy and when we got back I can not find her. Blood is bright red, but very watery and very little. Any ideas?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sounds like you hit her back a bit....did you smell it?

Comment

No gut smell. From my experience, they normally hunch up with a gut shot. She left out in a hurry.

Comment

Maybe a little high. Just over the spine. It's pretty low at the shoulder.

Comment

I shot one in the brisket that had very thin bright blood...

Comment

Brisket is what I was thinking. I just don't understand her crashing and thrashing, then not being there.

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
              Brisket is what I was thinking. I just don't understand her crashing and thrashing, then not being there.

Could be, maybe broke a leg or cut some ligaments as well.

Comment

Ttt. Gonna look again in an hour or 2. It's 27* so I'm not worried about her spoiling.

Comment

Anything yet?

Comment

Good luck! High shoulder will do that or brisket. Keep us posted

Comment

Well I found her right where she was supposed to be this morning. That creek she crashed in, she made it out of. I walked the other side of it last night in the bottom but never went up the other bank. She was just at the top of the other side of the creek. Shot was 3 ribs back, about halfway up her body. Took out both lungs. I didn't even think to take pics as I was in a hurry to get her in a cooler. Still don't understand the lack of blood and terrible looking arrow.

Comment

Congrats & glad you found her!

Comment

Working...
                        X