Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If a Spike is outside the ears , is it still a spike ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No question is a dumb question if you don't know the answer. Dumb might be the ones who bash the person who asked the question.

Comment

Regardless of the "filler" answers....its a legit question. Not all hunters on here are seasoned hunters and when it comes to AR counties, its nice to see someone ensuring they are legal vs shooting anything that comes out. I quit hunting AR counties in E Texas because of the hunters who were out there hunting like it was 1986. Hard to control a herd with paw paw meat hunting. Yes I know you can't eat horns, but a quality buck is a sign of good management plan.

Good on you OP. Keep up the good work.

Comment

OP, a "spike" is a deer with both antlers being unbranched. It doesn't matter how long or wide they are. I hope that answered your question.

If you hunt in an antlered restricted county then you can tag it with a buck tag and count it as an unbranched antlered deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
          Are you sure?

I do see where the gray area falls. I'll ask the warden friend and get his interpretation.
          No he is completely wrong. An unbranched antler is an unbranched antler. It doesn't matter how long or wide.

I'm not sure how you guys that have been in Texas most or all of your lives don't know the rules!!

Comment

In for pics of Grand Paw Spike.

Comment

Originally posted by Chasing_bone View Post
              No he is completely wrong. An unbranched antler is an unbranched antler. It doesn't matter how long or wide.

I'm not sure how you guys that have been in Texas most or all of your lives don't know the rules!!
              Rules have a way of changing from time to time would be my argument BUT it is our responsibility to keep up with it all which is why I don't have an issue with the OP asking the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                Rules have a way of changing from time to time would be my argument BUT it is our responsibility to keep up with it all which is why I don't have an issue with the OP asking the question.

Sorry, this was in no way pointed toward the OP. I'm talking about the people giving false advise to the people asking questions. I see on here all the time people giving advise and then being corrected because they don't read the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry, this was in no way pointed toward the OP. I'm talking about the people giving false advise to the people asking questions. I see on here all the time people giving advise and then being corrected because they don't read the rules.

I hear ya! Lots of people giving out bad advice on the internet that is for sure. Things change or are clarified and some folks are giving responses based on how it was 10, 15, 20 or 30 years ago and don't know the facts.

Comment

You can tag him as a 13" buck buck if you want

Comment

If a liberal is colorblind are they still a liberal?.......YES!!! Stay away

Comment

Either get a copy of the Outdoor Annual from anywhere that sells licenses or download the Outdoor Annual app for most any phone. And read through it carefully. I do this every year so some obscure change doesn't "bite me"...

I know it's been answered but yes as long as 1 antler is unbranced width doesn't come into play. You can still take another one over 13" as long as you abide by the county rules. They can sometimes be less than 4 deer/2 bucks.

Comment

Are y'all serious? I can actually see why the question was asked. The answer was posted in a screenshot of the regs. Not sure why it's so unbelievable that someone may not know the answer... everyone was a beginner at hunting, new to this state, or new to a county eith AR, at one point. We weren't born knowing everything... oh and the spike/unbranched antler argument again? Really? Everyone knew what he meant. Must we really debate the semantics?

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                            I hear ya! Lots of people giving out bad advice on the internet that is for sure. Things change or are clarified and some folks are giving responses based on how it was 10, 15, 20 or 30 years ago and don't know the facts.

Right? I was in Cabelas a couple of year ago. I over heard this gentlemen (50ish) telling a guy (30ish) new to hunting about the round restriction. I politely told him there was no round restriction in Texas. He started telling me how he had been hunting all of his life in Texas yada yada. I let him finish then walked up to the counter and got him a rule book. When I showed him the no round restriction rule he got mad and told me it must have just changed. I politely told him that I have been hunting in Texas since 2010 and it has been that way since I have been here. He got even more mad and walked off. I helped the younger with a few other things and left. LOL

Comment

Believe I stated I was wrong in 2-3 post prior to yours. I had just recalled seeing statements in the book that only (1) 13"+ buck could be taken. Unbranched antler is an unbranched antler so seeing that it doesn't fall into "trophy 13"+ rule" clears it up. Yeah I was wrong. I doubt in my lifetime I will ever encounter a spike with a 13" spread. If I do then I will know the rule unless it changes again by then!

Still want to see pics of this deer!

Comment

Originally posted by WCB View Post
                                Either get a copy of the Outdoor Annual from anywhere that sells licenses or download the Outdoor Annual app for most any phone. And read through it carefully. I do this every year so some obscure change doesn't "bite me"...

I know it's been answered but yes as long as 1 antler is unbranced width doesn't come into play. You can still take another one over 13" as long as you abide by the county rules. They can sometimes be less than 4 deer/2 bucks.
                                Texas Parks and Wildlife has a nice "whats new" section on their website that is nice also.

Comment

Working...
                                X