Peep Sight Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peep Sight Advice

I'm currently shooting a large diameter peep that looks like this one...

However, I've been having trouble with the strings not properly aligning, causing me to have to look around the string to see my pins, resulting in very inconsistent shooting (quite evident and frustrating at the 3D shoot I shot yesterday here in Paris). I've never been a fan of the rubber tubing style peeps, but I'm open to suggestions.

It's time to change the original string/cables on my Razortech, so I figure now's a good time to consider a new peep, as well.

Michael
    My Flickr Photos

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    I'm currently shooting a large diameter peep that looks like this one...

However, I've been having trouble with the strings not properly aligning, causign me to have to look around the string to see my pins, resulting in very inconsistent shooting (quite evident and frustrating at the 3D shoot I shot yesterday here in Paris). I've never been a fan of the rubber tubing style peeps, but I'm open to suggestions.

It's time to change the original string/cables on my Razortech, so I figure now's a good time to consider a new peep, as well.

Michael
    I believe it's the strings not the peep. A good set of strings will not rotate/stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
      I believe it's the strings not the peep. A good set of strings will not rotate/stretch.
      2X on that one. Get ya a good set of pre streched strings or some made from 452. I had a 4 split peep like that one on my old Q2. I put a good set of Winners Choice Premium with Weatherbock and no more probs.

As to peeps them selve's, I've been do-n a lot of research; being, I've been brewing up a new concoction .

Michael, you wouldn't happen to be far sighted would ya? (seriously)

Comment

After you get a new string it will stretch somewhat and you will have to realign the peep again by relaxing the limbs and adjusting the peep in the string,at least this is what i do

Comment

Michael, I've just started using a peep and have done alot of research. Everything that I have read says that a good quality string will solve the problem. I just put on a new Vapor Trail string and y cable this weekend. Shot the bow a few times to settle the string in and tied in my peep. So far it has not moved. Time will tell I suppose. Good luck and report back on what you end up doing.

Comment

it could be the string could be the peep, try something different g5 meta or even a string splitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
              2X on that one. Get ya a good set of pre streched strings or some made from 452. I had a 4 split peep like that one on my old Q2. I put a good set of Winners Choice Premium with Weatherbock and no more probs.

As to peeps them selve's, I've been do-n a lot of research; being, I've been brewing up a new concoction .

Michael, you wouldn't happen to be far sighted would ya? (seriously)
              No, not far sighted.

Thanks for the info. I think, regardless, I want to switch to a smaller diameter peep. I used to shoot without a peep (and with a no-peep for awhile), and then opted for the larger diameter for better low light performance. However, when videoing, I don't think the peep willl be the limiting factor.

I've started researching strings and cables, as well.

Michael
              My Flickr Photos

Comment

Michael, since Mike brought up vision, I will add that I went to a peep because of my vision. I started with a no-peep and then migrated to just shooting off the string. As I have aged my pins have gotten more and more blurry with each passing year. My farsightedness has finally forced me to find a solution which for now is the Specialty Archery peep system with a verifier lens. I just made the switch with deer season ending and hope to have it fully tested prior to this fall. For now I an happy with the setup and for the first time in years my pin (HHA slider) and the target are clear. I was concerned with peep alignment as you are and finally after researching the subject, decided to make sure I had a quality string and went with the peep sight that did not use the alignment tubing.

BTW, thanks for the new forum to discuss our bow tuning issues.

Comment

I recommend trying the Tru Peep. They come in different sizes, and cost about a buck and a half in most shops. Go see Steve Story at Shoot Em Up Archer there in Paris, and he should be able to get you both strings, and a peep that will work best for you.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Larry, you must have been reading my mind . Carry on gents.

Comment

Originally posted by Double L View Post
                      Michael, since Mike brought up vision, I will add that I went to a peep because of my vision. I started with a no-peep and then migrated to just shooting off the string. As I have aged my pins have gotten more and more blurry with each passing year. My farsightedness has finally forced me to find a solution which for now is the Specialty Archery peep system with a verifier lens. I just made the switch with deer season ending and hope to have it fully tested prior to this fall. For now I an happy with the setup and for the first time in years my pin (HHA slider) and the target are clear. I was concerned with peep alignment as you are and finally after researching the subject, decided to make sure I had a quality string and went with the peep sight that did not use the alignment tubing.

BTW, thanks for the new forum to discuss our bow tuning issues.
                      So far, my eyes seem to be holding up, even 4 days after turning 40.

I appreciate the feedback. I'm enjoying the new forum, as well.

I'll probably get strings from Arrowsmith or Fatsam so I can support our site sponsors.
                      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                        So far, my eyes seem to be holding up, even 4 days after turning 40.

I appreciate the feedback. I'm enjoying the new forum, as well.

I'll probably get strings from Arrowsmith or Fatsam so I can support our site sponsors.
                        Mine held up quite a while after 40. Not so good after 50 however.

I'll try and remember to check with these two next time I need new strings but the memory thing has gone down hill just about as quickly as my vision has!

I have been using Vapor Trails for several years and since I have an account it just made it easy. Thanks for the reminder.

Comment

When I put on new Vapor Trail strings this year, it took several twist/untwist sessions on the bow press at the pro shop before I got it right the first day between shots. Went back a week later and had to add another 1/2 twist or something. Since then, it hasn't changed and that was nearly a year ago now.

Comment

ttt for MM

Comment

I too am looking for a new peep. (not to hijack) And I don't like the rubber tubing either. I have looked at several and the Tru Peep is plenty simple. I have one on my older bow and with the new string I added two years ago it is still dead on today. I have a new bow that I am looking to add a peep to and so far I see no reason that I won't put a Tru peep on it either. I am farsighted and have looked at the Specialty archery peep with the verifier, but would like to try one first before I spend the cash.

Comment

Working...
                              X